The Discontinuation that MOST disappointed you...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Primotenore, Jul 5, 2020.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It was a spray cologne. It was quite good. Edit: in a bottom shelf cologne sort of way.

Frijolero likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

:happy088: I live on the bottom shelf.

Keithmax, BamaT, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's heartening to see that the missus upgraded you from the dog house. ;)

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've reached the age where you take what you get.

5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

'70s Gillette Platinum-Plus blades. The *real* McCoy.
    [​IMG]
    They can still be had on the 'bay, but they're expensive. Like 10 bucks or better per dispenser.

6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, these are The Best a Man Can Get. I can get at least 10 good shaves out of one.

And besides, even at $10, that's roughly on par with what you'd pay to shave with Gillette's ProGlide Shield system...

'65 G-Slim and Keithmax like this.
  7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Haslinger tallow shave soap

Haven't tried the new vegan reformulation. But I just liked the way the soap performed to its price.

TommyCarioca and Primotenore like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

People have long told me that Haslinger Schafmilch was the bee's knees with a cherry on top. I tried it recently and it was pretty good, but nothing near great, and certainly not better than Mitchell's Wool Fat. I was going to do a review on Haslinger's, but concluded it wasn't worth the bother. There are plenty of other shaving soaps out there that are better.

Maybe the Haslinger that was ten times better than Mitchell's Wool Fat was the tallow version? If so, then the old adage "If it works, don't fix it" would apply.

I know it can be annoying when a favored product is discontinued, but don't think it is worth worrying over. Unlike 10-15 years ago, there are now lots of great alternatives to take the place of discontinued products.

Frijolero likes this.
  9. Ksblazer

I'm not saying that it was the greatest soap ever.

It was just perfect to me for an every work morning workhorse. Got a quick great quality slick enough lather and a solid post save feel that was consistent from the get go.

The price to quality made it a favorite of mine.

10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Another blade that's on par with these is the original Schick's Plus-Platinum. Great blade.

Ursa likes this.
  11. Ksblazer

I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

Actually have been wanting to. Just heard it takes a little longer to lather up. But it's worth it. For my morning work day shaves. I want a quick and easy quality lather that takes very little time. I'm half awake at 4 in the morning.

While I'm in no hurry and have plenty of soaps to shave with. I was thinking about giving CRSW Schapenmilk a try first. It's been sold out for a while. So maybe I'll go with Mitchells instead. Don't expect any problems with lathering it since I have good soft water.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Presentation is important. For me, Pannacrema Nuavia switching away from their ceramic jars is tragic!

TommyCarioca, brit, Angelo85 and 3 others like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

While I'm not familiar with the product, the concept of losing glass bottles is a great example of "discontinued" that I hadnt thought about!

Angelo85, Frijolero and dmshaver like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yummy Mummy cereal, last seen about seven Halloweens ago.

Wait, does it HAVE to be shave related?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Ursa, brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and 5 others like this.
  15. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I might be mistaken, but I believe that Denim Gold aftershave is discontinued. When I visit their website the Gold line of aftershave is never mentioned. Sad really as I truly enjoy Denim Gold. I like the scent of it; kinda like a blend of Oud and Musk.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jim99 like this.
  16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

That’s how I feel about vintage Wilkinson Sword blades as well as the Gillette Spoiler blades.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  17. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Chatillon Lux TSM Fougere. Luckily I have 3.5 bottles still.

18. ghostlife

Haslinger lathers a lot more easily in bad/hard water than MWF. If you have nice water it might not matter. I also find the Schafmilch flavor specifically is pretty good for the skin, but that is sort of a moot point if you use nice moisturizing aftershaves like I do.

It's also good value because as such a hard soap you can easily get 150+ shaves off that small puck

Yeah, this one hurts. I was also a big fan of their aftershave formulation, and especially their scents. All I have left is a little bit of Cape Verde soap and a bottle of Reunion aftershave...

Primotenore and Frijolero like this.
  19. ghostlife

Did not know they were gone already, that's a shame. Really great value product.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

hopefully the new price will reflect that..

dmshaver likes this.