Problem with Gillette Black Beauty

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BamaT, Jul 5, 2020.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I have a Gillette Black Beauty that I have really enjoyed using, mostly set on 4, sometimes 5. Recently after several shaves with it, I had difficulty opening the doors to remove the blade. Now they are firmly locked open, and won’t budge with reasonable manual force. I sprayed a little Ballistol, a non toxic CLP down the barrel and let that soak for a few days, with no change. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and how do I proceed with correcting this issue?

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

No idea. But if you send it to me. I will send you a replacement. That way I have a malfunctioning BB that I can mess with. Is it a long or short handle? I have both so you can choose.
    Tom

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice...........

brit likes this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

It’s a long handle. I really don’t use all the length, but I like it for some reason. Maybe just because it’s different from my other razors.

twhite likes this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Shoot me your addy I will get it out next week if you like.

Droo78 likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Probably limescale buildup. I don't know if Ballistol works on limescale. Maybe you got CLP and CLR mixed up in your head?

brit and twhite like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd try some Pb blaster on it. Razor will smell awful for weeks but that stuff breaks up most anything on threads. Unless it is a mechnical issue of some sort that should unseize it.

brit and twhite like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No, Ballistol is a CLP, cleaner lubricant protectant that also penetrates, used primarily in cleaning guns but is a great non toxic CLP with many uses.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's our Tom. Good show. :signs021:

brit and Droo78 like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I understand that. I was just saying that you should be trying CLR (calcium, lime, rust) remover, rather than CLP, or CLP alternatives.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BamaT likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Typical Tom generosity. :eatdrink047:

Droo78 and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've noticed Hickok45 has a can conspicuously sitting at the back of his loading table, but I can't find the stuff in my local gun shops (or anything else, for that matter).

BamaT and Droo78 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Both Black Beauty handles are coated aluminum so before using CLR, or any kind of solvent, make certain that it won't destroy aluminum. Purple Power degreaser sure will. Guess how I found that out.

14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Class act, in true denizen spirit.

jmudrick likes this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Ballistol can be hard to find in local stores, but it is a very good product. I usually wind up ordering from Midway or Amazon.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’m probably going to take you up on that, a very generous offer! I’m going to think on this another night or two and see if I can come up with brainstorms on how to fix it.

twhite likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Just let me know. Take your time.

BamaT likes this.
  18. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

Listen to planofman, he knows of what he speaks.

BamaT and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

FYI, I've fixed Gillette Black Beauty, Fat Boys, Slims, etc..., With the same issues. I've tried many differnt ways. The best way I have found is to put the razor in a heat proof pan/measuing cup. In a separate pot, boil some water, then pour over the razor, covering it. Next, pour a good amount of Palmolive dish soap. This seems to work better than others, for some reason. Dawn will also work tol, I just dont like it as much.
    Stir the water around until the soap is mixed in. Let it sit, until cool. Then try working the razor. If still sticking, remove the razor, reheat the soapy water, and resoak the razor, let it cool again. It should work fine, after the second soak. If not, try a third time. I have not had to do this more than three times, even with the worst one. This method has never damages any razor, even the Black Beauty.

BamaT, PLANofMAN and twhite like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I can identify the likely cause of the problem, and a likely solution. Do I know what CLR will do to a razor? No. I would try non-invasive stuff first before breaking out the big guns. Aluminum may be impervious to CLR, but the black coating on black beauties, while durable, is easily damaged by solvents and other assorted cleaning methods tried by wet shavers in the past.

No one's advice is perfect all the time. Including mine.

BamaT likes this.