Kitten breed ID assist needed

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, May 31, 2020.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Youngest daughter is about to turn 10 and has been wanting her own cat so I picked up this 8 week old Craigslist special today. I've had a dozen cats over the years but never anything with points in it's coloration. Between that, the blue eyes and solid dark tail, my guess is Siamese mixed with Tabby somewhere along the line, if not the parents (exact parentage unknown). Any other ideas? Low res pic...

20200531_120453_resize_49.jpg

Intrigued, Enrico, Droo78 and 5 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Maybe an Oriental Shorthair mixed with traveling salesman, but it won't really matter to your daughter.

She's a cute little kitty. Enjoy.

BigMike, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wild looking cat, that's a new one on me.

brit likes this.
  4. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I am usually pretty neutral towards cats, but that one is cute. Hope she is a good mouse catcher.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That is a purebred fluffers. Not to be confused with woofers, which are a different breed of animal altogether.

Cute cat, no idea on the breeding. :)

6. Intrigued

Intrigued Active Member

There is probably some Siamese mixed in there from the looks of the brown markings and blue eyes. But he/she hasn't got the color points covering the nose and mouth or the color points on the legs (that I can see from your picture) that would be the typical markings of a Siamese. The kitty looks like he/she is sporting a very nice "Van" coat pattern.

Here are some links to help explain more about bicolor patterns and "Van" markings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicolor_cat
    https://pethelpful.com/cats/Bicolor-Patterns-in-Cats

Here is my guy with (Seychellois Huitieme) Van markings. His name? It's "Vanish" of course. :D IMG_4355.jpeg

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's a 100% blue eyed killer cat. :cool:

Guaranteed to purr you to death. :sick013:

Congrats!

:signs021:

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I don't know, looks like a Burmese mutt mix to me... Burmese are more common in the U.S. and are often mistaken for Siamese.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

She's already heck on skates but hasn't made a peep. Very unusual.

brit, Enrico and Intrigued like this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That's a Domestic Housecat.

gorgo2, brit, richgem and 1 other person like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Are you sure?? ...... Those whiskers are just hiding three inch fangs and she's just looking for a target for her razor sharp claws.

She looks at least part saber tooth tiger.

hqdefault-3.jpg

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    gorgo2, Shaver X and brit like this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Wow, she looks pissed. I had a girlfriend give me that look once when I left the toilet seat up.

gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:angry019::pri:

:happy097:

brit likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Her nickname, from me not daughter, is Ferret. That's what she acts like, a weasel (on coke).

brit and Enrico like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Van markings are dark feet and tail?

Enrico likes this.
  16. Intrigued

Intrigued Active Member

Not exactly... Classic Van markings would be all white with colored tail and head splashes, which I think describes your daughter's kitten from what I could see in the picture you posted and what you described. If Ferret only has markings on her head and tail, she is more of a "Classic" (Seychellois Neuvieme) than my guy who also has markings on his legs (Seychellois Huitieme).

From Bicolor cat- Wikipedia:

The Turkish Van (white and red) is one good example of a bicolor breed. Van pattern is known to animal geneticists as the Seychelles (Seychellois) pattern and is classified into three variants:
    • Seychellois Neuvieme is white with colored tail and head splashes (classic Turkish Van pattern).
    • Seychellois Huitieme is white with colored tail and head splashes plus additional splashes of color on the legs.
    • Seychellois Septieme is white with splashes of color on the legs and body in addition to those on the head and the colored tail.

Enrico, gorgo2 and brit like this.