Unique Old Spice, and Avon Bottles/Decanters, And Finds

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Sep 29, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Avon Spicy
    George Washington

Wonderful scent.

P6191386.JPG

Douglas Carey, Leo501, Enrico and 7 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

The more I use Avon Spicy, the more I am preferring it to Shulton Old Spice. Spicier scent.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found Avon Bravo, the big gold pocketwatch bottle, full. I didn't like it the last time I found it, years ago. Way too weirdly sweet and flowery/fruity. But now my guess is it was a bad attempt to copy British Sterling: in the background, after some drydown and the synth-fruit burns off, there are some definite spice similarities. So as is, Bravo is kind of a bad cross between Brit.Ster. and Tabac that just doesn't work as either.

Figuring there's nothing to lose, I added half a small vial of cheap woody/leathery cologne from Dollar Tree. Result is a passable cross btw Brit.Ster. and English Leather. Ended up sedately woody, spicy, leathery, but with that screwball fruitiness blending it all into a decent pipe tobacco-ish fragrance. Not perfect, rather basic, but it's wearable now.

Yes, I know some guys like Bravo as is. My hat is off to them.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Droo78, Enrico, cliffb599 and 3 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Pics??

Enrico likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

6. brit

brit in a box

7. DaltonGang

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just won a full bottle of "Captain's Choice," supposedly from 1964. This is one I don't think I ever heard of, anyone know it?

cliffb599 likes this.
  9. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Today's haul at a local vintage/antique shop- The Avon on the left is "Tribute" cologne. It smells awful- don't know if that's the age of it, something else poured in the bottle, or if it's close to the original. I do love the bottle!
    Haul 20 7 3.jpg

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tribute is (was) kind of a lavendar-ish barbershop scent, if I recall correctly. It's one of the love or hate it frags. I was never crazy about it, and being floral-ish, yours may well have gone bad. Bottle is cool, though.

Angelo85 and Leo501 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Duplicate post from the Haul...

20200707_113555_resize_34.jpg

Full bottle of a slightly unique, clean barbershop scent that nods in the general direction of O.S. but is not Spicy.

Opening skankblast of an offputting Oland/musk combo (some components probably gone bad in 56 years of storage who knows where). But that soon dries away to something like the later Windjammer with just a hint of Tai Winds spicinness. Staying power is nil but no suprise there. I bet this was primo juice when fresh. Emerald green flask is verra nass too.

Just noticed that the box (also verra nass) says COOLING, REFRESHING LOTION...THE PERFECT FINISH TO EVERY SHAVE. I assume that means it had menthol at one time but it don't now. Haven't decided if I'll spike it. :signs002:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Paul Turner, Enrico, Angelo85 and 4 others like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

20200825_214917_copy_600x800.jpg
    Not unique, but got to use my Avon Island Lime for my Tuesday shave.

DaltonGang, brit, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great find. Good shape too.

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Niceeeee!

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good find.

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. myles wilson

this is what I assume a rare Christmas 1980 old spice aftershave. 8 1/2 oz bottle still full no evaporation and smells great IMG_20200902_140131.jpg

18. myles wilson

I also got a full (not so rare) decanter. smell great as well. my favorite decanter old spice made. IMG_20200902_140341.jpg

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great finds.....

Don’t forget to try some Avon Spicy ..... excellent stuff when you find it.

20. DaltonGang

Thanks guys.

Douglas Carey and myles wilson like this.