August 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jul 31, 2020.

?

How are you going to make AUgust your gold medal month?

1. I am going to choose only the gear that gives me my best shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I am going to experiment with different gear to discover my gold medal shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I am going to use any gear I want, because I can get a gold medal shave from anything.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. I am actually allergic to gold, so I am going to go for platinum medal shaves.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I am going to use Gold Medal flour and bake cookies, which have been noticeably absent recently.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It’s August already and that means it’s time for a new 30DC challenge, with or without a “focus”. What does that really mean :signs002:
    Why would anyone want to take an aspect of their shave and repeat it over and over for an entire month? Here’s why, and I will recall for you a particular month, in which I did exactly that.

I had recently acquired a fairly “hard-to-find” razor; specifically, a 2011 Mühle R41, renowned for its ultra-aggressiveness. Indeed, I could not get through a single shave, without drawing blood. Now, I was no :whacky024: to traditional wet shaving by any means, :rolleyes005: indeed, I had been getting really great shaves for about 3-4 years, but this particular razor kicked my butt.

After spending some time participating in this thread, I made a decision to throw down the proverbial gauntlet, and shave with this razor for the next 30 days.

Damn the torpedoes---full steam ahead!
    :transport024:

(We’ll get back to this story in a minute…first let us take care of some thread business):

Here are the “official” rules and/or recommendations for this unique and fast-moving thread:

Take one brush, one soap, one razor, one brand of blades and
    use them daily for the entire month.

Easier said than done, but, if you decide to give it a go, you are guaranteed a better, closer, more comfortable shaving experience than you have ever had before. That’s not hyperbole my friends, those are the facts. And cheering you on are the shavers, who, with a combined millennia of shaving experience, are ready to answer your questions; give you friendly advice; support your acquisition disorders :signs002: but mostly help you make your shave better and more fun.

Many of us here at TSD were, at one time or another, what I liked to call myself: “reluctant shavers”.
    Oh, how I disliked shaving. I looked at it as a necessary evil. In my profession, I wasn’t required to shave unless I had an opera that evening, and even after becoming a college professor, I would only shave about once every 6-10 days. Needless to say...

I looked like a bum most of the time.

:signs011:
    Then I watched that Pawnshop dude hawk the Micro-Touch One Blade. (I would later learn that the razor was actually a Weishi, a Super-Speed clone) I was hooked.

That was in February 2014 and I have been a daily shaver ever since, with all the trimmings and trappings that accompany our hobby. I joined TSD in March of the same year, but didn’t really begin to participate fully until about two years later. Soon thereafter, I discovered this thread and the rest is history.

Best shaving thread on the internet.
    :signs011:

Now, there are a few disclaimers, which I am required by law to present to you:

1) All are welcome, newbies and veterans
    2) Respect each other at all times
    3) Adhere to the rules of this forum

One fun tradition is to give each month a “theme”. May is Mayhem, October is OCtober, etc.

So, what to do in August…? The first two letters of the month are AU…interestingly, you can go with AUstere or in the exact opposite direction using the Periodic Table of Elements, AU being the symbol of Gold.

Not a lot of us have gold shaving gear, but what we all do have is a burning desire to reach the “gold standard” with our shaves. So there you have it.

I declare August 2020:
    Go for the Gold month.

iu.jpg

Choose the shave gear, which gives you the BEST shave you can get. Do you have particular razor/blade combination that never lets you down? Do you have a soap, which creates the most exquisite and sumptuous lather on planet earth? Is there an aftershave that sets you apart from the rest? This doesn’t necessarily mean the most expensive gear; we all know that a vintage puck of Williams will create a lather that is hardly rivaled by soaps costing 10x as much (well, I do anyway). It could be that user-grade Tech, which never, but never lets you down. Or…Clubman, or even Arko :shocked003:. YOUR best gear to give you that Gold Medal shave.

The most important rule, one that is not really “official”, is to share your shave experience with your fellow shavers.

Share the news of your shave. What worked; what needs improvement. Share of yourself and take interest in each other. We come together with a common love of traditional wet shaving and, while we may never come face-to-face with 99% of our members, we can “virtually” support each other and our great shaving community. We are a team of compatriots, new and old, dedicated to the proposition that everyone can and should get a superb and more importantly, enjoyable shave.

