The Wabbit 3d printed injector razor pass around.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 10, 2020.

?

If the designs were made public on thingverse would you have this razor printed for personal use?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    93.1%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

He should already have it.
    But just in case....
    Thanks

tp

GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Note on the razor. I modified the guard on this as seen below. I roughed up the guard and textured it using an exacto knife so it has some grip to it like the later model Schick injector razors. This has the effect of stretching the skin ahead of the blade and allows for a closer cut.
    guard.jpg

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I want to give a quick update. I have made a few changes to the Wabbit. The changes only involve making it a bit better suited for printing. I increased the wall sections on 2 areas shortened the cap prongs and rounded them for ease of assembly. Also a support bar in the bar area for stability. I also modified the cap, so hopefully it will accept twin blades.
    Lastly I added 2 small finger grooves to help remove cap when assembled.

I am not sure when I can get them printed. But when I do. We will switch out razors. @BBS will notify you when this occurs. The razors will shave exactly the same.
    Tom

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One other issue which I never did bring up is that the magnet grips so good you almost need to pry the cap loose and over time doing this as already is starting on this razor you'll start digging into the plastic itself with the nails on the side of the cap and guard. It won't affect the shave or even how the cap sits on the guard but it will affect the aesthetics. Even without the magnet if you use your fingernails to seperate the 2 it would happen anyways. Same deal with removing the blade from the cap.

Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

With the change. I added 2 finger grooves on either end of the base. So when you do remove the cap your fingernails will be pulling against the blade. [​IMG]

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

A couple of pictures of the mods. Red lines are added material.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    woohoo.jpg

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I’d be interested in organizing a Canadian pass around if there was enough interest on this side of the border :D

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Get a few people and I will send you one!

GAW9576 and Hodge like this.
  10. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

And here is how it all works together (with magnets and blade):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  11. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Just because there aren't enough open comb razors with injector blades and OC version would be sweet. And an OC version of the TNNSER 3D would be cool too.

12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: what he said.

Edison Carter, steve207 and GAW9576 like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Where are we on the passaround? Latest person to have the razor should be @Flintstone65

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  14. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

Yes its on its way to Flintstone65. Be there any day now

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

16. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

I'll give everyone a heads-up when it arrives, and will regale you all with my shaves with it as well. The tracking number indicates July 6 -- the independence day holiday has undoubtedly slowed it down.

GAW9576, steve207, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  17. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

Heads Up -- the Wabbit is in!!! Came in yesterday (Monday) in the afternoon mail, which meant it/I missed the opportunity for a test shave -- I had shaved a couple of hours earlier. So let's jump into this....by the way, if you look up the word "verbose" in the dictionary, you'll undoubtedly see a picture of me. I like words and I like to type, so I type a lot of words :)! You've been warned.

I find that knowing something about the tester/reviewer/shaver is always helpful to understand their perspective. So here's the Reader's Digest of me: I like SE razors (although I have a fair number of other blade types), and my favorite SE blade type (if forced to choose) would be the injector-style....it just inches out the GEM-style blade types for the top spot. I have every letter of the Appleby-letter-type Schicks/Eversharps except for D & O. I'd be hard pressed to identify a favorite of the various Schicks I have, since I haven't met one that I didn't like. I also have a handful of Pal Injectomatics. What else? I'm also a Pisces that enjoys long walks and....sorry, forgot about who my audience is. Last injector shaving detail: I've never tried Personna (Ted Pella) blades, only Schick (aka Chinese Schick yellow package....aka "Chicks") blades and Japanese Proline B-20 blades. And I tend to shave every other day, although I will make an exception.

Since my time is limited with the Wabbit, and I've never tried a Personna blade, I loaded one up from the thoughtfully supplied cartridge and despite not really needing a shave, I decided to do one anyway. I chose MWF because a friend recently tried some and was having some issues with it, so I wanted to make sure the advice I gave him was solid ("load it like you hate it"). The brush was a Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf -- it happened to still be on the sink from yesterday.

Loading the razor is drop dead simple, but the magnet requires someone with fingernails like Elvira to get in there and pry it open....and that's without a blade in there. I'm glad to hear that some modifications have been made going forward to aid in pulling off the top cap. Once loaded, what you see is a fair amount of blade, a reasonable blade gap, and a "humpy" top cap that sort of reminds me of the Walbusch slant razor (or PAA's Alpha Ecliptic) without the slant, of course.

First pass, and the angle was easy to find and keep; in fact, I'm not sure it's even possible to force the razor to go very steep or shallow because of the top cap.....the razor tends to "tell you" the cutting angle. Speaking of the razor telling you things, I found the Wabbit to be one of the louder injector-bladed razors that I've used. I really like loud and proud SE razors, so this is a big plus to me. Now let's talk shaving....I found the Wabbit had a lot of blade feel, or at least I felt a lot of the cutting action, and I'm not sure if that was the razor or the blade. And here's where I realized I had made huge a mistake by starting off with both a new-to-me razor and a new-to-me blade. Testing something and changing multiple things (i.e., more than one thing) is always a bad idea. All three passes I did felt harsh, like shaving with a brand new GEM SS PTFE blade....and I recall reading that the Personna injector blades have sort of a high-beta likability (people love 'em or hate 'em, not a lot in between)....it's only been one shave, but I may be in the "not a fan" category. My face was feeling very sensitive after the 3 passes and I still had some stubble patches, so I took out a Schick type G and did one more pass.....the comparison was night and day...the Schick was much more comfortable, even on a face that felt over-shaved.

So upon clean-up, I took the razor apart, removed and cleaned the Personna blade (I'll try it in another razor one of these days) and put in one of my Chick blades. That shave will be done on Thursday (need to skip a day). Some say (over and over again) "a razor's a razor, a blade's a blade" (and for the record, I tend to largely agree with that), I have found that some blades can feel a bit harsher to me, and thus I have developed a preference for certain blades. I'm looking forward to trying the Wabbit with a "Chick" and depending on that shave, I may also try a Proline.

You can't draw any conclusions from a single shave (at least I can't and won't), but despite not being the best feeling shave I've had in a long time (which is likely blade and/or shaving too soon after the last shave), I am still very intrigued and excited by this razor. I could even see having different top caps, which I assume would give you the opportunity to adjust the feel of the blade. Along those lines, I took several pics. A few caveats, I'm a lousy photographer -- I mean REALLY lousy photographer -- and a black Wabbit doesn't not make it easy on the camera and my less than perfect "photo studio lighting". But I tried to take one without the top cap, one with the blade loaded, and then one where the head is sort of side-by-side with a Schick E3. I'm not really the guy to put geometry into play and make any insightful comments on blade exposure/gap/tilt....but if someone else wants to do that based on my 3rd grade photography skills, that's okay. I'll be back on Thursday with another shave....and my plan is to spend exactly one week with this razor....it arrived Monday, and it will depart next Monday....if that's okay with the powers that be.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edison Carter, Karl G, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  18. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Very good write up @Flintstone65. Hope the Chick blade yields a better shave for you on Thursday.

Jim99, Flintstone65 and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Nice read, Fred.

20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nice report!

GAW9576, Jim99 and Flintstone65 like this.