tourqued Pass around. New slant razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jul 28, 2020.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Shave #2 : Tibam titanium handle, Suneko blade, Proraso SB. The Suneko didn't feel quite as smooth as the Nacet but still a great shave. Efficiency is not quite a 10/10 as there are still a bit of pick-ups after my single ATG head shave with the triple blade Leaf (or comparable Enders). On the other hand exposure is not great enough that I have to be extra careful on the back of my head where I sometimes overdo it with more aggressive razors with comparable efficiency. No clogging with the Proraso.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Droo78, Karl G and twhite like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tom White Tuesday. Playing with exposure in the TBT, Kai blade and one shim, can definitely feel the difference. Not sure the additional exposure is for the better, now had to be careful at that tricky spot at the back of my head. I'll lose the shim tomorrow.

I used the Wabbit for a second pass, Chick blade and it was easy to use, reasonably effective. It feels too disposable cart like for my taste. I packed up my scale but the difference in weight between the Wabbit and my Enders, the only injector razor not packed up, is quite substantial. After the pass I took out both the Leaf and the Enders and both were picking up residual stubble I missed with the Wabbit. [​IMG]

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Tom also sent me a razor. I haven't had a chance to use Tom's Tourqued razor yet, but I can give some initial impressions.

It has more blade exposure than the Valencia/Gillette slants, and it has less blade curvature than the Valencia, so this is definitely it's own animal, rather than a modern recreation of an existing slant profile, which is one of the things I wondered about when Tom announced that he was going to make his own slant based on his TAR razors.

Initial impression based on a dry run (just testing angle and blade feel, no actual shaving), this is the slant equivalent of an R-41 (or for those who tried the TAR, one of those).

Edit: 8ish hours is long enough...
    It's a little bitey. Definitely more aggressive feeling than the Gillette slant. Smoother as well. I don't think it shaves as closely, but this is only the first shave with it, and I didn't want to aggravate my skin.

Overall, I like it. I don't know if I could use it as a daily driver, since it's a bit aggressive for my taste. Fit is excellent, and with a run through some polishing media, would have a finish to match most commercial production razors.

As far as I'm concerned, Tom has graduated from home-brew razor tinkerer to professional level razor artisan with this razor.
    IMG_1596568876660.JPEG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Billyfergie, Jim99, twhite and 2 others like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fatip Lo Storto vs . Tom White TBT, BIC, Proraso SB. Too close to call .

I don't find the TBT particularly aggressive. The Lo Storto is sneakily so for its minimized blade feel which is more likely to cause me to nick the back of my head. From that perspective the TBT is easier to manage.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Billyfergie, Jim99, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Best TBT shave thus far, milder Treet Plat with a shim. Terrific efficiency and very manageable. [​IMG]

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Did you shim the cap or the blade?

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Bottom shim.

PLANofMAN and twhite like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Gillette v. Torqued By Tom. Nice as the Gillette is it's outclassed by Tom's razor which I find both smoother and more efficient. Second use Kai in both.[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Tom sent me a new cap to try on the "Tourqued by Tom" razor.

As far as technical stuff goes, this cap is designed to change the blade exposure to .005" and is .016" total wider. For comparison, the original cap's blade exposure is .10".

It was a very comfortable shave. Gillette Tech levels of comfort. I was quickly reminded that this was not, in fact, a tech, as a myriad of small red dots and a small trickle of blood appeared after my final rinse. Obviously, I've been pressing just a bit too hard during the shave.

I used an Astra for this shave. Tomorrow, I'll try Voskhod. Perhaps this will finally be the magic razor those dull but super smooth blades will perform well in?

I really like this version of the razor, and am looking forward to dialing it in over the next few shaves.

Edit: I'll post up pics later.

Droo78, Jim99, jmudrick and 1 other person like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

So you could tell the difference then. That is good news. Slight changes to caps can make big changes in shave performance. This new cap design not only decreased exposure but also covered more blade making for a tad more support

Looking forward to your reviews.

Billyfergie, brit, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

45A05945-B73F-439A-803B-F1F3DA0D0C81.jpeg 8F472EAB-6D06-45C2-AD6B-68547395E16A.jpeg
    I’ll preface this by saying that I’ll be using the Torqued Razor for neck cleanup and head shaves. I’m two months into a straight razor focus, and have been using my safety razors for neck cleanup and head shaves. I loaded a Suneko blade for this first shave, I’m still working on my neck straight shaves. In any case neck cleanup was smooth and comfortable. I didn’t notice the blade feel Jeff was talking about in his review on my neck, but did notice it on my head. I have some pronounced ridges and valleys on the back of my head and couldn’t seem to shave the stubble close enough in the troughs. I needed to finish the back of my head with the Shake Sharp. I will confess that slants have been a problem for me on the back of my head. I’ve used a Valencia slant, the RazoRock Wunderbar and their German 37 slants with the same result. Slants and I just don’t get along. I was hoping things might be different, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. I’ll try it again tomorrow with a Feather blade and see how it goes. Thank you Tom for the opportunity to try this razor. Maybe things will be different with a sharper blade. I think I’ll also use a heavier handle.

Jim99, brit, jmudrick and 2 others like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Interesting Jeff. I know exactly the problem you are referring to on those back of the head areas, those are the areas that a number of injectors were fails for me, but go figure the slants not a problem.

Jim99, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  13. jgreenepa

It is funny, Jeff, because I’ve never had an issue with injectors and my dome. I believe I'm nicking myself with the corner of the blade. The razor feels great in hand, but I've owned a Valencia, a Wunderbar, and the German 37. It was always the same issue in the back of A of my dome.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I nicked myself there exclusively with the Fatip slant but Tom's razor has been easier to gauge angle and pressure

jgreenepa likes this.
  15. jgreenepa

I’ll be shaving with it tomorrow with a Feather blade and a heavier handle. I do have neurological issues (mild Parkinson’s), and heavier razors work better for me. I’ll try using a Bulldog handle with it tomorrow.

Jim99 and Droo78 like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Jim99 and jgreenepa like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Had to skip a day to evaluate some Gillette slants. (Not all are created equal).

Second try with Tom's alternative head. Tried Voskhod and it was the usual tuggy mess I have with those blades. Swapped to a feather for the second pass and noticed an immediate improvement in the shave. Still getting irritation and too much stubble left behind. I will try shimming it for tomorrow's shave.
    IMG_1597458144802.JPEG

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Jim99, brit, Droo78 and 1 other person like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    I used mine tonight. No drama 3 pass shave. I really like this razor if I do say so myself. Mind you I am a bit biased. :happy093:

Billyfergie, Jim99, brit and 2 others like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Karl G, Jim99, brit and 3 others like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

All Jeff’s and Jim’s.

Where the hell are all of the Tom’s?

Droo78, Karl G, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.