Schick Type L injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Feb 17, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Type L razors were produced between 1967 - 1984. There is a lot of variations but can be put into distinct categories depending the date range produced with a few exceptions.

Some key pieces of information are that the early ones from 67 - 69/70 were produced by Eversharp and the ones produced from 1970 on were made by Warner Lambert. During this run the typical Type L known as an L1 came with 3 distinct logo styles and a such we can put a date range on the majority of the Type L razors based upon this.

The first date range is from 1967 - 1972. These have the larger Schick lettering with a triangle under the word Schick as seen here.
    L1_67-72.jpg

The second date range is from 1972 - 1982. These have the smaller Schick lettering with the logo underlined as seen here.
    L1_72-82.jpg

Finally the last range is 1982 - 1984 these go to a solid large style logo the same as seen on the later Type N and Type O injector.
    l1-1980.jpg

With that the first 3 variants will be based on these razors, any razors that don't share these logo styles will be designated as their own variants unless otherwise stated where I know how they shave.

1st variants - Schick large lettering logo with triangle under logo.

Style 1 - This razor is the precursor to the Type L1 and was only produced for a few months in early 1967 before being dropped and later reintroduced as the Type L1 around Christmas of 1967. Produced 1967.
    l0a.jpg Northwest_Arkansas_Times_Mon__Feb_27__1967_rs.jpg

Style 2 - This is the flagship injector from this period referred to as an L1. Produced 1967 - 1972.
    L1_67-72.jpg

Style 3 - This razor was most likely was marketed as a ladies razor and has a purple handle. I am of the belief that this razor is sometimes misidentified as a the blue handle L4. It is the purple handled razor in the below picture. Produced 1971. I've never seen these advertised either and based upon the packaging I would say they were a mail order or some sort of promotional item.
    l5a.jpg l5b.jpg

Style 4 - This was a promotional razor produced for the 1972 Olympics sold as a Championship razor. It is also referred to as an L7. Produced 1972.
    l7-72.jpg

Style 5 - This a long handle Type L Schick '500' injector. It is the only one produced with a hydro-magic lever. These were produced in the US and overseas and were never originally designated by Appleby. Produced 1969 - 1972 possibly up to 1975.
    Schick_500_holland_2.jpg Schick_500_holland_1.jpg Schick500_1972_b.jpg Schick_1972_a.jpg

Style 6 - This is a greenish tie-dyed Type L '500'. Unknown when produced.
    Schick_Green.jpg

Style 7 - This is a purplish tie-dyed Type L '500'. Unknown when produced.
    Schick500_purple.jpg

Style 8 - This one is the only known gold plated 1st variant and also has a brownish color handle.
    [​IMG]
    Style 8 razor is on the left.

Style 9 - white handle only version
    [​IMG]

2nd variants - Smaller underlined Schick lettering logo.

Style 1- This is the flagship injector from this period referred to as an L1. Produced 1972 - 1982.
    L1_72-82.jpg

Style 2 - This one is referred to as an L5 and sometimes also referred to as a Paul Revere which is a misnomer. This razor was distributed through International Silver but was never called a Paul Revere. It was referred to unofficially as a pistol grip razor and officially as a Schick Classic. It came in 2 finishes either in Pewter or Sterling Silver. It is unknown the exact dates International Silver distributed this razor but is assumed to be between 1976 - 1980. Schick also gave this razor away in 1978 through a mail in promotion which they took out full page ads in national newspapers.
    lp1.jpg The_Spokesman_Review_Sun__May_7__1978_rs.jpg
    Style 2 razor is the last one on the right.

Style 3 - This one is the second variant of the Championship razor also referred to as an L7. Produced 1972. As can be seen by the date code on the packaging this razor proves the logo change for 2nd variants was in 1972 since the razor came it both a 1st and 2nd logo variant. Contrary to the misinformation out there this razor was only produced as a promotional for the 1972 US Olympics and no other years.

489SchickL1Olympics_01.jpg 489SchickL1Olympics_02.jpg

Style 4 - This one was never formally designated but was always packaged as a Golden Schick and is identified by the gold plating on the razor head. Known to be produced 1977 - 1978, possible it was produced sold in subsequent years.
    Schick_Golden.jpg

Style 5 - This one is an orange handled version that is undesignated. Unknown when produced.
    L1_orange.jpg

Style 6 - This one is a white handled version that is undesignated.
    lp1.jpg
    Style 6 is the first razor on the bottom left.

