The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I had an excellent shave today with the GEMem MMOC and a creation by @twhite called the TAR. The TAR is on loan for a week so I'm trying to get as many shave as I can with it. The MMOC performed quite well with a 3rd use PAL carbon blade. And a mix of Cyril R Salter wild rose and alittle Cella made a great lather with the SHD two band badger.

[​IMG]

brit and Ron R like this.
  2. GAW9576

I joined the Parade of Gem Junior Parades. I love the Baton handles and have 3 variations in my collection. This shave was excellent and darn near BBS. As always I love the Mer Shaving Fougere orange. This synthetic brush performs exceptionally well and is a joy to own and use.

Today's shave was with a fist use Gem SS PTFE blade. I ran the edge through a packing peanut before using to take out some of the potential harshness these blades tend to have. It seems to have payed off.

I recently received the RazoRock Hawk v2 from a friend and wanted to use it a little on this shave to test it out. Not a bad razor. I'll have to use it a bit more soon as I have been considering the Stainless V3 OC.

A splash of Thayers aloe cucumber was a great finish to a fantastic shave.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday + GEMonday, some of the fellows are using ASR circa razors during Memorial day shaving tribute to the Huge sacrifices on US citizens and world wide citizens. 1st and 2nd pass I used the my 1912-15 Damaskeene (used in WW1)open comb followed by 3rd pass with my Micromatic 1945 (Peerless model) Clog Pruf. The regular Micromatic Clog Pruf (mfg 1949-43) & Damaskeene closed comb(mfg 1915-19) were razors that were used also by US soldiers on the battle fields & oceans & air force soldiers during WW1 & WW2.
    In Canada we take time to think about the fallen & wounded on Remembrance Day.(11th hr-11th day-11th month .)

1918-Damaskene-military-outfit.jpg
    It is rare for me to make a daily double!
    Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb - Mfg 1912-15 getting very hard to find in the wild but they do come up.
    Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless model -Mfg 1945 mid range razor that is well liked.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) great blade, very sharp,good longevity and does smooth out after a couple shaves.
    Soap: Proraso red sandal wood.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic- great brush for lathering, splaying and scrubbing with some back bone.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave : Proraso red sandal wood aftershave lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = [​IMG]great shave with my Gem razors.

MMMonday May 25th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

brit and GAW9576 like this.
  4. GAW9576

I had a great shave with my oldest SE. This Kampfe Star Lather catcher is a great razor and I love the way this bullet casing handle feels and looks on this razor. The casing is from the honor guard at my Grandfathers funeral. The SR is a Challenge razor works Rifle razor. I figured it was a fitting combination.

[​IMG]

Manumik, brit and Ron R like this.
  5. GAW9576

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the synthetic brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

View attachment 227720

6. GAW9576

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the synthetic brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

brit likes this.
  7. GAW9576

Well I tried having a very UK shave Friday. I got out my Made in England ER 1912 and my British Made Pal Injectomatic. Then I whipped up a fantastic lather with some UK based Wickham 1912 Irish Fern. This is my first use of Wickham and man this stuff smells great and lathers wonderfully. I loaded a 6th use Gem SS PTFE and started the shave with the ER. This is my second time using this razor. I took a few strokes and looked closely at the razor. I had heard the English/British ERs are more aggressive but this one is mild but I LOVE the handle. Anyway I looked closer and saw that the blade wasn't seated right. Readjust take a stroke look close. Not seated tight. Ok what gives well the blade is shifting all over. Grab my US made ER 1912 try things out, works perfect. Hmmmm. As far as I can tell the blade stops are bent up slightly making to much room for the blade to slip to far under them and making enough room for it to not get properly engage by the back clip. So do I adjust the blade stops? Or do I find a way to adjust the back clip push the blade forward further with would make it a more aggressive razor?
    Anyways I finished up the rest of the shave with a pound in the US made ER. Results are a fantastic shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

8. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I love to compare.
    Razors too, as all other wetshaving tools.
    Mostly, I use my champion to prove the challenger.

Today my golden standards into safety razors are:
    • DE ... FrankenRazor PP1489 (Edwin Jagger DE89 / Maggard Razors MR14)
    • SE ... Colonial Razors "The General V1", Aluminium 6061

This is what I call Shave Battle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 likes this.
  9. GAW9576

Thanks for joining @ischiapp, looks like a few pictures didn't load properly but those are some beautiful razors in the ones that did.

