Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Still use mine regularly, for knives, tools and straights. Did a video on an oilstone progression a day or so ago.

DaltonGang likes this.
  2. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Still a top finisher for me...either a BA or a Coti or escher, escher seems to be winning the top spot for now, I was not comfortable with the small escher compared to the bigger stones, but I persevered and learnt how to use it and it became my fav finisher, second would be the BA with the Coti in a close 3rd place.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

This is my set of Arks

1 Soft Arkansas 6"
    2 Hard white Arkansas 6"
    3 Hard Black Arkansas 10"
    4 Surgical Black Arkansas 10"
    5 Arkansas Translucent Extra fine 6"
    6 Washita 8" x 2"

These are what I use

upload pic 1.jpg

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very nice set of Arkies. :happy088::happy088:

Billyfergie and Ice-Man like this.
  5. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A few new stones to the den. A 2x4 translucent alongside another 8” I had far a while. Both are transitioning stones, part Trans and part Black. Unique contrasts in color. Tagging along are two recent 8” pickups, a Bear Norton and a Pike Norton , both hard blacks. They give up long lasting edges

D467FAF0-C9D2-4502-A800-2796ECDB0084.jpeg 895FD0E2-77BA-44D0-A687-A11F5A885ECD.jpeg 59160D23-E82D-4A3E-8CF3-D0EAE8E7A8E5.jpeg 1786EB04-7C5B-42AE-A4BE-9D458F2B8627.jpeg

6. Timwcic

A name you don’t see often. War Eagle Whetstones that guessing are from the 70’s. A soft and a surgical black, 8x2x1 and as a bonus, a aluminum holder base. The SB is more Smokey than jet black. Has a slight sensation of grit. Have not used these yet but will get they turn to,prove themselves

515DE444-A619-4C95-9C7C-F9A2A619767A.jpeg 55E2F0CC-6950-41A5-898F-8B1DB8B47B33.jpeg 81E5ED08-38AF-4528-B1D3-C7E2F2B01D21.jpeg D0184F51-5E6D-4CF0-A645-DECAF41BEB17.jpeg E84221C0-EA4F-4A55-8F2B-A2CB25A3BDFB.jpeg 38BEDB69-7001-4747-BF16-E914785D602B.jpeg

7. DaltonGang

Billyfergie and Timwcic like this.
  8. Timwcic

Thank you. I love my Arks. I find that a well refined edge put on a true hard is a shave that is hard to surpass

Leclec13 and DaltonGang like this.
  9. BullRush

BullRush New Member

Yes. I have a Shapton 12K & still use my black Ark, that I have lapped at 1500 one side, 2500 on the other, to finish.

10. CLEMSON TIGER

CLEMSON TIGER Active Member

I totally feel the original poster’s pain- just this past week I received in the mail, straight from Ukraine- a 1967 “Yahta” Stainless Soviet straight razor made in the Labor factory in Vacha, USSR. Hoooooly dinks, kinks, chinks, & chips Batman!!!! No kind of edge AT ALL and the bevel was non existent across 1/3 the length from the heel on out. I spent a total of 10 hours working on this thing- BUT- yesterday I shaved with it and keep in mind I’ve only been using straights for 6 weeks- my first EVER DFS on a straight. That thing was sweeeeeeeeet!!! It’s the third straight I’ve acquired- and I’m considering getting more- the performance was awesome! Oh- I named it “Natasha”

Back to the topic at hand, I have just begun the rabbit hole plunge- I’ve recently gotten ceramics for honing progression, but I’ve become intrigued by the beauty of the natural stones- I’m also intrigued by the fact that IF you had a solid quality natural stone, I’m guessing, all you’d need was a bevel setter & your finisher rather than the 1k, 5k, 8k, 10k, 12k, 15k like I have in ceramics, lol!

I’m looking around for blacks, translucents, and black translucents. I’ve seen Dan’s and the Natural Whetstone company- the price differences are such that I don’t know if the quality is the same because of the differences in price? Dans is way pricier and I’m wondering what they have that’s better in quality- the price differences are pretty huge-

Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Dan'S stones are higher because they are lapped flat the 1st time. Others usually need to be lapped, like I had to. Same quality of stone, its just how they are finished.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  12. CLEMSON TIGER

CLEMSON TIGER Active Member

Thanks for that- that’s what I wasn’t getting-

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

Sorry, Dan's Stones, not Dances. Auto correct screwed it up. I corrected it.

Billyfergie and CLEMSON TIGER like this.
  14. DaltonGang

I'm still loving my Arkansas Surgical Black stone. It puts an incredible edge on a blade. It is the last stone used, in the progression of finishing stones. I would ideally like to have a larger size. Mine is 6x2 inch, but 8x3 would be better.

15. DaltonGang

I looked around stone shops, in and around Hot Springs Arkansas, the past several days, and nothing but junk. At least nothing good for razors. Anyone know of some working Novaculite mines in Arkansas? The only one I know of, so far is Dan's.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  16. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Karl G, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I was at their gift shop, and didn't see much. Next time I am up here, I will speak with him. Thanks.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Any new Arkie acquisitions??