Style 7 - This one shares the same handle as the Type J. Unknown when produced.
    TypeLJ.jpg

Style 8 - Greenish color handle razor produced for the Canadian market, unknown if also produced in the US or elsewhere. Produced 1972 as per packaging.
    la.jpg lb.jpg

Style 9 - Yellow handle. Looks like the Easy Rider but isn't as can be seen by the logo and guard.
    Ly1.jpeg ly2.jpeg

3rd variant - Solid large style logo.

Style 1- This is the flagship injector from this period referred to as an L1. Produced 1982 - 1984.
    l1-1980.jpg
    These shave the same as the second variants. They are grouped by themselves because the variants are defined here by the logos on the razor heads.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Now for variants that aren't based on the L1 handle or logos but were produced in the same time frame. I haven't used them before so they may or may not shave like the first 2 variants.

4th variant

Style 1- This one was sold as the Easy Rider and is also referred to as an L6. The Easy Rider has nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with how it shaves as seen in the commercial below. Produced 1971 - 1972. Besides the Easy Rider by Schick logo the guard has teeth on it.
    Schick_Easyrider.jpg se1.jpeg l6b.jpeg

5th variant

Style 1 - This one was sold as as the Stick Schick and is also referred to as an L2. Produced 1973 - 1975.
    SchickStick.jpg

6th variant
    Style 1 - This was sold as a Schick Grip and is also referred to as an L3. Produced 1975 - 1976. This razor was designed specifically from Twin blades and doesn't not perform as well with a single edge injector blade even though they were given away free with both types of blades.
    SchickGrip.jpg gript.jpg

Style 2 - Same razor head as the Schick Grip but the handle and logo are the same as your standard Type L injector. The teeth on the guard is how you differentiate from a 2nd variant L1. These were known to be sold in Japan and also the US since they are stamped with US patent numbers. Assumed produced between 1975 and 1976.
    lj3.jpg lj1.jpg

Also of note there is modern Type L clone based on this Type L razor with teeth on the guard. The clone version won't have the Schick logo on the razor head. It also is a much more aggressive injector than this one.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Nice write up. I did not know they made an L Type Schick 500 as well. I only have the J Type.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Me neither until recently and only in the last few days did I find proof as seen in the blister pack pictures that this razor was sold in US besides Europe. I've never seen an ad in a US paper for a '500' after 1969 and never one with an L style handle. The only reason I can date that razor to 1969 as the introduction date is instruction sheet on the one made in Holland. It says Eversharp on it so it had to have been printed prior to the merger in 1970.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

New first variant update.
    Classified as a 1st variant style 8.
    Key features are the gold plated head and brownish color handle.
    Two L1s.jpg
    Razor on the left is the 1st variant, style 8.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update more definitive proof the 2nd variant logo change was in 1972 as seen here on this retail packaging for the 2nd variant style 3 aka L7 Championship razor. Information rewritten accordingly in main post.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. brit

brit in a box

canadian type l-1 with underlined schick logo.. 20200804_135143_edited.jpg

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is any difference shave wise between the Canadian Type L and US made. Even if not that is still one of the better milder injectors out there. If you want a truely unique Canadian Schick injector you need to get a black handle Type G made in Canada. They never made that style of Type G in the US and some of them have the older style fixed spring that was on the Type E injectors which is also unique to Canadian Type G injectors.

9. brit

brit in a box

very cool,would love one..how is the i hydromatic?

Droo78 likes this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends which iteration but in the main middle ground except for beard buster variants.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

black short handle eversharp hydromatic..

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

ok thank you..

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

See the edited post. I would suggest checking the dummies thread for visual differences but I think the 1st variant is the one you'd like better. Beard buster would be the 2nd variant types.

I happen to have one in the first variant iteration I am trying to offload if you are interested. Razor is a bit rough looking but I have the original case and all.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

all good sir thank you..will keep you posted..:)

16. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I have a Type I Hydro-magic and it is a great razor, but will give an occasional bite (which I am still baffled as to why).

Aztecmike and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

something i will consider in the future,i like the design of them.i would love a black handled g or a blue/chrome 66.. then i should stop. i see the rabbit hole looming..;)

Droo78 likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update green handle style Type L added under the 2nd variants as a style 8.

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

update some better packaging pictures of the L4.
    l5a.jpg l5b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member