Russian shaving cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Joe Nobles, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

I know I haven't posted in a long time, mostly because I haven't done anything new but I have a question. Some of you might remember that I favor products made either in modern Russia or the former Soviet Union, well my supply of Russian shaving cream is running low. I like 3 different ones, Старт (Start), Яблоневый цвет (Apple blossom) & викинг (Viking) the first two I got from a seller on eBay in a sampler that had blades, cream and balm. The last one, викинг, a friend brought back after he visited Moscow.

Do any of you know where I could get more? The guy on eBay doesn't seem to be there any more. It seems that I just end up going in circles searching Google for leads on where to buy these products. The websites listed on the packages only ship within Russia so there we have it I'm putting it out there for you guys, any leads you might know of would be great.

Thanks guys

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The only Russian shave cream I've seen on ebay is KPEM.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

5. Joe Nobles

Okay! Thanks . Hopefully this guy will keep selling. I will continue to look for a retailor that stocks these products, for a more stable relationship.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The apple blossom cream works well, but it smells like diesel fuel to me.

Yehuda D, Ursa and PanChango like this.
  7. Joe Nobles

Well I've not heard that before! I had one from Russia called Wizard and that smelled like mouldy cyprus mulch.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I believe you can find it in the Russian women's section. LOL

BamaT, wristwatchb and Joe Nobles like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I still have a tube of CTAPT around. The Apple Blossom has a synthetic medicanal scent to me. Not a fan.

Most of what I have tried of Russian and Eastern Euro creams, I have liked.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've used Tet-a-tet, which was a Russian mentholated shaving cream. I don't recall any particular negative scent to it.

Edit: Seems to be as difficult to find as the others on the list. *Figaro and Barbon are two Hungarian shaving creams made by Coaola Alfa in Budapest. Those might be easier to find.

I particularly like the fougre scent of Figaro. Barbon, as I recall, is a somewhat similar scent, but mentholated.

*not to be confused with the Italian soap brand.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  11. Joe Nobles

Just out of curiosity is there any American tube shaving cream. I like the results I've gotten from the Russian ones, and figure a domestic one might be useful.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If I remember correctly, Tet-a-Tet was discontinued a few years ago.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Then the shaving world has lost the goopiest shaving cream I've ever used. Since it was a menthol shaving cream, I don't really care much.

I remember someone mentioned that the matching aftershave was considered an alternative source of vodka for Russian alcoholics.

PanChango likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I bought a tube of the SC and ASB when IamJodi (i think?) did a group buy. I liked it well enough for a drug store cream, but not nearly enough to pay a premium for it. Once it was gone, I just moved on to something else.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The ones I'm aware of are Gillette Pure, Cremo, and Burt's Bees. Haven't tried the Gillette or the Cremo, but my brother has nice things to say about Cremo. Cremo and Burt's are brushless creams; Burt's does not lather at all. The Men's Zone brushless cream once sold by Walgreens was light years better than Burt's.

P.S. Shouldn't Soviet Super Shavers be abbreviated as CCC?

16. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Imagine following up your Apple Blossom shave with Lilac Vegetal A/S.

The resulting aroma (?) would probably defy description.

17. Joe Nobles

@Ursa technically ССБ for Советские супер бритвы but most people here don't read Russian so I left it as you see it.

Ursa likes this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

:sick007:

Ursa and myles wilson like this.
  19. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Wet shavers of the world, unite!

myles wilson likes this.
  20. Joe Nobles

I didn't know that shaving cream subscribed to political ideologies. The Russians make some damn good shaving products there is no reason to not use them. Plus much that was made during Soviet times are cool collectibles.

That is why there people that like AK 47s and TT 33s, as well as ФЕД & Зоркий cameras.
    Just sayin'