June 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2020.

?

Your plan for June?

1. I'm gonna rock a RULE!

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Basic razors are my plan. Keep it simple, keep it real.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Basic aftershaves and shave cream soap. Keep it simple, keep it real.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Basic everything! Keep it simple, keep it real.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. I'm just waiting for more cookies. Keep it simple, keep it sweet!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. I'm just waiting for more ice cream. Keep it simple, keep it cold!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. I'm going to shave. With some gear. Just keeping on like I always do.

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Joe!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Gorgeous photo Jim. If you used the Timeless 0.95mm twice in 8 hours, I can understand the skin protesting.

jtspartan, Trigger, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic lineup Amigo. Love the brush.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Clint!

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

June 6, 2020
    Gem Damaskeene
    Gem PTFE
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Mike’s Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
    Fine L’Orange Noir

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inspired by @jgreenepa Jeff, I had pulled out my near mint Gem Damaskeene set to use for several days. This set has the original unused Damaskeene blades. I was all set to use the razor and had even posted the SOTD on other threads. However, after showering I was not feeling it so pulled out the Supply Co and loaded a fresh Proline blade. This combo is one of my favorite razor/blade combos period. The CH2 synthetic did a wonderful job whipping up a rich slick lather. Three passes and touch ups ended in a perfect BBS shave. Easily the my best shave this week. A splash of Fine L'Orange Noir and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Saturday

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    June Focus
    [​IMG]
    Eufros~~Simpson~~dubl duck [​IMG] ~~Florida Water
    Hot, hot, hot day here in the heartland.

@clint64 asked about the scent of this soap.
    From the BG website:
    bergamot, pepper, lime, lavender, cedar, sandalwood, sage, vetiver and benzoin.

This is a citrus-forward soap, that isn't "citrusy", if that makes any sense.
    Bergamot hits you immediately, but the vetiver and cedar really balance it out.
    I am NOT a citrus soap fan, but this soap is a home run.
    Lathering...well, you be the judge.
    :eatdrink013:

[​IMG]
    That's what I thought. ;)
    The dubl duck hasn't been at bat for a while, but apparently it's been practicing,
    because it hadn't lost any of its swing.
    Easy, two-passer with some ATG cleanup left Primo's kisser smooth and soft.
    The mentholated Florida Water is the most powerful menthol product in my den.
    Mos def© not for sissies.

7. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pics Clint.does the synthetic badger differ from the synthetic bristle?,just curious..

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wonderful pictures, Clint! I know nothing about shaving with a Damaskeene. Why the change? Educate me please.

9. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Joseph,good morning..

10. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

5DF5A62A-1401-4EE5-918E-15F80309A030.jpeg
    SOTD SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2020

Today I decided to shave with the final, and only, model of Valet Auto Strop (VAS) razor with a safety bar instead of an open comb, the Model VC4. All models of Auto Strop razor are great shavers. The only difference with this, the final model (1941-1946) that I can discern is a bit of a narrower sweet spot when contrasted with its predecessors. The shave yesterday with my Model VB2, made from 1927 into the 1930s by Gillette, marked the beginning of the blade holder indents that precluded the use of any blade but an Auto Strop according to Waits’s Compendium. Models prior to the VB2 work just fine with a modified Gem blade. All VAS razors work with the modern Feather FHS-10 or FAS-10 blade.

It appears that I’m developing an addiction to Nancy Boy Signature Shave cream. The post shave feel continues to build over the course of consecutive shaves, and, dare I say, is easily equivalent to, if not superior to MWF. Your humble narrator was a confirmed MWF super fan, until his encounter with Nancy Boy Signature. This quiet little company out of San Francisco does no traditional marketing, but rather has relied on word-of-mouth to build their business since 2002. This strategy has garnered them numerous awards over the years. Sharpologist acknowledged them in 2020 as “having limited availability, but stellar performance with or without a brush”. I’ve never used it without a brush, but I can see how, given its consistency- thick and rich creamy paste - it would perform well.

After showering and then rinsing with cold water, I pulled out a product I’d purchased several months ago and never used, Chel Cooling Gel, which is apparently equally effective pre or post shave. After applying it to both mug and noggin, I spent some time reorganizing my den before applying the Nancy Boy lather directly Over it with the Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378. The synthetic menthol definitely behaved differently than the real deal. The aloe and other skin-friendly ingredients in the Chel felt great on both shave surfaces and continued to slowly and gradually build throughout the two and 1/2 passes (WTG, ATG, ATG) of the shave. Quite frankly, “me likee”! The one caution provided was to ensure one washed their hands after applying, as it is apparently very eye unfriendly. The VAS VC4, while it does have a narrower sweet spot is an exemplary shaver and gently eased yours truly into velveteen BBS land (VBBS). The Chel cool lasted at least an hour and a half into the morning post shave. I feel clean, extremely cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: Valet Auto Strop (Model VC4)
    BLADE: Feather FHS-10
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Chel Cooling Gel as Preshave
    BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
    CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Cooling After-Shave Gel.

11. brit

brit in a box

20200605_150357_edited.jpg
    saturday brit shave
    1940s brit flat bottom new
    7 oclock black
    simpson commodore
    tobs eton college

good morning gents,brit shave today,another flat bottom new ,this time the brit market version with its unique handle.locked and loaded with a 7 oclock black,fine tobs/simpson built lather, bbs in 2+ smooth passes.eton college to finish.awesome.i have been enjoying the citrus scents the last few days and will do a couple more..have a fine day everyone..

12. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jeff,good afternoon..

13. brit

brit in a box

awesome Jim,good morning..

14. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

15. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave Paul,good morning..

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Terrific shave and report, Jeff!
    Awesome, Gary!

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you!
    Good morning..

18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jim..

19. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Nice shave, Clint! I've had to do the ole switch-a-roo at times after planning a shave.

Trigger, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  20. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Great shave, Joseph! The Florida Water is most perfect for the hot, humid days. I haven't added menthol to my bottle, but I have splashed on some Osage Rub immediately proceded with a splash of FW for a refreshing result. FW is great stuff that I can still find at Wal-Mart for about 3 bucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.