So how did my 30DC with the Mühle R41 go? Honestly, the first 5-6 shaves were rough, but with the support and encouragement of the TSD members, the shaves improved incrementally, until eventually, I tamed that wretched beast. I could not have accomplished that without the aid of this thread.

Let's make August a shaving month for the record books, shall we?
    Now it's time to shave ‘n share, my friends. Welcome to AUgust. :shaver

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes, we should

Happy August to the crew. Be your Best!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

3. Bama Samurai

4. brit

brit in a box

awesome intro Joseph..i am in. i have a few gold bits kicking around..i'll do an "awesome august" gold standard theme..:)

5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

After I finish my Cryogen experiment this Sunday, I am going to use a new soap and another that I tried only once at least a few times this month. I will be finishing another puck as well. I will be calling this month Adjustable/Alternating August. I will be interspersing more adjustable razors with my straights and shavettes for my shaves. Let's have a great August!

6. Bama Samurai

[​IMG]

I will be growing my beard. No full shave since July 10.

Outline is Shavette or straight all month.

Lots of reggae and Canada jokes.

Love you guys, be well.

7. Trigger

Hi Chris! Is there a reason why you are growing a beard?

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wonderful opening post, Joseph. Bravo!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

9. brit

brit in a box

he's becoming a lumberjack and moving to canada..:D

10. Bama Samurai

Yes.

It's an act of dissidence. Against board rules to explain. But until current issues improve... I will grow a beard.

John 3:16-17
    Matthew chapters 5-7
    Matthew 10
    John 14:1-6

11. Bama Samurai

He's really good.

12. Bama Samurai

Might be....

jtspartan, FaceScraper, jluc and 3 others like this.
  13. Trigger

Understood.

14. brit

brit in a box

:)

15. brit

brit in a box

was asking my wife about the meanings in those chapters..:)

FaceScraper, jluc, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

PM me

Board rules.

17. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

SOTD 20200801 SCHaDE
    by IschiaPP @ Forio
    •••
    Institut Karité Paris Elixir de Beauté
    (Huile de Karité & Pépin de Raisin)
    ---
    Bat71 “PP73”
    Prugno (Plum), Abalone, Oumo Mother Lode, 28x53x115mm
    ---
    Saponificio Varesino 1945 "Asylum Colonia"
    Beta4.3 Shaving Soap / After Shave Lotion
    Limited Edition 2018 Bullgoose Shaving
    ---
    FrankenRazor Katana Blue
    (Yaqi Single Edge Cobbled Half DE (SCHaDE) / Cumbo Srl Focus Tritok Blue)
    ---
    Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless #3
    •••
    #Shave #WetShaving #WetShavers
    #ShaveOfTheDay #ShaveLikeaMan
    #SErazor #NewEntry #Test
    [​IMG]
    Full size:
    https://i.imgur.com/1anVG1p.jpg
    Soundtrack:
    Scarborough Fair - Taryn Harbridge

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wonderful start to the month, Pierpaolo!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Trigger, brit, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  19. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Just another wonderful shave Pierpaolo.

Trigger, brit, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

August 1st
    Razor: Seygus Zeppelin Dual Personality
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Brush: 30DC Meet-up brush
    Pre-shave: PAA Rabid Banana Cube
    Soap: SV Felce Aromatica
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    PAA unscented Star Jelly
    AS: SV Felce Aromatica

Good morning!

I received the Seygus Zeppelin Dual Personality earlier this week. I don't have a dual gap razor in the collection and I found it interesting the way the razor clamps the blade. The blade is bent in such a way that it looks like it's frowning. Upon arrival the first thing that caught my eye was the poor quality finish. Especially noticeable because I've been using the impeccably finished HC&S razors. A lot of light surface scratches on the topcap and baseplate. I contacted Phil at Bullgoose to ask if I received a bad example. He informed me that Seygus didn't do a good job on the finish and provided an address to return the razor should I decide not to keep it. How it shaves will be the determining factor. Will it stay or will it go?

I used the .7 blade gap side which has a scalloped safety bar for pass one. Very, very smooth with little blade feel and muted feedback. I used the .5 smooth safety bar side for passes two and three. Truthfully I really didn't notice a difference in blade feel or aggression, still just buttery smooth. After three passes I had my usual near BBS with almost zero feedback from the alum. Just a light tingle in the hollows of my neck. As of now I'm calling it a keeper but I'll get a couple more shaves in with it before making my final decision.

Have a great weekend!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.