Safety Razor Blade Gap Table..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Vlasta, May 20, 2020.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Guys - I seem to remember someone published a table with the blade gaps and exposures for most of the popular razors. Does anyone have it or a link to it?

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks Jim.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

There was another chart that was circulated a few years back, but I was unable to find it.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not exposures. And without that information blade gap info is only really useful for comparing razors within the same family where exposure is generally alike or similar enough (ie Gillette).

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Primotenore likes this.
  7. bakerc7

bakerc7 New Member

I've been wet shaving for almost 9 years. I love it! Shaving used to be a painful chore. Now, painless and pleasurable. OK. I think I've had a breakthrough. Blade gap mostly how tall of a whisker it can cut. Gap = distance between safety bar and blade.
    Blade exposure how much pressure is built into the razor. Exposure = lay a straight edge top cap to bar, blade edge above positive.
    Blade reveal I think affects the rigidity of the blade. Reveal = look at razor form top, do you a little or a lot of blade? The less you see the more firmly the blade is held.
    So, to find out how aggressive a razor is: You would assign a value to all three categories, then add them up.
    I bought a cheap cheap razor at first. WOW what a monster!! I dug it out of the drawer. I just used the mark 2 eyeball to measure. The gap was big, exposure way positive! Reveal about a quarter of the blade :) I have other razors that have about the same measurement in each category, but less in the others. They shave nice.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too much to think about, for me :)

I just shave :shaver

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just an FYI, the guy that asked about the chart makes razors.

...but yes, I agree with most of your statements. Rigidity of the blade is not necessarily dictated by the blade reveal. Where the blade is clamped and how it is curved are also factors that add or detract from rigidity. Slant razors, as an example.

brit likes this.
  10. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Agree. Blade gap is just one factor that determines aggressiveness.

TMI - when I started wet shaving during the beginning of the pandemic, I really cared about such things as blade gap. On Gillettes with the solid bar, someone out there online had directions to adjust it. I was nuts about making everything perfect, so I'd adjust everything to perfection. Over time, I came to not really care much about blade gap or aggressiveness. More aggressive or less aggressive didn't really matter to me, I'd just adjust my technique to match - then shave away. The only time I care is if the blade gap is different on each side of the razor (maybe a previous owner dropped it or squished it in storage or some such thing). On razors with different gaps, I still adjust 'em to make them match. Don't care what the gap is so long as they match.
    :)
    - Bax