SoS: May 2020

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Tim Spencer, Apr 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Happy birthday
    :bounce017::greet002::bounce017:

clint64, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Merry Mixed Up Month of May!

May 30

Razor - The Wunderbar
    Blade - [​IMG]
    Soap - Stirling Fair Debonaire St. Louis 2018
    Brush - I*V10 Hybrid
    Post - Alum

I'm just going to finish out May with the Wunderbar and Sharp Star. No reason to break up a good thing with only a couple of shaves left, including tonight's. I pulled out the Fair Debonaire LE soap from 2018 here in STL and used the big hybrid I*V10 to make a glorious lather out of it. And, with that 50/50 boar/badger brush....man oh man that feels so good. Another two pass shave to BBS with this big, heavy slant razor and all's well in the Lou!

One more day to go. We've been a little slower this month but hey.....with the pandemic and everything else I get it. Thanks for all the great shaves and conversation up to this point and we have one more day to go! June will be up in the next 12 to 18 hours, so until then let's finish May with a bang!!

[​IMG]

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

May 30th SOTN
    Canadian prewar Tech w Astra SP
    Omega Pro/ Walnut & Brass
    Palmolive Shave Stick
    Thayers
    Florida Water
    4815442F-6C4B-4BF0-A219-9668FEDBAB9C.jpeg
    Have a great night all!

4. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 05/31/20

Weishi 9306
    Wilkinson (18)
    E-Shave Badger
    Stephan Deluxe
    Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block
    Stetson A/S Lotion W/Aloe

Have A Great Day! DSCF4731.JPG

5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

SUNDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Razor - Gillette Red Tip Superspeed circa 1955-1960 (Re-plated in Satin-Nickel Finish and re-painted tip in Radiant Red color by Razor Emporium.)
    Blade - [​IMG] *5th shave
    Shave Brush - Ever-Ready 1960's vintage (Polished and re-knotted with a synthetic 26mm Ubersoft II knot from Envyshave by Razor Emporium.)
    Shave Stand by by Desire Metal Works
    Suds - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Original" Cream (Made in India) *I dried it out for months into a hard soap within the vintage cup.
    Aftershave - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Classic" (pre-2016 scent change)
    Post-Shave Balm - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Mysterium Serum"
    Deodorant - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Classic"
    Fragrance - Procter & Gamble Old Spice "Classic" (pre-2016 scent change)

*EDIT - 1 pass + BBS chase clean ups. Got 5 minor bleeders and a opened up a acne pimple on my neck under my chin. A blood bath compared to my usual shaves. Every one of them clotted up well before I finished the shave, except the pimple. The aftershave gave a welcomed sting to put the minor skin injuries to bed. I think going with the blade to a 5th shave was a mistake this time around that likely caused the high number of bleeders. But then again the red-tip does lean aggressive.

**I opted to go with the pre-2016 Old Spice because I wanted that deeper, more amber-dense experience.

FYI:
    In January 2016, Procter & Gamble changed the scent of its Old Spice Classic After Shave. According to the product's website, under ratings & reviews, the change was made in order to "comply with new regulations".

IMO, the biggest 'change' is in the richness of the ambery base of the scent. Traditionally about 3-4 hours into the colonge, a very rich and enjoyable cinnamony, deep amber scent takes the stage and stays for the duration. The current version is thinner, more powdery-floral in the opening and the amber in the dry down is there, but it's dialed WAY down. Although the current version is still pleasant and smells similar to traditional Old Spice....the experience in the dry down is quite different for me.

Up until that 2016 admission by Procter & Gamble of changing the scent, the company vehemently denied changing the original Shulton fragrance. We all know better though. It's likely that P&G "reformulated" with cheaper chemical fragrance ingredients but at tried very hard to come as close as they could to the original. But clearly in 2016 the company had to admit they altered even the original intent of the scent due to regulations. The European Union's IFRA regulations are very likely the reason for this change. So, another classic forever altered by overbearing regulations. I still enjoy the new version, it's just different now.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    ilts, alfredus, jtspartan and 16 others like this.
  6. AlfredoT

AlfredoT Well-Known Member

2020-05-31, Sunday

Today I repeated (almost) yesterday's shaving to try the same soap with a different scent:

it's not my thing.
    But I'm smooth!

[​IMG]

And, even today, a tasty electronic joke!

