Proraso Green and I are friends again!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Yehuda D, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Just a few days ago I was at the barbershop for a haircut and then a manicure and Kosta, my barber who’s 78 and a grand master of haircuts and old school shaving mentioned Proraso Green to me. He asked me if I ever tried it and I told him that I was using it almost exclusively for several years but I had gotten absolutely gatvol of it because it was starting to dry my skin and irritate it. He told me it had been reformulated a couple of years ago and it was completely different but I told him I really wasn’t interested. Anyway, he gave me a brand new cream tube and soap bowl free of charge and said “Try them and if you’re not satisfied then throw them out.” When I got back home I test lathered them both and I must say I was very pleased. The scent is still the same, it still has the same great lather but it’s much more skin friendly than it used to be. I used the cream this morning for my shave and it was very enjoyable!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jeff.

Yehuda D likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I enjoy the AS, but found the shaving cream contains EDTA, so is still a no go for me.

:angry032:

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  4. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Just bought my first tube of Green (have the Red tub) a few weeks ago and love it! Got some of their AS as well.
    Haul 1 27 20.jpg

awk-m4, totjoe, Ksblazer and 3 others like this.
  5. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I also have the White bowl soap and the cream as well as the Red and Blue creams. They’re all very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awk-m4, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  6. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

This month I acquired a tub of the green. I had used the re branded C O Bigelow tube and missed that menthol eucalyptus scent and face feel while shaving with it. Getting solid shaves and think it's perfect for the summertime.

Also acquired a tube of Proraso Red cream and aftershave.

Like the scent of the aftershave. Can't wait to try the cream. But I'm going to wait until October before I do. I think it's more of a fall scent and I'm just about 90% of the way from using up all my Irisch Moos cream, that I want to finish 1st. Before I break out something new.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, Jeff, I finally bought Osage. Are ya happy? :). (In fact, first go is tomorrow).

Yehuda D, Ksblazer and brit like this.
  8. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I've had real good results with their Green Tea and Oat soap in the white container.

awk-m4 likes this.
  9. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Member

What is meant by the "rebranded CO Bigelow"? Is Bigelow a rebrand of something else or vice versa?

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

the bigelow is rebranded proraso..

11. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Member

Well I'll be damned! Phooey on Bigelow, then.

brit likes this.
  12. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

My favorite Proraso single blade green, picked up the 500ml tube for only $20, i am set for quite some time
    20210223_085634_copy_768x1365.jpg

awk-m4, totjoe, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  13. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase!!

After finishing off my Sir Irisch Moos cream in a tube. I'm using my Proraso Red in the tube.

I haven't missed the Moos as I feel that the Proraso is better. Like the scent of the red better too,and I don't need to use as much Proraso to make the same amount of lather.

Still using the Proraso green soap in the tub. Thought I wouldn't be using it during the winter time. But I like the eucalyptus scent and the just the right amount of coolness on my face. It just seems to be the perfect pick me up to start the day with.

While I have a den full of aftershaves. I'm getting the urge to buy some Proraso Green aftershave to pair with the soap.

14. LuvWetShavin

Maybe its not "single blade" just called "Green" they do have Proraso single blade though in i think 3 other fragrances Wood & Spice, Azur Lime and also Cypress & Vetiver that all come in the large 500ml tubes

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  15. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

Do they?
    [​IMG]

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  16. LuvWetShavin

My bad ... i guess just the regular comes in the 500ml, the single blade one are 275ml

Silvestris likes this.
  17. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, I finally gave Proraso green shave soap (in the tub) and the green aftershave (new fomula/bottle) a try.....
    Boy was I underwhelmed. I used my trusty Semogue 1305 brush pre-soaked in a scuttle, bloomed the fresh tub, loaded for about 20 seconds and built the lather on my face. The brush was probably too damp but the soap lathered easily (we have soft water here). Lather was a little wet but not too thin. I really didn't care for the scent, but the menthol effect was strong. This would be an good soap on a hot day. Other than that cushion was fair and post shave feel was nothing to write home about. As for the aftershave, it feels like nothing and smells like nothing. Does it have any alcohol in it at all?

I was really expecting to be wowed by this stuff but no..

Send me a pm if you want it.

18. brit

brit in a box

i will say this.just pulled out an NOS box/bottle of proraso green aftershave in the older bottle design.it does smell a touch stronger and feels a little stickier after application compared to the new design bottle.they could well have thinned it out a bit.thankfully i have a couple of back up bottles.but on that note i won't take crap if you find older stock bottles and still dislike it..

Ijustmissedthe50s and Tedolph like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I tried Proraso Green and White several years ago, and my skin agreed with neither of them. Do you know if the Proraso Green in the tub was reformulated as well? It might work for me now then.

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

it could have been.many stories stating so.my experience with both has been in the last 5 year period. Readily available here so little attention has been paid to changes unless visibly different ..:).i see a new all green tube available but not here in shops yet.

awk-m4, Ijustmissedthe50s and Eeyore like this.