10. GAW9576

I had a great shave today with my Gem Jr. Parade and a straight razor. The straight got most of the first pass and the Gem got the rest of the shave with a 7th flip Gem SS PTFE loaded. The Sterling Executive man lathered very well on my Custom SHD two band badger.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Manumik, brit, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  11. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with my newly modified Gillette New long comb/no comb loaded with a new Bluebird. The JA Henckels Rapide with an 8th use Gem SS PTFE also came out to play.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg IMG_20200622_231729101.jpg

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

@twhite DE-VETTE, Krect Spiral Curve. BIC (shim on Krect). AOS Sandalwood.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit, GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday July 6th 2020- Daily double with a guest razor with a theme from the Oldest to Newest Gem blade razors. It is amazing how times and products have changed in our Gem A.S.R world. I have a Gem Junior bar from 1907 ish and the new TNNSER 2020 3D printed razor leaving approximately 113 years of technology change and this morning I used the same blade in both razors so maybe that is the only Gem product that is sort of stable from it's minor changes over the last Century. 3D printed razors can change our design of razors but still give similar results regardless because the blade is part of what also makes the shave followed by most important personal hand technique. 1st pass WTG and the TNNSER did a nice job of that, followed up with XTG &ATG with the Gem Jr bar with my kind of shave CCS,DFS,BBS in my sweetspot with no drama.

Razor: Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-11, great milder mid range razor with great audio feedback.
    Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D printed- MFG 2019> great upper mid range razor with great audio feedback also.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, excellent price & a predictable wear from blade that also gives back its smoothness through it's life cycle.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Excellent soap for scent & lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- very dense brush that whips up lather in a minute, great brush qualities.
    Pre-shave:Shower, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel for aftershave + Avon "True Gent" balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave in tandem with TNNSER 3D printed & Gem Junior bar with my favorite Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.
    GEMonday July 6th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Manumik, brit, GAW9576 and 1 other person like this.
  14. GAW9576

Yesterday marked my last shave with the DEvette by @twhite on a pass around. I used the KAI blade again and
    gave the Mitchell's another chance. I followed the same process as the last shave. Concentrating on angle and using just enough contact to tickle the lather away cleanly. This results in a very enjoyable shave again.
    The KAI blade fit better then the Feather which was a bit tight on the posts. The feather shaved very well with good technique but didn't want to come out of the razor when the shave was done.
    The Mitchell's lathered much better this time and I think with time will be an excellent addition to my rotation.
    I had 5 shaves with the DEvette and 3 were very good, 2 were not bad but left a little more irritation than is acceptable. Those two were simply me getting used to a very different razor and possibly 1 was due to a mishandled blade.
    The DEvette is a beautiful razor with it's stealthy angles and stellar stand. It takes some extra care and attention to perform to its potential but it's potential is very high.
    The Pal was used for some touch up in trouble spots and for cleaning up the back of my neck.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Ron R and ischiapp like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMaticMonday,July 20th 2020, commemorate 2yrs of ASR shaving as a group of A.S.R keener's.
    Always wondered what it would be like to have a Micromatic adjustable so I had to improvise my version today with
    - Mid range + by different variants of the Micromatics to see & feel how it would go. A little bit of extra work but it was worth the effort to receive a BBs shave. Gem Mfg was working on adjustable's in some proto types but nothing ever came of it.
    I think the modern version of a Gem adjustable would be more like the Blackland Sabre with different base plates and open comb base plate version for the traditional concept. Just a different shave to shake up a MMMonday for my self.
    Razor: MMFW, bullet tip,Guiding eye....Mfg 1947-50
    Razor: MMCP,(Peerless Variant)-Mfg 1945
    Razor: MMOC -1932-41
    Razor: -BMMOC(bumpless variant)-Mfg 1930-32
    Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) great blade in all respects.
    Soap: Proraso green
    Brush: Omega Boar brush- nice brush when broken in.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups. MMFW (WTG)+MMCP(XTG)+MMOC(ATG)+ -BMMOC(pick ups)
    Postshave: Proraso Green aftershave lotion with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Micromatics this MMMonday.

[​IMG]

............Gem aggression range..................................................Gem proto type.......................................

'''''''''''''''''''''' [​IMG] '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  16. GAW9576

Great shave and pictures Ron. I have a regular MMCP bit I'd like to get a peerless eventually. Do you notice much difference between the standard and peerless MMCPs?

Ron R likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I only have the Peerless variant, I did some research prior to ordering on Ebay and folks said their was not a lot of differences between the two different MMCP safety bars but a few who owned both models preferred the Peerless model MMCP. I thought it would be a little smoother to the skin myself, it's a solid winner IMO.
    It took a lot of cleaning because the previous owner must of used oil pre-shave, but the cleaning was worth it in my opinion, great razor IMO.

GAW9576 likes this.
  18. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with a Gem 1912. This one seems to be a bit more efficient than my other 1912 razors. Further testing will be required to confirm this. However after pass one I was easily at an SAS shave and after 2 passes and a little touch up I'm nearly BBS. The RazoRock hawk was brought out to shave the beard line on my cheeks.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

19. GAW9576

20. GAW9576

I had a great late night Micromatic Monday.

MMBT with Guiding Eye.
    Gem SS PTFE 8th
    Schick E2
    Chick 1
    Sterling Executive man
    Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegital
    Custom 2 Band Badger

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg