The Gillette Slant Pass Back Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 26, 2020.

1. brit

brit in a box

sorry Ryan,not putting my 1st gen brit oc 'crat up for renewal.;)

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Shave number two with the MonoBilt went much better.

I got blade feel from it this time, because I used a Feather blade, and the shave was fairly smooth. Slantification changed the angle that this razor needs to be used at, which is why I had issues with the first shave.

I still think that turning it into a slant didn't offer any improvements to the shave.

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Micro History Time:
    The Gillette Old came in two top cap variants. A thick cap and thin cap. The thin cap version was followed by the thicker cap.

Apparently, the thin cap was prone to bending, warping, and otherwise failing to hold blades correctly. I have read that it was complaints about the flex and general durability that caused Gillette to modify the cap and make it thicker.

After the passage of over a hundred years, most of the thin cap versions have had the original built in shave geometry altered beyond what the flexible top cap already offered. Dents in the corner of the top cap especially changed the way the razor shaved and held blades.

Most Ball End Old Types are the thicker cap. Single and Double Rings make up the majority of the thin cap varieties.
    Timeline Old Type small.jpg
    @mr-razor photo credit

The ABC button razors are generally considered both the prettiest of the early Gillette razors, and the worst shaving. These are easily identified by the scallop shape between each tooth, instead of the square gaps between teeth used by every other Gillette razor.

The thin (edit: THICK) cap version is closest in profile to a Valencia. At this time, I don't know how a thin cap version shaves compared to a thick cap version. As far as the question of which is easier or better to bend, they will bend the same.

If the razor is suffering from some of the above mentioned maladies, I won't promise that turning it into a slant will fix them. It will correct what can be corrected through pressure and the support offered by the baseplate slant part of the die.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    jmudrick, Jim99 and brit like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you look hard enough, this is what $17 shipped will get you on eBay. I'm looking forward to trying an Old Type for the first and last time. Then trying it as a Valencia style slant.
    s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400 (4).jpg
    It's surprising to me that I've never actually owned one of these. I attribute it to my long-standing dislike of 3 piece razors, this razor's tendency to have split or cracked handles (this one as well) and my personal preference for razors without plate loss.

Also, the fact that I had a German travel razor, which is very similar.

This particular razor is most likely a frankenrazor, because both the thin cap and serial numbers (for non deluxe models) were phased out in 1921. This is a non serialized, thin cap razor, which means that either the razor was produced in late 1921/ early 1922 which would make it both rarer than it's serialized brethren, and less valuable; or it was paired with a baseplate from 1921-1928, which would make it worthless, from a collector's point of view. The latter is most likely the case. The baseplates remained unchanged between the two models, and the presence of serial numbers is the only way to differentiate between the two.

Either way, it lacks collectible value, despite it's overall good condition.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Frijolero, brit, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    For those curious about the Fatip Lo Storto vs. Old Type style slants, the Lo Storto is more like a Gillette New than an Old, and we can't bend the New, so they will each offer a unique shaving experience. Any gripes I have about Fatip is purely related to my misgivings about the razor's build quality, not it's shaving ability. From everything I've read, the Lo Storto is one of the few Fatip razors that offers consistent and even blade exposure.

Edit: changed the French words to Italian.

Jim99, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's "lo Storto". Ok what an I missing...how is this more like the New(s) than the Old? Curved plate, no fulcrum shoulder, lather channels, or corner tabs...? The curve of the Fatip plate is close enough to the Old Type that many folks swap caps with no issues. [​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Jim99, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Fat teeth.

Edit: and thanks for the spelling lesson. :) fixed!

brit and Jim99 like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ah, yes fat teeth it's got.Though I don't think that defines the shave to any great extent.

For those keeping score I'm 5 for 5 with my Fatips, no issues with alignment, plating or anything else. I prefer the shave of the $30 lo Storto to my Wolfman.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Well...then I got nothing.

jmudrick and brit like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It didn't bend evenly, and the top cap was gappy. Basically, the top cap was stiffer/harder than the bottom plate. I was forced to anneal your razor and re-bend it to get rid of the gap.

Since I had to sterilize it multiple times (darn Covid-19), I took the liberty of shaving with it for a direct head-to-head with the Valencia (I hope you don't mind). To me they felt pretty identical, very smooth, with the Gillette being ever so slightly harsher. That may have been because I accidentally loaded a Feather in the Gillette, rather than the Astra green I'd planned on using. Either way, it's going back to Jeff, and he can form his own opinions.

I put off shaving with Tom's slant razor by a day to make sure this one was good to go. :p
    IMG_1596561293307.JPEG

Aztecmike, Enrico, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I edited my previous post, but I'll repost here so nobody misses it.

The thick cap Gillette Old is closest to a Valencia, and it's still the thinner by a wide margin.

brit and jmudrick like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I should have pointed out that I didn't have to anneal the razor. It tightened down just fine, and that removed the gap. I have a plated razor coming, and if the same thing happens I will give the owner the choice on how to proceed.

Edit:
    My biggest concern was that the stiffness (tightness?) added to the head by the gap will cause people to slip and cut themselves when tightening or loosening the head. I don't believe it adds or detracts from the way the razor will shave.

...and it looks better when things fit together correctly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    brit, jmudrick and twhite like this.
  15. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

The “scalloped” ABCs were the first (stamped) batch, made in 1908-09, then the base plate was changed to the milled version. There is also a hybrid, squared teeth but stamped center hole (flat on bottom).
    If we count the military contract of ww1, thin head (102) ball ends should be the most numerous 102 variant.
    There are actually four head variants, the stamped ABC, 102 (thin), 102a (thick) and a 102a base with a cap between the 102 and 102a (quite similar in thickness to the open comb Rotbart Mond-Extra).

Think I forgot the Big fellow, an even thicker comb than the 102a, so five variants.

Adam

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thought I would post the worlds first Gillette slant. It is a WWI model. Used by General Pershing himself I hear.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tjebbe, PLANofMAN, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

twhite likes this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice work!

:happy088:

twhite and brit like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

All set for a full workout in the morning. Shaved my neck this evening just to try it out and it was very smooth and angle easy to find. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I have to admit this is way better than expected. Shimmed and with my sharpest blade , a second use BIC, razor is still mild but very efficient. I still did my Leaf pick-ups pass but there wasn't much to pick up. Very very pleased with this thing, tremendous thanks to Tom and Ryan for their work on it.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk