Not enough lather for the third pass

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I have a Maggard 24mm synthetic shaving brush. I wet it about 2, 3 seconds under the faucet, then I squeeze the hairs to eliminate the excess water. I also give the brush a couple of shakes to also eliminate the excess water. After this I face lather a shaving cream, but I don't have enough lather for 3 passes. I'm using this cream: https://depotmaletools.com/en/prodotto-404-soothing_shaving_soap_cream.html. What am I doing wrong?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There are a few options here. You can get a bigger brush. Load your current brush heavier (more product and more water), add a little cream and build the lather for the third pass, try a stick of Arko as that stuff produces oodles of lather, or just go with 2 passes and call it a day. I rarely do 3 passes, but even with a 20mm brush I have enough left over after 2 passes to do some touchup or another pass if needed.

3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Someday, someone will invent a brush capable of being lathered more than once a day. Until that happens, I'm afraid there's just no solution to your problem.
    :shaver :kar:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    richgem and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Step 1. Squeeze a small amount of shaving cream onto your fingertips. Step 2. Rub on face. Step 3. Face lather with brush.

Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each pass, wetting the tips of the brush as needed.

If you still have difficulty getting enough lather for your third pass after trying this method... grow a beard.
    I see what you did there.
    :cool:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    stuartganis, BigMike and richgem like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Making more lather is part of the fun. Or, you could just skip the third pass.