Martin De Candre: $$$, But Worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HolyRollah, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Thanks on the Old Town tip. I'm going to call them and order some.

2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

MdC it's a wonderful soap, I will always have it on my rotation

3. KingChoss

KingChoss Member

Used some yesterday. It was a sample and it was supposed to be the unscented, but it packed a lot of scent. It lathered well and had awesome glide, but i'm not sure i can get past the sent on this..which makes me sad..I'll try the other sample i have of it and hopfully it won't be as potent.

4. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I realize I'm bucking the trend here but I've narrowed my razor down to one, and I will end up with two or three soaps in rotation. MdC is at the top of the list followed closely by MWF. At this point I don't have a strong contender for a third or fourth.

5. Luecke2326

Luecke2326 New Member

I've been lusting after this soap for quite some time, but have stayed away from it because of the large stockpile of soaps and creams which I still need to work through... It may take me 5-6 years to work through it all...

Well written review, thanks!

6. natal000

natal000 Active Member

I have about 60+ different shave soaps and this one is the best of all of them. It is well worth the cost. I have used it over 10 times and it still looks unused. The quality and scent are as good as it gets. Some others I have tried are, Dr Harris, Tabac, Razorock XXX, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Barrister & Mann, Caties Bubbles, Mitchell's, Penhaligons, and Phoenix Artisen Accruetments (hope I spelled it right) to name a few and this one tops them all!

7. natal000

natal000 Active Member

This is a better soap, I have dr Harris and it is superb but not like this

8. natal000

natal000 Active Member

How do I go about selling or trading some of my wet shaving products? I have over 60 soaps, 15 brushes, 20 safety razors, several shave creams

9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Da Rules:
    1) To answer your question >here<
    2) From the top, with several links (lots of reading!) >here<

Welcome to The Den!

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No argument here.
    I have both MdC varieties (regular scent and the fougére) as part of the great 'soap rotation.' The more I use other soaps, the more I appreciate the ease and quality volume of lather MdC produces.
    Some soaps come close, but never quite match the standard.

clint64 likes this.
  11. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

MdC original was not worth it for me. The scent was nice, but didn't enchant me; in-shave performance was good, but not better than my current favorites, and post-shave performance was really lacking. Left my face dry and tight, really had to lay on the balm to overcome it.

I ended up passing it on to another TSD member, who paid me most of what I paid for it, but enough less that I hope he feels like he got a good deal.

12. Segafan#1

Segafan#1 Well-Known Member

This is an old thread but just ordered my first jar of de candre so excited for it lol ....looks like a great soap

13. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

It's a fantastic soap! Honestly no BS, it's the only soap I've ever used where you can load a brush for 6 seconds and get a great 3 pass shave with no problem. I didn't believe it either but it works. So when you factor that in the jar lasts forever. So the price per shave is low. If you love the smell of French Lavender jump on it. It will always have a spot in my rotation. The 6 second load is magical! It just keeps lathering.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I hope you find it as high quality a product and top performer as many of us in this thread do for MdC is no small investment.

15. Segafan#1

I got the fern scent but yes from the videos I watch just a few swirls looks like it easily makes a 3 pass shave and so cushingy. Should have my jar tomorrow:)

16. Segafan#1

I'm sure I'll love it this has became a hobby of mine like many on here I'm sure lol. I love my Aqua di Parma but hate to use it they give you so little. De candre gives a fair amount and sounds like it last forever.

17. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

The theory is perfected in practice.
    This way I understood many things.

In detail, two products of the same concept.
    Very different, but they produce a similar lather.
    Difficult to guess looking at the composition.
    But easy to see in the image.
    [​IMG]

Similar characteristics are found in:
    • body
    • brightness
    • texture

So mechanics very similar.

The two products are two champions, in their respective categories.
    On the left, the Proraso White.
    On the right, the Martin de Candre Original.
    As in the fairy tale, more similar than it seems ...
    #theprinceandthepauper

Tdmsu, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

got my mdc agrumes a little while back,nice stuff.will last me a long time..:)

19. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

For sure, Gary.

MdC has two outstanding features:
    • fragrance
    • yield

Steve56, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  20. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

MdC is well worth any penny you pay for it, IMO!

brit likes this.