Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Nice shave report @Ron R but that's the wrong picture. Also not a big deal since not many people pay attention to this thread but it's meant for razors produced by ASR. I have a TNNSER 3D and Although it is a fantastic razor and does take a Gem blade it wasn't produced by ASR.

Ron R likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday July 6th 2020- Daily double with a guest razor(Under the B&B MMM guide line rules) with a theme from the Oldest to Newest Gem blade razors. It is amazing how times and products have changed in our Gem A.S.R world. I have a Gem Junior bar from 1907 ish and the new TNNSER 2020 3D printed razor leaving approximately 113 years of technology change and this morning I used the same blade in both razors so maybe that is the only Gem product that is sort of stable from it's minor changes over the last Century. 3D printed razors can change our design of razors but still give similar results regardless because the blade is part of what also makes the shave followed by most important personal hand technique. 1st pass WTG and the TNNSER did a nice job of that, followed up with XTG &ATG with the Gem Jr bar with my kind of shave CCS,DFS,BBS in my sweetspot with no drama.

Razor: Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-11, great milder mid range razor with great audio feedback.
    Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D printed- MFG 2019> great upper mid range razor with great audio feedback also.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, excellent price & a predictable wear from blade that also gives back its smoothness through it's life cycle.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Excellent soap for scent & lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- very dense brush that whips up lather in a minute, great brush qualities.
    Pre-shave:Shower, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel for aftershave + Avon "True Gent" balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave in tandem with TNNSER 3D printed & Gem Junior bar with my favorite Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.

GEMonday July 6th 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that one out, I'm having a hard time finding the original in my picture bank. something weird happened IMO.

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. GAW9576

I had a great 1 1/2 pass clean up shave with the Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip. Aka Flying Wing with guiding eye today.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

jimjo1031, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Thur, July 9th 2020

Razor:
    Star bar Lather catcher model#4(Kampfee Brothers NY) American.Safety.Razor.corporation razor- Mfg 1919- Excellent shaves usually from this great little lather catcher. Milder mid range IMO, I'm very happy with this purchase.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) Great blade, very sharp, good longevity, excellent cost, smooths out nicely, predictable wear 95 % of the time with no drama.
    Soap: Italian barber Amici- great mild scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Razorock Noir 400 synthetic- great all around brush that has natural boar brush feel with out the scritch IMO.
    Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Kampfee brothers Star bar#4!

SE SOTD- Thursday July9th 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, July 13th 2020- This 1st Generation Featherweight has to be one of the best razors to shave with using a Gem SS PTFE blade IMO. Seldom get irritation or weepers and it always delivers in my sweet spot range of finish.
    With a New Gem blade you can get a silky smooth shave usually, might seem like hype but mostly the truth, don't judge a razor by it looks but by it's results.

Razor:
    Gem Featherweight(1oz) 1st generation-Mfg 1st gen 1950-52, 2nd gen 1952-54-- Nice milder mid range razor.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Great blade as in very sharp, longevity, cost per 100pc, very predictable wear IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic - It has become one of my favorites to use, good lather, painting, soft tips.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- Excellent scent + Excellent lather in all aspects. They are going to discontinue producing it.
    Pre Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem 1st gen Featherweight.

MMMonday, July 13th 2020 (2).jpg
    Some times when buying a used Gem the owners pamphlet are lost and also additional information I like to add occasionally!
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

7. GAW9576

That's a beautiful featherweight Ron.
    Love the charts too.

Ron R likes this.
  8. GAW9576

I had an excellent relaxing late shave tonight with the Gem Jr Bar and a new Gem SS PTFE.
    This was my third use of Michelle's wool fat and it is progressively getting better.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD- like to use my real McCoy Gem 1912 OC every once in a while because it is a great razor, it is milder mid range with good efficiency. This razor is what started Gem to produce millions of improved variant models of the 1912 over the decades and other American.Safety.Razor brand names used this razor head also for sales but stamped their brand on it.

Razor: Gem 1912 OC - Mfg 1912-17, excellent razor, 3 pass with pickups will deliver a close shave for myself.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, very sharp, excellent cost per 100pcs, very predictable smoothing out when using.(I like to use a milder Gem razor for the first few shaves to take advantage of the sharpness.)
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco- great citrus scent with good lather qualities.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm systhetic- Excellent brush for bowl lathering, soft tips, have used it for the last 3 1/2 yrs with enjoyment.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC.

SE SOTD, Thur, July 16th 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

jimjo1031 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice setup of gear, that Michelle's wool fat is legendary soap for getting a nice lather, but once you figure it out folks really enjoy it.

GAW9576 likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD Fri,July 17th 2020

Razor: Gem push button model- Mfg 1958-65, mild razor & performs well like all Gems, 3 pass will give a great shave!
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) excellent blade that I like to hype up because of performance.
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco- great citrus scent and great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow brown whiskers 26 mm synthetic- great lathering brush with dense knot and soft tips.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave : Pinaud clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS+ no weepers + no irritation= [​IMG] excellent shave with my vintage GEM push-button razor.

SE SOTD Fri, July 17 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Sat, July 18th 2020

Razor: Everready (A.S.R)1924 (AKA -shovel head) streamline strop handle- Mfg 1924-33, very nice mid range SE razor.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) great all around blade.
    Soap: Tabac- great lather qualities with it's legendary scent that I enjoy. Used by millions since 1959.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic with black marble handle- excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
    Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with Cerave hand bar cleanser + dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
    Post shave: Avon True gent with witch hazel + a dollop of Avon True gent balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] great shave with my ER 1924 shovel head.

SE SOTD, Sat, July 18th 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMaticMonday,July 20th 2020, commemorate 2yrs of ASR shaving as a group of A.S.R keener's.
    Always wondered what it would be like to have a Micromatic adjustable so I had to improvise my version today with
    - Mid range + by different variants of the Micromatics to see & feel how it would go. A little bit of extra work but it was worth the effort to receive a BBs shave. Gem Mfg was working on adjustable's in some proto types but nothing ever came of it.
    I think the modern version of a Gem adjustable would be more like the Blackland Sabre with different base plates and open comb base plate version for the traditional concept. Just a different shave to shake up a MMMonday for my self.
    Razor: MMFW, bullet tip,Guiding eye....Mfg 1947-50
    Razor: MMCP,(Peerless Variant)-Mfg 1945
    Razor: MMOC -1932-41
    Razor: -BMMOC(bumpless variant)-Mfg 1930-32
    Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) great blade in all respects.
    Soap: Proraso green
    Brush: Omega Boar brush- nice brush when broken in.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups. MMFW (WTG)+MMCP(XTG)+MMOC(ATG)+ -BMMOC(pick ups)
    Postshave: Proraso Green aftershave lotion with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Micromatics this MMMonday.

[​IMG]

............Gem aggression range..................................................Gem proto type.......................................

'''''''''''''''''''''' [​IMG] '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

14. brit

brit in a box

fine collection Ron..

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary, it was a lot of enjoyment collecting these A.S.R razors. Strange I prefer SE over DE for the last 2 years but still enjoy my DE razors, my skin is better for it IMO. As you already know DE dominates the traditional wet shaving but but SE is up there also. As you already know straight razor system was before safety razors in SE & DE and folks still enjoy straight edges over anything else. Talking about collections, Gary you have a very impressive display of British Gillettes.

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

thank you Ron.i enjoy my se shaves.especially the canadian schick e2.my newest se shaves are my brit valets..straights look cool,pure art to be honest .but my interest ends there.the brit gillette obsession was in honor of my grandad who was an R.A.F. vet from ww2.he was a gillette man since his early years.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem Pushbutton Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Czechoslovakian Triumph Boar (restored) Brush
    Williams Shave Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Rose
    Avon Wild Country After Shave

Untitled.jpg

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

One of the best looking Gem razors out there with the Gold and black color scheme, I always get a DFS+ out of the push button.

GAW9576 and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thanks Ron, it is a nice shaver.

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. GAW9576

Tonight I went with my BMMOC and a 3 rd use Gem SS PTFE and had a very relaxing late in the day shave. The Wickham Irish Fern lathered well with a 2 band badger and the Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal provided a fine finish.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg