May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Beautiful pic and great shave report. I’m going on shave #3 with my new Supply, and shave #2 with the modified Feather Super.

Edison Carter, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Gorgeous kit, as usual, Keith! Love the Damascus grain on that blade!

brit, clint64, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Joe!
    Beautiful, Blair!
    I have a Zingari Man Sego blend soap. One of the best soaps in my den and the best when it comes to residual slickness.
    Thank you, Jeff!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, brit, b1hart and 3 others like this.
  4. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I know what 4 out of 5 of those things are, and I'm too scared to ask about one that I don't :happy102:

I've heard about the Wunderbar, but don't recall getting a very close look at one till your last couple of posts--that's a very nice looking razor! Sleek. Even if you include the Gillettes in the rotation with the Wunderboar, what about the Russian misfits that time forgot? ;)

Great shave and report, Neal--have a fantastic weekend!

5. timabababaluka

Wonderful shave and report, Keith--from scales to shape to the steel, that Drew Dick is a gorgeously designed razor. Love it :D

That is the 2nd super lather I've seen in the last 2 days--something I've never tried, but always been curious about.

Edison Carter, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  6. timabababaluka

Smoked. Orange. The label says A Love Letter Written to Oranges, but somehow it feels like it was written to me--sounds incredible :D

Beautiful photo--again, you've got some fantastic shadow-play going on that puts me in mind of the classic Noir films. Awesome!

7. timabababaluka

Awesome--I love it when photos of Mobile Command's shave caches get leaked. Some fortify their dens in the sides of mountains while others amass a fleet of gear, ready to go at a moment's notice ;)

Edison Carter, brit, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Tim!
    Nordost is a good one. Natural orange with a very subtle smokiness. So subtle I'm not sure that I smell it or talked myself into smelling it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. timabababaluka

Great report, Paul--sorry to hear about the weepers, though. You know, CVS makes a generic version of AV that comes in a bottle with a very small opening. So small in fact, that you squeeze the bottle in order to get the amount of AS that you want. Even if you didn't care for their take on AV, it might be worth looking into just for the bottle. I just use a Cholula hot sauce bottle... I like the glass ;)

10. timabababaluka

Awesome photo and gear choices, Mark! Coconut Lime is always a winner, and the design for the brush handle is amazing :D

brit, clint64, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  11. timabababaluka

Awesome, Blair--Frigga's a gorgeous razor. The 2nd Drew Dick Damascus steel razor I've seen today. Love the look of Damascus steel. The Zingari Man SS sounds fantastic :D

12. timabababaluka

Thank you Jeff! That's my summer goal: learn how to take care of my straight and keep it sharp :D

Edison Carter, brit, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Super Saturday Shave Blair!

timabababaluka, brit, b1hart and 2 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

He does great work both the steel and the scales. He scales always look fantastic.

15. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

May 30th
    MAYhem
    Straight Razor Saturday

Razor: Sharp scrap steel
    Brush: MrEE #1
    PS: Proraso Green
    SS: MLS Colonia Di Agrumi
    AS: Proraso Green

What a lovely way to start the day. I will have 1 day of May to go. Going to put shave number 25 on the FHS blade. Even though it's fading, It's still shaving well. Stropping the VAS works. I may keep the blade and go for 30, but I am eager to shave with some new hardware.

The Scrape Steel Razor looks pathetic but its extremely sharp and handles well. I had been worried about the temper, but the edge is holding up so far. It gave me a 3 pass DFS shave. I could have gone for more but I like being irritation-free.

PSX_20200530_085731.jpg

We cut the basic shape for my son's knife and realized we need a bevel jig to really do a good job. So that project is waiting on some angle iron. My razors are also on hold just until things settle down a bit at work. Grinding on the CNC is involved, but I am determined to make it work.

9nein9, jtspartan, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  16. MrEE

I would try original Valet blades if I had them, but the FHS seem to work just fine. Good luck! let me know how it goes. If you can find some 2oz leather, that seems to work well for a strop. It has to be about 1 mm thick. Leather that this can be hard to find.

Agreed, I have friends who are out of work. Besides financial worries, they have little to keep their minds busy. I can't even imagine how much worse that would be.

Thanks Joe! How are you?

It's been a fun month Tim! I admit I changed my shaving technique to go easy on the blade and all my irritation issues just vanished. Not only did I get to try some cool stuff with vintage gear, but I also improved my shave. Awesome!
    Thanks Gary! Yep, I'm doing great. How's life for you these days?
    Thanks Blair! I'm kind of hoping we'll see a few more VAS' in daily reports. :)
    Thanks, Jason! I need to go back and find the MAYhem posts. I didn't see how yours turned out. :)

17. MrEE

Very nice Jason! It sounds like fun. Honestly, it's kind of educational to shave with none traditional stuff.

Hmmm... I'm thinking a slitting saw and set screws. :) I wonder when the thrift stores will open so I can get a few supplies. ;)

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You too, Jim...all worked out well in the end, given the 3 weepers.

brit, Trigger, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Thank you Jeff....how are you?

brit, Trigger, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

We have geese here, but I'm not sure they are of the sodomy persuasion of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.