Want to try new soap but not break the bank.....

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by "Knothead" Tim, Aug 26, 2020.

1. I am in the midst of wanting to try new soaps (not creams), but see that I can easily spend more that I thought (or that I'd tell the wife about). Please be aware that I am not looking for anything free, as I am not destitute, but would like to see if there are any members that maybe have tried a soap, not liked it enough to use twice, and it is sitting in their collection gathering dust. I would like to purchase some of these at a reasonable cost so that I may be able to try different ones without killing my bankbook.
    I see many reviews of soaps on here, but I don't really have enough knowledge to interpret some of the comments. To me, if it smells great as a lather and lets my Fatboy smoothly, efficiently glide while shaving is my guideline.
    This thread may or may not open floodgates, due to a lot of shavers that are in the above category, so I will put down what I am fond of.
    Love the smell of Sandalwood. The Bay Rum I just received falls into the above category. Don't particularly care for that one. I would like to try something that has an aroma of:
    Vanilla
    Musk
    Lavender
    Other Sandalwoods
    Coconut
    Exotic smells I cant't think of.

I am not looking for each of the above, but can go with 2 or 3 depending on cost.
    If I don't get any responses, that's OK. But if I do, I would like to thank you in advance for doing so.
    "Knothead" Tim

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I don't have any spare soaps at the moment but I want to share how I tried several inexpensively when I first got into wet shaving.
    Check out vendors like Maggard Razors and/or West Coast Shaving and look at their sampler offerings .

"Knothead" Tim, brit and Primotenore like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't have spare soaps in the scent categories you listed, but I can suggest a few that are inexpensive.

Sandalwood - Proraso Red
    Lavender/Vanilla/Bergamot - Mitchell's Wool Fat

The trifecta of Lavender/Vanilla/Bergamot is considered the quintessential "Barbershop" scent, and most 'barbershop' scented soaps will have at least two of those three fragrances.

And as a suggestion when funds allow:

Fern (fougre) - Felce Aromatica by Saponifico Verisino
    Russian Leather - Cologne Russe by Barrister & Mann

"Knothead" Tim likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Stirling Soap and Phoenix Shaving have samples.
    These two companies seem to have good products.

tp

5. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Tim, if you’re interested I’m happy to scoop some penny samples of a few things and send to you. Easy way to try a few things to see if a full tub would be of interest (and easy to send in a regular envelope)

6. That would be fantastic. I'll gladly pay you for them and the shipping. Just let me know how much. PM me and we'll make the arrangements. Thanks,
    Tim

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Nah don’t sweat it, it’s easy to pop several in an envelope for the cost of a stamp... I’ll ping you some options tomorrow based on the scent profiles you mentioned.