Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Redrock, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good day. Here is the situation. I am 72 going on 73 years old. I have an extensive collection of SE/LE brushes as well as a nice collection of Gillette vintage razors. No one in my family has any interest in my shaving gear. My desire is to dispose of my gear to interested folks. I seek no profit. I simply want to dispose of the gear. Recommendations?

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I would personally not be opposed to you making a profit on your investment. You can certainly post razors on this site and recoup at least some, if not all, of your funds. You can also do one or many PIFs, and specify if the winner pays shipping, if you don't want to recoup your investment. Either way, I would personally love to see pictures. I don't collect, I am pragmatic and save money with these razors, but they also lead me down memory lane, when I watched both my father and granddads use a safety razor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

You could also take a select few items and create a time capsule for grand children or great grandchildren.

PIFs already mentioned.

4. lightcs1776

Awesome idea. I treasure the things I have from my grandparents, even the items that have no resale value.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ed, we are the same age, and I am thinking the same thing. I will be watching the recommendations.

6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

My grandfather (mother’s side) was a wet shaver. Wish some of his gear would have survived the family feud aftermath. I was still in college at the time. Pretty sure he was a Gillette razor and ToBS or Proraso fan, cause those two aromas really remind me of Sunday mornings when I’d get to stay at their house. I also remember seeing the tucks of blades in his little area of the cabinet.

7. lightcs1776

I had very little from my grandfather on my dad's side, so. I absolutely understand I would have treasured just one of my Grandad's guns, which he used to feed his family. I do have a small deer mount that reminds me of him every time I see it.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Don’t underestimate the sentimental value your family will have for your items. While I have no interest in having a microscope I kept my father’s microscope. He used from he started practicing as a doctor and I remember seeing it in his office when I was young. An emotionally important connection to him now that he is gone.

9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

If you’re not seeking profit you can always PIF the items on your favorite shaving forum.

The Shave Den also has raffles a couple of times a year to raise money using donated items so that would be an opportunity.

If you have favorite charities you could “sell” your items to persons who make minimum donations to same.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been pondering this same question. If the time comes, I think my wife ought to hold a forum raffle with my shaving stuff. Limit it to forum members with at least 6 months tenure. Put the proceeds towards funeral expenses. That way I know my stuff is going to people who will remember me when they use it, kind of like with Bob's razor works stuff.

brit likes this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I would sell them to some of the individuals here, as you can see there are many interested in the items you have.
    Then if there are any left over, piff them to someone who would like to have such an item.
    IF you give them away, that would be very nice of you, but you need to create value for them.
    It's been my experience that someone who will pay close to market value will be more likely
    to cherish or keep care of what they buy.
    Free is great, but you have valuable items and they need to be treated as such to keep out those who
    just want to make a quick buck and disappointing you.
    tp

brit likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My plan is to create a spread sheet for my son, documenting inventory and estimated value. It'll be up to him to dispose of the collection and give my wife the funds.
    I plan on shaving until I croak.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Paul Turner, Terry, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

my wife will get in touch here and pass mine on to folks interested..the majority of folks i know who like gillettes and share my enthusiasm are here.. :).

Terry likes this.
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have been considering the PIF. I have a bunch of restored brushes. It will cost me a lot to pay shipping for each PIF. Is it okay to ask the recipient to cover or help cover the shipping cost? I have at least $15.00 (often more) in each restore. I am not in this for profit. Just want to find the brushes a home. It will be CONUS only. Thanks much.............

Primotenore likes this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Sure.
    Free brush plus shipping.

Terry likes this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Personally, I have no problem with asking the recipient to cover the entire shipping cost.

brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe if you have a favorite charity or two, you can set up links for nominal donations and, in return, the donors get the pick an item, or it's randomized. A good cause is served and your shaving gear goes to people who respect it, and you. Everyone ends up happy.

brit likes this.