Cleaning a safety razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

How should you clean a safety razor? Would water, a toothbrush, a pipe cleaning brush, liquid dish detergent, liquid disinfecting dish detergent, liquid hand soap, liquid disinfecting hand soap be enough? When do I need to use toothpaste and Scrubbing Bubbles? I was also told by Leisureguy to mix a solution of 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water and place the razor in the solution.

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Depends what’s on it. If it’s just a little normal stuff- some whiskers & fresh soap residue, some liquid soap & a toothbrush could be fine. You could follow with a little alcohol, to disinfect.

If it is heavily coated with thick, old soap film, Scrubbing Bubbles & a toothbrush are the way to go.

3. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

How often should I do regular cleaning on it?

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Once it's reasonably clean, you need to see what your usage dictates. For instance, do yo use this razor daily? If so, I'd give it a soap & water scrub every week or so. You can always give it a little spritz of alcohol after each shave. I don't know that you need to, but it can't hurt.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Disassemble and spray all parts with Scrubbing Bubbles, let sit, then rinse. Follow that with a light scrub from an old toothbrush, use a little toothpaste if you like. Rinse well. Do that once every week when you change the blade. Nothing needed on a daily basis, other than a quick rinse and shake dry.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  6. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I think once a week I'll soak the razor in a vinegar and water solution and then I'll scrub it with a toothbrush and liquid dish washing soap. Would this be a good routine?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a couple of nesting coffee cups that I have 90% alcohol in the bottom cup. The nesting cups helps slow the evaporation of the alcohol.

I rinse my razor in hot water after every shave and then put the razor into the alcohol in the the bottom cup, head first.

I do my clean up routine, then shake the alcohol off, and hang the razor in the holder to dry.

I change my blade after every third shave, and throughly wipe off any accumulated soap scum, in, on, and around the head. I have followed this routine for around ten years and this routine has served me well.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'd stay away from abrasive cleaners as much as possible. That includes stuff like brasso, and toothpaste.

Liquid dish soap, a toothbrush, a toothpick, and scrubbing bubbles will be your best friends.

I usually use scrubbing bubbles when the razor's finish is looking "not shiny." I set it in the bottom of the sink and blast it. Turn it over and blast the other side. Wait for the bubbles to subside. Lightly go over it with a tooth rush and rinse.

Ijustmissedthe50s, BamaT and brit like this.
  9. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

How often do you use Scrubbing Bubbles?

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If I'm using just one razor? About every two weeks. If I go through a phase where I'm switching out often, about every three months.

I just open them all up and pile them in the sink and hose them down. When the white cloud dissolves, (edit: I do rub the razor all over with my fingers, just to make sure the scrubbing bubbles has gotten on every surface) I rinse them individually and then dry them.
    ...and then wash my hands.

If you clean them fairly regularly, you'll never need to actually scrub them, aside from the initial cleaning.

Edit: I also use scrubbing bubbles on the toilet, counter, and shower, so if you want to know how often I bust out the can of SB, it's about once or twice a week. :)

If a razor slips through the cracks and gets really bad, I will break out the toothbrush, but generally he only thing I really use the toothbrush for is cleaning the teeth on an open comb razor.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Edison Carter likes this.
  11. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

In Romania we don't have Scrubbing Bubbles unfortunately. Have to find out a similar product.

12. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I use the razor daily.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The U.K. has a similar problem. Look for an aerosol foaming shower cleaner like CIF.

brit likes this.
  14. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    brit likes this.
  16. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I've also been told to never use vinegar on a safety razor. What do you guys think?

Ron R likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Vinegar is a mild Acid and if it get behind chrome or any other coating it is going to corrode faster the base metal. Zamac razors for sure keep it away or Aluminum razors because it is a softer base metal that will rot the metal. I remember ice fishing and hooked a old reel and rod under the ice and took it home and got some vinegar and let the reel sit over night to clean and next day the gearing was disintegrating from the acid.:angry017:

Ijustmissedthe50s, BamaT and brit like this.
  18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I cleaned razors after getting/buying them and rinse with hot water after shaving. Haven't done any other cleaning on a razor since.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I run 'em through the dishwasher along with the nickel-plated forks and spoons. That's only when I just found one in the wild in which case it's always got to be cleaned, otherwise I don't bother beyond shaking water and whiskers out when done...if I was worried about infecting myself with something that I alone use, then I might be more concerned with shoes and my shoes don't scare me (in short...don't overthink this, either in motive or process).

Anyway, the dishwasher ain't damaged one yet.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    brit likes this.
  20. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Maybe I should use the 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water solution once a month only.

brit likes this.