King C Gillette safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by J_Man, Jul 2, 2020.

1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I came across it on Ebay and was curious as to whether anyone here has tried one yet.

They are going for as low as $15[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The quality according to reviews is pretty good. It has the EJ89 type head, so it should shave the same, mild and efficient.

Hembree, Frijolero, J_Man and 2 others like this.
  3. J_Man

I might order one Idk not too fond of the handle

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. efsk

efsk Active Member

A EJ89 type head, there are some differences. In German drugstores these cost €14.99 so as low as $15 is pretty much what they should be. Long handle, heavy, well finished, shaves as can be expected of a ej89-variation. The blades are ridiculously expensive at €4.99/10.

Hembree, Frijolero, Daywalker and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

glad gillette used a good sound razor head to continue their trend.just like they did in the 1930s..roth/rothbart/7 oclock etc..

6. J_Man

I picked one up while I was out this afternoon. Haven't tried it yet, but the quality is impressive.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. J_Man

Just had my daily shave with the King & I have to say that it really is a great razor.

It provided a smooth shave with the included blades and it is definately more aggressive than the EJ DE89, but still a reasonably mild shaver. Three pass BBS with my usual minor touch up around the chin and no irritation.

I wasn't sure if I would like the handle, but the knurling provided a good firm grip with no slipping and it's a long heavy handle which I do tend to prefer.

All in all it is really a very high quality product as one might expect from Gillette. The finish is absolutely flawless and honestly it is nicer than the Muhle R89 that I just recieved. The handle is made in China, but the head might be German [not sure] made because there was protective paper between the cap & base plate which had both English & German writing on it.

The J_Man gives the King C Gillette a 10/10 rating.

Hembree, DIRVING79, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  8. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

This has actually become one of my favorite razors of late. I'm pretty impressed with the way it shaves and it looks really good as well. Definitely a welcome addition to my collection.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

brit, Hembree, DIRVING79 and 3 others like this.
  9. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I didn't buy the razor but based on positive comments online I purchased some of the blades that are normally sold with it. They are pretty pricey in comparison to some of the more commonly used blades but I have to say this...these blades are knocking my socks off. There is a unique combination of sharpness, smoothness and efficiency that checks all the boxes.

I have been using one in my Rockwell 6S/R4 combo and completed my 7th consecutive daily two pass plus touch-up shave on the same blade this a.m. I'm not one for blade endurance testing (normally it's two or three shaves and out for me) but I do want to see how far this one goes before it conks out.

After each shave I take the blade out, pat it dry between sheets of folded tissue (no wiping), then dry the razor head parts before flipping the blade and putting it back in for the next day's shave. Lather for every shave has been D.R. Harris Marlborough (great soap) applied with an H.L. Thater brush.

I don't know if the King C blades are a unique production run or just a re-labeled blade that is sold under a different name elsewhere in the market but if it's the latter, I'd love to grab a few hundred.

brit, Hembree, Dave in KY and 3 others like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm fairly certain that they are rebranded gillette platinum plus blades. Which are, admittedly, pretty darn good blades.

brit, Hembree and LaneP like this.
  11. John Black

John Black New Member

Those blades are really amazing. I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad someone else thinks that. I've never used the Platinum Plus blades. Only the Platinum. Almost all the Russian Gillette blades are great though.

Hembree, LaneP and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

very cool.have you tried a vintage gillette spoiler blade?

Hembree likes this.
  13. John Black

John Black New Member

Yes I have. I love vintage blades. In fact that's all I used before I switched over to single-edged razors. My favorite is the Wilkinson Chromium Edge blades from the UK. Unbelievable what people are asking for them now. I guess because of the packaging, it has value to collectors. My dad had tons of them when they were 79 cents for a pack of 5. I'm running out of them though, so that'll be the end of that.

14. brit

brit in a box

yes sir ,crazy prices.but those and spoilers,personnas etc are the benchmark of blades.i find the blue tuck gillette platinums to be of similar quality.most of today's barber de blades are one use only in shop so manufacturers work with that..just my opinion..others will rail here but..:)

Edison Carter and LaneP like this.
  15. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

But the KCG are said to be made in Russia(?), while the Platinum Plus are made in Brazil?

Hembree likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Platinum plus are made in Brazil, as far as I know. I haven't seen where the KCG blades are made.

17. brit

brit in a box

i would think the KCG blades are the platinum plus ones from Brazil.easiest ones to access and their most current blade..

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Apparently they are rebranded PPI Gillette Platinums.

brit, Daywalker and Hembree like this.
  19. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Is this the same razor that came out on Amazon last year?

20. J_Man

I believe the razor you are referring to was called the Gillette Heritage which was being sold through Amazon.