Happy food/drink discoveries born out of quarantine

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by SharptoothC, Apr 17, 2020.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

No doubt you have been seeing lots of gaps in the grocery store shelves of late. With supply chains disrupted and factories shutting down, it may get more and more difficult to buy things we are used to. If you are like me, you've had to make some substitutions. What are are some happy discoveries you have made?

For me: Medaglia D'Oro Espresso in my pour over. I'd never tried an espresso blend in a pour over before. My wife and daughted even love it, and neither are espresso fans.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

brit, Edison Carter, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I guess I've been lucky with no real supply chain gaps in terms of food where I am. Although ground lamb has been difficult to find. I've been lucky that I haven't had to get creative yet.

SharptoothC likes this.
  3. SharptoothC

It's been a little fun getting creative.

4. richgem

:eatdrink047:

My creativity has been in trying new recipes that I said I would get to when I had time.

5. SharptoothC

Any winners?

6. richgem

I made ravioli from scratch for the first time. I'm lactose intolerant so instead of ricotta, I made a filling of Italian sausage and pesto sauce. served with my homemade tomato sauce.

Sara-s, gorgo2, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  7. SharptoothC

Sounds like a winner

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tub of Publix deli pot roast + 1 can Margaret Holmes seasoned butter beans = excellent.

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. richgem

No one died or got sick, so.... ;)

SharptoothC likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

actual home cooked real food again..:)

SharptoothC likes this.
  11. richgem

Continuing the pasta theme, I found a jar of capers and a jar of calamata (sp?) olives in the pantry. Made a decent "fancy scampi" with some frozen fresh garlic and a thai chili pepper. (Olive oil and ghee base)

Queen of Blades and SharptoothC like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Sort of off key, but
    I’ve been in the kitchen more of late, and I had occasion to make green bean casserole. The trouble is, I’ve never liked the taste of mushrooms. My grandad worked at a manufacturing plant of them sometime in his past. He always called them, “s?!t pimples”, it created in me a negative perception from my youth.
    While I was formulating my ingredient list, I decided to insert cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom. I also added a quarter cup of Italian bread crumbs (to thicken it up some”.
    The idea was born in the isle of my depleted can goods section of Walmart. Not of necessity, because both the items were available, although several shelves were empty.
    I was very happy with the switch.

SharptoothC likes this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    Skillet tortellini with broccoli and pesto. I think it was a hit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, gorgo2, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. SharptoothC

My son and I did a volunteer day with a chicken farm recently. They usually sell to restaurants, but with restaurants not buying as much recently amd stores running low, they have doing community sales. 40 lb boxes of chicken at wholesale prices. A local community gets a cut of sales for providing volunteers. We sold two trailers (refrigerated tracor trailers) worth of chicken in 3 hours. My back paid for it, but I got 80 pounds of chicken for $10 out of the deal. So we have been eating lots of chicken cooked many different ways.

I visited a local middle eastern restaurant that I go to for spices and picked up a huge bottle of shish kebab seasoning that contains combines Granulated Garlic, Preserved Lemon Salt, Granulated Onion, Toasted Ground Cumin, Toasted Ground Coriander, Toasted Sesame Seed, Lemon Zest, Ground Red Chiles, Paprika, Turmeric, Sumac, Toasted Ground Black Pepper, Toasted Ground Ajwain, Toasted Ground Cinnamon, Toasted Ground Clove, Parsley Leaves, and Fenugreek Leaves, mix olive oil and marinade the chicken overnight, the cook it low and slow on the grill and serve it with homemade tatzhiki sauce. It has become a family favorite.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@richgem Your ravioli sounds delicious! My creative side has learned to make my own ketchup, as that had been in short supply. (The recipe is already posted.) I like it better as it is a bit less sweet than commercial ketchup. This is something I will keep making, even once shelves are full.

Enrico and SharptoothC like this.
  16. richgem

Thanks, Sara! I'm enjoying all the experimenting/skills refinement. And, so far, my waistline hasn't objected too much.

Today's project (making it for mother's day) was a lemon blueberry pie... store bought pie crust filled with a layer of homemade lemon custard topped with a layer of homemade blueberry pie filling. Garnished with a lemon wheel and sprig of mint.

I may need to open a (very limited menu) restaurant when this is all over. Or a Weight Watchers franchise. Either one. :D

Edit for pie pic...
    IMG_20200508_154844.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  17. SharptoothC

That pie looks amazing, @richgem ! I'm a bit jealous!

We've come up with a quick, easy, refreshing no-bake pie recipe.

One store bought graham cracker crust
    2 cans sweetened condensed milk
    6 lemons, juiced
    1 cup fresh strawberries
    1 cup fresh blueberries

Combine lemon juice and strawberries in blender. Blend until smooth. Combine in bowl with 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. Whisk thoroughly. Fold in the whole blueberries, pour mixture into crust, cover and refrigerate overnight.

I'd provide a picture but we already ate it.

gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  18. richgem

Thanks! The recipe was actually pretty easy -- believe me, I'm not a baker. The hardest part was the custard in that eggs + hot liquid can equal scrambled eggs rather than custard. If it passes the taste test (ie: my mother and sister) and you're interested, I can post the recipe later today.

Yours, btw, sounds really good and healthy.

SharptoothC and gorgo2 like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Baked a pan of brats and kraut. Turned out fine but still had the urge to brown 'em in a skillet.

SharptoothC likes this.
  20. SharptoothC

If it passed the test I'd love to give it a go!

Ours is just super simple and refreshing. I want to try some fresh mint with it next time.