Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!!!

Redrock likes this.
  2. Tiredricefarmer

Did some ribs a couple weeks ago and tried something different that you may be interested in. After the first hour of smoking 3 racks I put them in an aluminum pan, covered with foil and finished cooking. Basically the same as wrapping but this turned out better. They’ll get ready faster and the results were great! The juiciest ribs I can ever remember cooking! The juice ran everywhere. My 80 yr old dad who’s a rib connoisseur said they were the best ribs he’d ever had! High praise in my book! :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Redrock, Edison Carter and PanChango like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice.

I had ribs on the mind and did a rack of spares yesterday. They took about 7 hours with a mix of Cherry and Beech wood smoke. I wrapped them for about 45 minutes once they reached stall and then let them finish unwrapped. Today, I ground the trimmings and made a nice pot of chili.

2020-06-01.jpg

4. Tiredricefarmer

Well done! :happy096:

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks.

6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

@Tiredricefarmer and @PanChango thanks for the kind words. The debate continues on the Inet between the wrappers and non-wrappers. The non-wrappers say wrapping is a crutch while the wrappers say it is the only way to go. The original concept is 3-2-1. 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped, and then 1 hour unwrapped. I like wrapping. However, with the baby backs I do a 2-1-1. With butts I wrap at 165 degrees and leave it wrapped until 190 or so degrees. Then rest for 30 minutes to an hour. This technique hasn't failed me yet.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The wrapping argument is on the same level of Ford vs Chevy, 9mm v 45ACP, etc. You can also add the sub group amongst wrappers, foil vs butcher paper... It probably won't be answered anytime soon.

Most of my smoking is done in a kamado and I generally don't find the need to wrap ribs. Baby backs are my favorites, but this was a full rack of spare ribs and were taking forever. I gave them a quick wrap at stall to move them along, but wouldn't have bothered if dinner time wasn't approaching. My issue with wrapping is that people leave them in the foil for too long. It turns them to mush and ruins the bark. I've eaten a bunch of sup-par ribs that were described as fall off the bone, technically correct, but still awful.

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Great Weber setup!

Redrock likes this.
  9. Tiredricefarmer

I don’t wrap at all, too easy for me to overcook them. That being said, putting them in the aluminum pan and covering is basically the same and they were ridiculously juicy, not over smoked, and cleaner/easier to handle. Texture was perfect. A lot of competition cookers are using the aluminum pans now instead of wrapping. To each his own. It’s your cook, do it your way! I personally will be using the pan method for my next cook to see if it’s something I want to continue to do. I’m thinking it will be.

10. Redrock

This why I do the one hour wrap. The final hour off allows the bark to be good. I do not care for the over-tender fall-off-the-bone ribs. On one smoking show, the gentleman said that he likes a little "tug" with his ribs - me too. Kinda hard to describe. Tender but with substance to them. Hope this describes the finished dook.

Tiredricefarmer and PanChango like this.
  11. Tiredricefarmer

Some how I missed this, thank you, I agree 100%. There’s nothing left to say, lol.

12. Tiredricefarmer

1 hour wrap is fine, I’ll allow this, :happy088:

Here’s what I’ve noticed. Ribs that are wrapped can easily be overcooked, however (and I know this from experience) you can unwrap them and throw them back in the smoker for another 20-30 mins and they will tighten back up and be great to the point of you’d never know they were wrapped, done it a few times. Personally, I won’t ever feel comfortable doing that and would rather not go there. I prefer to stick with what works for me but I promise this, I will be trying the pan method again, that much I do know. They were just too good! Again, to each his own, it’s your cook, do it your way! Just PLEASE don’t ever boil them, I don’t care what anyone says, that’s just nasty, lol.

Redrock and Edison Carter like this.
  13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I am the egg man, coo coo cachoo (for 25 years and counting), and need some input from other eggheads. When pork started getting rationed, my wife got some big pork loins instead of tenderloins that I usually cook. While the package recommends cutting it into rib roast, chops, and sirloin cuts, I’m curious what others do with this ginormous cut. I’m open to any and all suggestions... F330A5CF-0D0B-47C3-987D-018874FCCA4F.jpeg 533CC98E-D02C-4B75-93B6-A8C89DBF0829.jpeg

14. Tiredricefarmer

Pork loins are one of my favorites because they are so versatile, easy, and quick! They are great to cut into 1” boneless chops. I like to take a whole one and cut it into thirds. Wash, trim, and season heavily. Throw it into the smoker at 275-300 degrees and let her rip for about an hour and a half or until it hits an internal temp of 145 degrees. Wrap tight and rest! Slice thin for sandwiches or to eat by itself. I promise it will be juicy!

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I normally cut it into a few small roasts and roast it in the kamado with a little bit of smoke. I pull a little earlier since the have lowered the safe temp. I have been pulling at 130-135 and holding it for a short rest. Enjoy

16. Tiredricefarmer

I’ll have to give the 135 a try. Have always been cautious of going lower than 145.

Redrock, PanChango and Edison Carter like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Just remember that after you pull it, it will still continue to rise a few degrees during the rest. So if you pull it at 135F and it carries over to 140-145F while you get your sides and everything else finished, you are left with a super juicy pork roast. You can always put it back on to cook it some more. Being so lean, once over cooked it gets dry in a hurry.

18. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi folks.
    I have always wanted a nice set of grilling utensils. I finally scored some. They are what I consider the cats meow of grilling gear.

[​IMG]

These bad boys are a dream come true for me. I can’t believe I lucked into them. I just wanted to share this.

God Bless everybody. Have a great day.

Alan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Father's Day was a little late.

20200624_185518.jpeg

Back row:
    An old Oklahoma Joe on the left, a 14" WSM hiding, a 22" WSM, a 22" one touch Kettle on the right.

It is possible that the 24" Summit Charcoal will replace everything.

Propane is for the 'weedburner' fire starter.

Was looking at Big Green Egg, and Kamado Joe. Weber won.

20. Redrock

Good evening all. Hope this finds everyone doing well. I have a question. I have not done baby backs without foiling them for at least an hour. I have a couple of nice racks of the baby backs I want to do for the 4th. I want to try not foiling them. So...I can peg the WSM at 235 or so for hours. Is all I do is put on some rub and put them in the smoker? When should I start basting them? Is 235 okay? 250? Pointers are appreciated. Thanks.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.