August 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jul 31, 2020.

?

How are you going to make AUgust your gold medal month?

1. I am going to choose only the gear that gives me my best shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I am going to experiment with different gear to discover my gold medal shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I am going to use any gear I want, because I can get a gold medal shave from anything.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. I am actually allergic to gold, so I am going to go for platinum medal shaves.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I am going to use Gold Medal flour and bake cookies, which have been noticeably absent recently.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Superb shave lineup, Jim! That really is a great looking brush.

brit, clint64, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Clint for your great summary post. I really like my Supply and would jump at the chance for a $49 version in any color! They are remarkable razors. I shave with the three dot plate! The Schick Prolines are great blades. Have you tried the Supply with a Schick Twinjector blade. I've found that to be excellent as well. Just a great dome shaver!

3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Stunning B&W picture, Clint! Great looking gear and terrific EOM shave wrap up as usual! :happy088:

brit, jgreenepa, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Andrew!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit, jgreenepa, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  5. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Very nice Clint! Love the image and recap.

jgreenepa, brit, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I like the simplicity of the B&W pic. Your shave was excellent as usual. Have a good day Clint!

jgreenepa, brit, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Fine shave this morning. Stoylin Sandpiper showed its true colors, as it always does. 0:30 at the "loading dock"to prepare the Jayaruh for action. As usual, the first pass was on the slippery side but it picked up good soap at the end. A cutless Knickless pass. Second pass picked up where the first left off, but I did get a (New York K)nick at NW Porcupine Alley. It was gone at the end of the shave&cold water rinse. Cactus Nation good as usual. Strong(but not TOO strong)dose of Sandpiper A.S...including the forehead. It is indeed Stoylin September(well, begins tomorrow of course)therefore I'll be sure to get in on the action. Watch for me to use the Unscented A.S. frequently, to "match" my newly concoted soap samples, as I can't find a scented A.S. to match with them. Anyway, pleased with the shave.....Super Duper Excellent.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, Trigger and jluc like this.
  9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

:cool:

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Wonderful photo, James.

jgreenepa, brit, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Joseph!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Terrific conclusion to a month of superlative shaves, Clint!

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 3 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I meant to apologize to Knick fans, but you've already said you like the reference to your NBA team. :).

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 2 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Fantastic wrap up, Clint! Thanks for the kinds words, my friend. It's good to be back among friends.

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 3 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Fantastic shave, Joe!

Being a teacher is a very high calling. Thank you for your many years of service, and congrats on your final year! I pray it is a safe one for you, your fellow teachers and staff, your students, and all the families.

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jeff. I have not tried the Twin blades yet. I have tried all the plates and decided the two dot plate was the best combination of efficiency and smoothness for me.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, brit and 4 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    AUgust Focus
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Williams~~Rooney~~RR Game Changer/Feather~~Aqua Velva
    Decided to finish off the month with my just-concocted vintage Willams.
    You can read about the process on this thread:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-vintage-williams-project.45842/

The resulting lather was outstanding and the 4g of menthol was just enough to give the soap a nice punch.
    [​IMG]
    What always astounds me is the post-shave from this soap.
    I am not exaggerating when I tell you that it is EVERY bit a good as any soap in my den,
    and...better than 90% of them. Mos def©
    The GC with the day-2 Feather blade was efficient, but a tad harsh on the neck.
    Lost the angle and did a bit of scraping. User error.
    Finished the shave with another old-time favorite: Aqua Velva.
    Twenty-three skidoo!

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew. Happy Monday I think.

brit, jluc, Droo78 and 1 other person like this.
  19. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

5F413CEB-B5D7-4299-A074-974B1B9BDC05.jpeg
    SOTD MONDAY MORNING, AUGUST 31, 2020

I’ll also launch Single Edge September a day early! Thanks to the largesse of my son, Ben, and several safety razor for straight razor exchanges, I now possess more straight razors than I ever expected to own. The roughest looking is this Tanifuji Airi which also happens to possess a simply divine, buttery-smooth blade. Yeah, Joes (@Trigger & @JACarbone), I think I finally get it! This Japanese Silver Steel blade really holds an edge. Ben has taught me the benefits of burnishing the edge prior and after shaving. My little jasper hone and this well-used Tanifuji make beautiful music together, and the three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) result speaks for itself, another very comfortable VBBS mug shave.

The dome shave was every bit as good. Colonial Razor builds one heck of a blade holder. I own both their Silversmith and General V2. For today’s shave, I swapped out the General handle for the Silversmith. Kyle Evans, the designer with his twin, Kirk, points to Colonial silverware embellishment as one of his design cues for this Silversmith handle which replaced the original. Although a bit tea-pot looking the knurling and weight in combination with the General head feel great in hand.

The freshly palm-stropped Feather Super obliterated the 48 hrs of noggin growth right down to the skin line in its usual effortless fashion. The Rearden Razor synth brush did a great job whipping up the two different MWF lathers I enjoy for my morning shave . I shave with DEs, Injectors, Gems, and AC razors, and can obtain a VBBS with all, but must admit that easiest and most enjoyable for me (YMMV) arrival in VBBS land has always been through my AC razors. I am refreshed, cool, clean and AC-smoothed velveteen.

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi (Mug), Colonial General V2 with Silversmith handle (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather Super AC
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
    BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Synthetic
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

b1hart, JACarbone, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Blair.

jluc, brit and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.