Cella - Something Special

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Redrock, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The ingredient in Cella that causes the allergic reaction (for some shavers, including me) is benzaldehyde.
    It's widely used to add an almond scent to a product, and can also be found naturally in bitter almond oil (but not in sweet almond oil).

I am assured that the TFS soaps do not contain benzaldehyde. Not sure what almond oils they use, but TFS soaps work great on my skin.

Actually there are only two ingredients in shaving soap I have to avoid (as far as I know): benzaldehyde, and eucalyptus oil.
    Everything else, including lanolin and citrus oil, is safe for me.

YMMV; some people cannot stand lavender and citrus oils for a similar reason (allergy).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I felt like a Cella shave earlier this evening. British Ever Ready 1912 with a Gem Ted Pella, badger brush, The Shave Den Baebwr Shoppe Witch Hazel, The Shave Den Bourbon Vanilla As. IMG_17022019_000506_(6_x_4_inch).jpg

Linuxguile, Redrock and brit like this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Wow...I've got to work on resizing pics lol!

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

pics look good to me..nice set up..

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Just shaved with Cella the other night. Always a good shave.

6. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I love cella. One of my favorites. I'm Italian though and my mom and grandma always made these Italian cookies at Christmas loaded with almond extract, so I think the scent is nostalgic for me. Ignoring the scent, the soap just performs great for me

7. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

I think Cella is one of the best Cult soaps like Tabac, MWF , Arko.
    Cella has its own special features. The scent is strong while shaving. Creates great lather. Post Shave feeling is great.
    I use Cella if i had a bad shave before.
    No surprises with Cella. It never causes irritation.
    I have no problem with Cella's scent. It is about being Mediterranean. Almond reminds me Mediterranean like Olive, Daphne etc...
    It is a winter and may be an autumn soap for me. A little oily for summers, imho.
    I admit , i am an Italian Soaps lover. They know producing shaving soaps well.

8. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I enjoy cella also
    I have limited experience with soaps. I too consider this a “classic” soap
    I like the older, simpler soaps.
    What I have is a sample cut from kilo brick. Is this the same as product sold in the tub?

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Rob206 like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

When I first started with a tub Cella then went to a kilo, it's the same soap. I just started my third kilo.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  10. brit

brit in a box

cella was one of the first soaps i purchased when i started de shaving..the scent is ok and performance is excellent..

Ijustmissedthe50s, Rob206 and bayercy like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

@brit, my eyes tell me you're on a weekly avatar now. I hope they are right.

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

will do my best sir.when the mood strikes or i see something funny i change it..i love humour..:)

BigMark83 likes this.
  13. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I love Cella too, I just wish it did not turn brown so quickly (why I kinda prefer Tabac). I keep my original kilo brick triple wrapped in the bottom shelf of the fridge and cut off small pieces as I use them but even the smallest portions discolor rather fast. Probably nothing wrong with it for using but it looks awful after a week so I try to only cut a few shaves worth at a time. I guess I need a little bar fridge in my bathroom for keeping Cella and menthol aftershaves cold. Hmmm...... (can already see my wife's eyes rolling as the thought comes to me).

14. Ijustmissedthe50s

20200514_224526_copy_600x800.jpg
    I know there's really not much to say about Cella that hasn't already been said, but I just had to revisit this @Redrock thread. Both @AmyWarner and myself are crazy about this old standard, and each have it in our setups. One of two in my den that I actually oooh and aaah over when I use it lol. As @Redrock so simply stated...it truly is Something Special.

brit likes this.
  15. Tallships

If I didn't know better I'd say someone was adding more Cella to my bowl at night, A tablespoon of Cella that I put in it a 2 weeks ago seems to be thae same amout that I put in. Could it be that Cella Angels are adding to a Dollop of Cella? I only use 3 soaps Cella (kilo), Tabac (refill bowl pressed), and Arko (bowl pressed) . Used 2 tablespoons of Cella since Dec. and shave daily.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Leclec13 like this.
  16. Ijustmissedthe50s

A little definitely goes a loooong way. I've seen your posts on having the kilos before. If I recall correctly, don't you refrig yours? Any worries about any of it ever going south? And it's like the old joke...How can you tell if there's been an elephant in your refrigerator? You see his footprints in the Cella. (Well, Cella, butter...same thing lol).

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Tallships

Never had a problem with Cella going bad in the fridge, it lasts for years. I just spoon off a dollop re-wrap it, put it in a ziplock bag to seal in its scent, Don't want Cella smelling like last nights pork chops or visa versa.

18. Judoguy

Judoguy Member

Cella is better than Vitos and Valorba is just a little better than Cella.......

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

49836A4C-5345-4049-B1F7-2CC3CE4E2A89.jpeg

Gemini Shave Month (Twin shaves-same set up two days in a row).

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Drew Dick 7/8” Half Hollow Damascus
    Brush: Sawdust Creation Studio Old Cahaba
    Lather: Cella Crema da Barba
    Aftershave: PAA Chella Cool
    Additional Care:
    Barbero Alum Block
    Stirling Tea Tree Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Felt like a Cella morning following the workout. I am going for a repeat performance with this set up tomorrow.

20. razorhead63

razorhead63 Member

Thought I’d revive this older thread just to say I too am a Cella fan. Fabulous soap at a great price. Such a creamy lather slick and moisturizing. It’s old school formula is @great. I plan on buying a kilo of it. It may be my only soap I use in the future... love ‘it!