[​IMG]

Sapone PS: Valobra Glicerolanolina
    Sapone: Pannacrema, San Francesco
    Ciotola: La Mariolina
    Pennello: Oumo LE ‘Frighting for 2020’, 072/102, Manchurian Finest, fan
    Rasoio: Gillette, Slim Adjustable, 1961 G4
    Lametta: Personna, Tomy
    AS 1: MilMil, Figaro Gel
    AS 2: MilMil, BeMan, Balsamo Polivalente
    EdT: Vicious, Ira
    ST: Chet Baker e Paul Bley, Diane 1985

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod200531.JPG
    Lather Catcher Sunday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Palmolive Shaving Cream
    Ever-Ready C-40
    J.A. Henckels Rapide
    J.A. Henckels Wedge
    CWR
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal AS

The Palmolive Shaving Cream face-lathered well with my Ever-Ready C-40 Brush. Two passes and touch ups with the J.A. Henckels Rapide Lather Catcher with a J.A. Henckels Wedge blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Pinaud Lilac Vegetal AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

8. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sunday morning:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash
    Razorock Plissoft 26mm Monster
    Super Speed/Derby day 2
    Bundubeard Kudu’s Kick SS
    Prep ASB
    Folsom & Company Black Powder AS Splash
    Bleu de Chanel EdP

With Jaco’s soaps you’re guaranteed to win every time - this Kudu’s Kick is supposed to be the medium menthol level but let me say that it gives a damned strong punch which is comparable to Stirling’s Frozen Tundra soap. I love the coffee/peppermint scent, its lather becomes so thick as well as slick, and the skincare is fantastic. The Prep has become my favorite balm, and the Black Powder aftershave smells so nice, yet it doesn’t clash with any fragrance and it has a lot of menthol chill in it. Today’s shave was a three pass BBS work of art!

Have a great Sunday - be safe and healthy!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

clint64, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sorry @alfredus, I was trying to say my birthday kicks off the month of May, not ends it. Sorry to have miswritten, but thanks for the thought anyway :).

alfredus, clint64 and brit like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Thanks for the thought, but I miswrote.....May 1 is my birthday-thus May can't start without my big day.

clint64, brit and AlfredoT like this.
  12. AlfredoT

A Very Merry Unbirthday to You! (yes, you)

clint64, brit and Paul Turner like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Despite the presence of 3 weepers(all harmless but still they hadda show up, y'know?), I was pleased with my work this morning. The Central Texas Soaps brand of choice(Weekend Rodeo)reacted strongly to the 0:25 of loading the Crown King(Spindle Duro Tali)brush. It was another "You're gonna need that second pass" shave(first one a little too watery, but did well). I was a little off stride on the "Y Formation" style neck shave, but I struggled to make sure nothing was missed. The peephole of the aftershave(same brand as the soap)is quite small, yet still a lot comes out if you aren't careful. I wasn't careful, but at least it wasn't of the Niagra Falls persuasion. Came on hard, but is gradually settling down as I write. Pure Texas leather "y'all" :). Very Excellent, but without the weepers it would have been a higher rating.

ilts, alfredus, jtspartan and 10 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Well, let me say thank you so much...(waiting...waiting,...are you going to let me? Chuk-yuk-yuk).

ilts, clint64 and AlfredoT like this.
  15. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Sunday's Shave

Schick E2
    Personna Blade
    Wild West Brushworks
    Barrister and Mann Seville
    Pinaud Clubman VIBR

SOTD 05.31.2020.jpg

jgreenepa, ilts, alfredus and 16 others like this.
  16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

May 31, 2020

Blackland Blackbird
    Wizamet Super Iridium
    Shavemac Silvertip D01
    Barrister and Mann Lime, Lavender, and Cedarwood
    Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender

[​IMG]

ilts, alfredus, jtspartan and 14 others like this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Sunday:

*showered last night so just the shave this morning
    ShaveSecret PSO
    Gillette FatBoy (7) 2+ passes
    Parker Premium Platinum (1)
    CRS French Vetiver cream in a warm bowl
    Omega boar
    Thayers unscented WH
    Fine Green Vetiver A/S

First time using the Parker blade. For a maiden voyage it did a very nice job. I'm looking forward to the next few shaves with it.

IMG_0329.jpg

ilts, alfredus, jtspartan and 15 others like this.
  18. AlfredoT

The FatBoy looks strange to me: I see a copper color ring and the knob has no chrome: age?

clint64 and brit like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

63DCE163-240E-4B61-9F0E-2BA11DAA7D79.jpeg
    SOTD SUNDAY, MAY 31, 2020

RAZOR: SS Supply V2
    BLADE: Modified AC Feather Super (3)
    PREP: Cold water rinse
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 24mm Synth knot ferrule
    SOAP: Stirling Glacial Obsidian enhanced w/ 3 drops of M-Bomb
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphrey’s Lilac WH and Glacial Obsidian AS Splash

ilts, alfredus, jtspartan and 14 others like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice, some effort went into that display.

Tim Spencer, clint64 and TommyCarioca like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.