No Safety Bar? who's brave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My scheduled shave for Monday will feature a no guard modification I made on a NEW. Here is the setup for Monday's shave. I could have made better picture. The no comb side is on the backside. I am finally getting to the end of my Iced Lime TSD Shaving Soap.

sod200622.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG

Edison Carter, brit and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Go big Jim!
    :bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

It will be a great shave!

3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It is done. Here it is, my friends. It was an awesome shave with no issues. Menthol Monday with TSD Iced Lime and Osage Rub made it even more special.

Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ok, as promised over on YT, I've modified a head to remove the safety bar from one side. It's a Maggard's HD clone head. I'll post more when I sack up enough to actually use it. Mr. R-uh made it look easy enough though.

Attached Files:

Edison Carter, Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  5. battle.munky

Man. I haven't been this intimidated since my first straight shave.
    IMG_Jun222020at21528PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at21555PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at21615PM.jpg

6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Edison Carter, battle.munky and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

all gillette adjustables are now redundant..;)

8. battle.munky

I'm sporting a beard like Wolverine at the moment, and SWMBO isn't giving me any heartburn for having it, so I'm fighting the urge to go set this loose on it. I think I'll still give it a go on my mustache and neck though in preparation for the day when I remove the glory that is my face sweater.

Edison Carter, brit and Jayaruh like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

has anyone chopped up a new sc? .it would have the best lower blade support without its teeth..

Edison Carter and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Those NEW SCs are hard to come by. I have one that I had plated and love it. I would not think of chopping it. I think an Old Type would be a great candidate for this.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

fair enough.very cool..:)..old types are definitely abundant..post war techs also..

12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a frightening Russian razor I might chop tomorrow on my day off. I have about a weeks growth to cut off.

battle.munky, brit and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am busting my brain, but I cannot figure out what YT is. Help this old man, please.

Edison Carter, battle.munky and brit like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I took my old Russian razor and made a SHaDE razor out of it before all this stuff came up. It is a great SHaDE razor, too.
    [​IMG]

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    OK, YT is Youtube. Right.

Edison Carter, brit and battle.munky like this.
  16. battle.munky

I'm going for it. I'll report back here in a bit with a SOTD pic and details...if'n I still have a head attached to my shoulders!

Edison Carter, brit and Jayaruh like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i have a plating delete new short comb i may try it with..will post..

Edison Carter likes this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

No safety bar? No problem! I got some of my best shaves with Tom’s DE-Vette.
    20BAED35-AE79-4456-BEAD-15C015053407.jpeg

19. brit

brit in a box

cut the safety bar of of a post war tech..easy peasy..

battle.munky likes this.
  20. battle.munky

Ok, vital statistics:
    • Voskhod loaded in my newly modified Maggards HD clone head which I chopped one safety bar off of
    • Maggards SS handle
    • Tabac SS (man...this stuff is maybe the best)
    • Green handled synthetic 22mm IIRC
    • Osage Rub :smiley freezing:
    As you'll see in the pics, I had a very small weeper on my cheek and one on my neck, both of which are already done. I did NOT chop my mole off nor my head!

Started off with a beard which I mowed down with the clippers (I cut my hair while I was at it). I then showered and toweled off, did a cold water rinse of my face and lathered up my brush with Tabac. Built up a ridiculously nice lather on my face as I prefer to do. Then I found the angle of attack I needed to get purchase on the razor and went at it. No problems with the first pass which was with the grain. Second pass I rinsed, relathered, and attached from against the grain everywhere except my moustache and as I found out, my chin, which I was too chicken to go ATG with because it just wasn't flowing right so I hit it from across the grain moving toward the centerline of my face. Cold water rinse, pat dry and Osage Rub. EZ peasy, lemon squeezy!

Pretty cool idea for a thread to the OP and thanks for the vid @Jayaruh, I wouldn't have done this if I hadn't seen you do it.

Note to anyone doing this, if this hasn't been said before, make sure you only remove one side so you have something to set it on ;)

Pics:
    IMG_Jun222020at80720PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at80753PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at80826PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at80850PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at80911PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at80958PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at81023PM.jpg IMG_Jun222020at81050PM.jpg