My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. old-school shaver

old-school shaver Well-Known Member

IMG_1593283111766.jpg 15932875784195706358321701685360.jpg I'm restoring a Rubberset 200-2. I've never restored a brush before and was wondering when you bore out the bristles how deep do you bore the hole? I cut all the bristles off and cleaned out the pocket where the knot was but I'm unsure how deep to go with the hole to put the new knot in. IMG_1593283111766.jpg

9nein9, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use a Dremel to clean out the socket to the point of removing the glue under there knot. I believe that under that you'll find the wooden core (I usually clean it out till I get to the wood). The reason to go this deep is that you need the ability to adjust your depth of the knot. What knot are you planing to install (boar, badger, or synthetic)?

Next restore I do; I'll go through it step by step. I've been restoring brushes over five years and sometimes it's so second nature. that I forget to get people all the details.

BTW the devils in the details.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

Enrico likes this.
  4. old-school shaver

I will probably use a badger knot. This is the first brush restoration I ever attempted.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A rule of thumb is the loft should be approximately 2 times the knot size. For example a 22mm knot should have a loft of about 44mm though I've set them as high as 47mm.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  6. old-school shaver

I need a 24mm knot so if I understand you correctly the bristles should extend out of the handle 48mm according to the rule of thumb.

Enrico and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

It's an approximate rule of thumb ..... I just set a 22mm knot to ~46mm. If stuck hard to the rule it would have been 44mm, but I chose 46mm and feel I could have pushed it to 47 or 48mm.

PM sent.

old-school shaver likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I spoke that I was waiting for a Maggard's SHD fan knot for a KH3 Simpson.

This Key Hole I restored was definitely well loved with an old chip in the base, a few minor hairline cracks and blemishes, but it's has great character.

Before
    IMG_1508.JPG

Removed the knot and gave it a minor drum sanding of the opening for clearance of the Maggard's 22mm SHD fan top knot. I installed it at using three pennies (1968 (BY), 2019 (purchase year) and a 2020 (restoration year)) to give it 16mm depth giving it a loft of ~46mm.

IMG_1796.JPG

After a lather to bloom.

IMG_1797.JPG

Not perfect, but a well loved Simpson KH3 restored back to a wonderful brush.

And as always ..... more to come. :D

:eatdrink047:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. RichA305

RichA305 New Member

New to the Den and very nice work on all restorations. I'm attempting a restoration and was wondering what's the polish recommendation?

Enrico likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Generally I use Turtlewax

images.jpeg

If the scratches are severe I've been known to add barkeeper friend.

:eatdrink047:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. RichA305

RichA305 New Member

I bought Flitz and considered Turtle wax but thought that sounded too easy lol.

Enrico likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've had a few that I thought I'd never get a shine, finally come to shine like a black pearl. Somewhere in the various grades of sand paper, rubbing compounds, sweat and much work; the beauty comes out.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

:eatdrink013:

13. RichA305

RichA305 New Member

I agree and I'll agree more once I start. My thought just never went to turtle wax, much less bar keeper.

Enrico likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

absolutely fabulous Keith..awesome..eveready c40 and eveready 100.both in 2 band badger.. 20200812_105133_edited.jpg

15. brit

brit in a box

awesome Keith @Enrico ..bloomed.. 20200817_230453_edited.jpg

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They look great bloomed! I'm sorry I didn't do a write up on them ...... so here is a brief write up.

The blue and cream an Ever Ready 100 ..... the lettering was thin and faded so lightly cleaned it and polished it, so as to retain the lettering as much as possible. After the original knot was removed, I bored it to accept a 24mm Maggard's 2 banded fan. It was also weighted.

Don't bother looking for a red and black C40 Ever Ready ...... I replaced the top of a standard C40 with the top of a Made Rite 303L. Along with weighting it, I bored it to accept a Maggard's 22mm 2 banded badger.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  17. brit

brit in a box

thank you Keith..that makes the c40 a one off..they are both awesome to use..:)

Enrico likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Worked on three for @jaxstraww

IMG_1840.JPG IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1841.JPG
    They are .....
    1) Gimbels
    2) Williams
    3) Bulldaro

Each are made of catalin which sometimes can be a bit delicate, all worked out well. He sent me the knot that were needed; he wanted synthetics he hadn't tried. The type and sizes respectively are a 20mm Cashmere, a Synbad 22mm and a Silksmoke 24mm. Since they're made of catalin there is no room for weight, but that's ok they really don't need it, just a slight boring and a polish.

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

My favorite is the Gimbels, but they all turned out nice. Unfortunately the Bulldaro lost it's decals in the process, but I think @jimjo1031 could easily whip up a new one and make even the black stripes.

A nice bunch of buttery goodness!

And as always ..... more to come. :D

:eatdrink013:

19. brit

brit in a box

very cool Keith.the #2 williams looks very similar to the red opal brush you built for me..awesome..

Enrico likes this.
  20. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

He did a fantastic job on these brushes. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Enrico, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.