I need a manly after shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by wyoduster, Jul 28, 2020.

1. wyoduster

wyoduster New Member

I've been using TABAC and like that smell.. What can you recommend that smells manly?

2. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

A few of the very best!

Brut
    Jaguar
    Alt Innsbruck
    Pitralon Original
    Pashana Original

Frijolero, gorgo2 and BigD like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Vintage Avon Leather.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Clubman
    Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
    Mennen Skin-Bracer
    Stephan Bay Rum
    Central Texas Soaps Week-end Rodeo(Leather)

5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Avon Leather is great!

This is one of those scents that if I could have only one bottle after shave / cologne it would be Special Reserve ..... "Every man will wish he smelled as good as you"

And the added bonus ..... it's long lasting.

:eatdrink013:

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Any of the Sterling scents with the word "Man" in it. I have a few and they are wonderfully sophisticated and smell great.

Frijolero, gorgo2, BigD and 4 others like this.
  8. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Wow! Lots of testosterone in a bottle listed here! Can't go wrong with any of those suggestions. They would be included in what fragrance makers have taught us are manly scents. Scent "gender" is totally subjective, especially if you look at the history of scents worn "cosmetically". Any maker's Bay Rum scent is their take on a fragrance basically concocted by seasoned, land conquering men of the sea. But its ingredients wouldnt exactly be known as masculine items or substances. Pinaud's own Lilac Vegital was first produced to improve the body scent of soldiers know to be grizzled, diehard fighters. There you have it...Lilac...as manly as it gets. Old Spice, universally thought of now as a quintessential "manly" fragrance, was originally designed for women. Tabac, which I love in an aftershave and cologne, contains a handful of floral notes and is not in any way formulated to resemble smoked tocacco or rough and tumble tobacco products. I'm no expert on scents and don't pretend to be able to pick out nine different individual notes from one scent, nor am I an expert on the history of aftershaves, colognes etc. I have well over 60 aftershave scents in my den and maybe half that in colognes of various types. None are complex, high ends makers etc, I just wear things that I like. For the practical, probably more to the general basis of your question, any of the above after shaves would fuel the front line of any football team lol.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  9. Paul Turner

Good commentary, Doc Warnee. :)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Tabac is based off of the scent of tobacco flowers. That's why it smells "not tobacco."

BamaT, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Yeppers. And there are, of course, many varieties of the general term "tobacco flower". I've been around lots of tobacco plant varieties and really enjoy the sweetness of some flowers and the pungency of others. So when I hear something described as smelling like tobacco, my mind naturally goes to the flowers. I do not know which, if any, particular variety Tabac is based on.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Frijolero, gorgo2 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

All aftershaves are ‘manly’, because women don’t shave their faces and use aftershave.

ghostlife, Sara-s, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Lol...probably true (hopefully true, even lol) but my gf uses at least three Stirling after shaves on her legs and I think three or four others.. Thosr are splashes, and she also uses some balms/lotion after shaves as well. We know a few ladies who do the same. She's several yrs my junior, though lol. I guess we're talking more about scents than the product, after shave. Though in fairness, th OP did use after shave in his question.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

My manly ASes;
    Old Spice Original/Classic
    Brut (All versions)
    Clubman Special Reserve
    Bay Rum
    Proraso Sandalwood
    Proraso Wood and Spice/Cypress and Vetiver
    My DiY Oud AS/EdC
    Aqua Velva both Eur and US Versions
    Arko Gold/Platinum/Cool/Fresh

15. wyoduster

wyoduster New Member

Wow so much information.. Thanks..

16. Paul Turner

You're welcome. The ones I listed are ones I currently own. I did forget to adds Clubman Special Reserve, as I own that, too, but I see someone else mentioned it...glad he did. Good luck in your search.

17. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Mem Co English Leather
    Clubman Special Reserve
    Avon Excalibur
    Avon Bravo
    Aramis

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Don't forget Brut.

"By Faberge."

edit: Johnny and BigD are already hip.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

EL and Excalibur are almost identical, on purpose. Aramis is a timeless beast.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's two usually available at WM called Aspen and Preferred Stock. Cheap but not bad ... so now that I just tried my bottle of PF for the first time in a few years, it smells like a box of crayons melted in a new leather upholstered car with a full ashtray and a floral air freshener. But not in a bad way.

Want something unusual? An older bottle of ONE MAN SHOW, a riot of sharp, sage-heavy greenness. Unique but unmistakably masculine. It might be reducible to a/s strength but I wouldn't know how.

I would mention Oland but...risky.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020