Shave bowl

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jason koonce, Jul 22, 2020.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am finally back in conus and things will be easier to get ahold of lol. I am now I. The market for a new shave bowl. Any suggestions?

2. brit

brit in a box

captains choice heavy copper.. TPzqpIu.jpg

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

4. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome home, Jason.

jason koonce and brit like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and BigD like this.
  7. MelC

MelC Member

Timeless plastic bowl. Fits your hand, has ridges in the bottom, unbreakable, $12. Makes quick lather.

8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Captain's Choice copper is my favorite.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just use a plain ole smooth bottom stainless steel bowl from China I bought on ebay. Its the same size as the Van der Hagen green ceramic bowl, but it's made of "I can't break it SS :happy088:" and it was fairly inexpensive. I've had it for many many years now.:)

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

11. brit

brit in a box

my newest shave bowl.. images.jpeg

12. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I just bought myself this.

image.png

13. brit

brit in a box

MntnMan62 likes this.
  14. MntnMan62

It's a great looking mug. I've used it once since getting it and have to admit that the steep side walls and the size of it result in lots of clinking noise from the brush bumping against the sides. And because of the depth you really need a brush with a long handle. I was using a copy of a Rubberset 400 brush with a tall boar loft and it still made lots of noise. However, I will also say that every bit of lather stayed in the bowl. With other bowls I need to "manage" the lather by swirling in such a way as to keep the lather from flowing over the rim. That wasn't necessary with this one.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i am more into wide bowls for lathering for that reason.not the noise so much but fear of chipping some of my resin brush handles..i use my mugs to hold hard soaps and for brush loading only..i then face lather those "mugged" soaps..croaps and creams get bowl lathered in the captain's copper or others..

Ijustmissedthe50s and MntnMan62 like this.
  16. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Nope.
    This is a synth, called Horse by Yaqi.

17. MntnMan62

I have heard the coating on the bowl can come off? Have you seen any evidence of that? I really really love that bowl and could easily jusify getting one but that is a lingering question I have. It looks to be the perfect size and shape and the swirling smooth ridges on the bottom look like they would do a great job in making lather without any damage whatsoever to a brush. Just wondering about that coating though.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i haven't experienced that so far,but i guess it's possible..the coating inside the bowl is getting a touch cloudy looking but i associated that with constant lathering.i guess if it was dropped the coating could chip.sorry i don't have any better answer for you Todd.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  19. MntnMan62

No. That's a great answer. It's a great looking bowl and I'm hoping that one of these days I'll have the same heavy copper one in my den.

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i did see a member here remove the coating and polish it.but..not my thing..:)

MntnMan62 likes this.