HELP! They've Changed My Water

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Dirtfarmer, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

For the last month or so none of my soaps have any slickness after a pass with the razor. NONE. I've tried 4 different soaps and they are all the same. In the past, the slickness seemed to build with each pass but not now. I've added more soap, added water, worked the lather longer and it's still not slick. The only thing I can figure is the county changed the water at the treatment plant. I don't know what to try other than using a pitcher of filtered water and see if that's it. What do you think and what else should I try???

Edison Carter and PatrickA51 like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Get a water test kit and see what your hardness is.

If you have any distilled water in the house (we use it for ironing and the clothes steamer) you can try that.

If you know someone who has a water softener you might borrow a gallon from them.

Contact your water provider and see if there’s been any changes.

3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Said the main things I was going to say. I'd also try regular bottled water to see if there is much difference there. But while you are changing water variables, you should stick to the same brush and soap the entire time, that way you can truly determine if there is a difference.

4. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

All good ideas and I'll put them to the test. Now that I've been thinking on it, something has had to of changed in the county water. I've had dry, itchy "winter" skin the last couple of months. It's well past time for that though. I'll ask at the water office tomorrow to find out whats going on. I could see maybe a change on into summer with the irrigation wells running and the water levels changing but they haven't started pumping fields yet. Oh well, I'll get it sorted or I'll start using the Cremo again. That stuff is as slick as eel shi-. Well, it's slick.

Ron R, Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  6. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Ha! That dude’s water isn’t very hard, and he’s from the U.K. so maybe he’s biased. From my own experience with very hard water, Mitchell’s is difficult but not impossible to lather. Helps to use a boar brush and to have patience, or use distilled water instead.

Steve56, Edison Carter and Dirtfarmer like this.
  7. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I've very hard water.
    Actually, 330mg/L. (33°fH)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

No problems.
    Just the standard method:
    1. Soak few minutes the brush in warm water
    2. Start with almost no water in the brush
    3. Load the soap to have the center of the brush full
    4. Lather few minutes, adding a little water time by time

Circular motion to build the lather.
    Lateral motion to apply uniformly the lather.
    That's all.

With difficult soaps, I find more effective the synths.
    Specially from Gen4, as Cashmere or G4.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.