DE-Vette Pass-a-round thread...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, May 23, 2020.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

It might have been your fault.......?
    :D
    Didn't I read a post where you shimmed a blade?

Well......... having that in the back of my mind, I launched out in action, and without thought, reason, or common sense I just threw 2 in. Like I said...... Stooooopid move. I promise not to do it any more.

The only place I recall the use of 2 blades was in a Shake-Sharp razor.

PLANofMAN, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Yup. :) And proud of it.

GAW9576 and Droo78 like this.
  3. Edison Carter

DE-Vette shaves 4&5

I got inexplicably busy in the last week so I'm a bit late on my progress reporting with the DE-Vette.

Not a whole lot to report other than shaves continued to improve as my experience on an unguarded DE progressed. My final shave was the best and I became quite comfortable using it.

Feather on (3)
    20200814_110023-1.jpeg

#5 & final
    Back to GSB on (5)
    20200814_110612-1.jpeg

While it was my original thought that 'riding the cap' technique was going to be king here, it turned out to be more like most other open blade shaving where you feel the edge on stretched skin at minimal angles.

Closing comments and thoughts.
    Here are a few tools I'll reference.
    20200814_111812-1.jpg
    Right center is our pass around tool. Some refinements could make this tool better for me to use.

On the far right is an all aluminum shavette (Focus R28 Slim Al) I use with recessed blade and corner guards. It's design does employ a 'ride the cap' type style at about 23 degrees if I remember correctly. The DE-Vette shaves nicely at a similar angle, but you're on blade feel alone. I like this tool.

On the far left is a pivoting head safety razor (Focus Dynamic R48 1/2 DE) derived from its shavette cousin. It is a very mild shaver that delivers irritation free top level results if you; load it right, use the right pressure to engage the mechanism correctly, make enough passes. All due to a guard and cap geometry requiring that you 'ride the cap & the bar'. I like this tool.

Left center is the very popular EJ DE89. Using a 'ride the cap' technique has always required some 'buffing' for me to get nice shaves. I've found it the most difficult of the pictured tools to get a top shave. I used it as a follow up shave confirming the same. I'll be doing some 30DC focus work with that tool. This tool has not been a fave and currently gets little use.

I close very satisfied with the experience and insight that I have gained in this exercise. A special thanks to Joseph @Primotenore for the inspiration & to Tom @twhite for making this possible.

The tool is in route to the next tester.

Best Regards,
    Bill

ischiapp, Droo78, GAW9576 and 3 others like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

ischiapp, Jim99, GAW9576 and 4 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

Tom's De-Vette Razor
    Astra SP Blade
    Surrey Boar Brush
    Victory Shaving Lemon-Lavender-Menthol Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Lavender
    Murray & Lanman Florida Water

This was my first shave with the DE-Vette and I used a mild blade for it. I will be using a different blade for each shave and will give a better review when I'm done with the razor. but I will say this, two passes, WTG & ATG, was enough for a very good shave.

Untitled.jpg

Jim99, Primotenore, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  6. jimjo1031

Tom's De-Vette Razor
    Wilkinson Sword Blade
    Frank Shaving Badger Brush
    Love My Skin Hawaiian Sandalwood Soap
    Avon Tai Winds After Shave

Untitled.jpg

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m interested in your results. I tried 4 different blades in it and found Personna to be the best for me. Two passes was all I needed, but YMMV.

8. jimjo1031

I plan on using two more blades, if I have enough time. And two passes have been all I needed, so far.

9. jimjo1031

Tom's De-Vette Razor
    Bic Chrome Platinum Blade
    Surrey Boar Shave Brush
    Proraso Green/Love My Skin Spearmint Soap
    Gillette After Shave Gel

Untitled.jpg

GAW9576, Jim99, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  10. jimjo1031

Tom's De-Vette Razor Review

Since a lot has already been said about this razor, I won't be re-hashing them. For my first shave I decided to try one of my mildest blades, the Astra SP. Since this was my first shave with it, I expected to make some mistakes. But I did read other people's first shave with it and learned a lot. I was able to find the correct angle within a couple of strokes. I was actually surprised that I had a good amount of blade feel, and after two passes, I was left with a few areas that needed more attention, but it was good enough.
    My second shave was with a Wilkinson Sword blade, and I also went with two passes. This shave was actually smoother than the one with the Astra blade. It left me with much less areas that I normally would've touched up than my first shave. I ended up with a pretty good DFS, not too far from a BBS shave.
    Now my third shave with it today, I went with one of my favorite blades, the Bic Chrome Platinum. I didn't have time to shave the past four days, and I wanted to see what one pass would do. Because with a longer beard, my shaves can be pretty damn good. After one pass, I got the same result as my second shave, a really good DFS. One thing, at least for me, this razor is damn good at trimming sideburns and under my goatee, nice clean lines. You just have to be careful as the angle is much different than a regular pass.
    As with all shaves, I needed to take baby strokes, as longer ones would cause me minor irritation. And I think this is very important to also avoid nicks. As with the construction of the razor, Tom made a hell of a good one with tight tolerances.

GAW9576, Droo78, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice and coherent write-up, Jim.

GAW9576, Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

So I'm guessing @SharptoothC is getting the razor next. Please send me a pm with your address, thanks.

GAW9576 and SharptoothC like this.
  13. jimjo1031

Thank you.

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..

GAW9576 and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

GAW9576 likes this.
  16. Edison Carter

Nice write up.

After using, it did make sense as to why 'men of old' would have cut guard bars off. And no shave forums then.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Excellent write-up!

18. jimjo1031

Thanks. I actually see one every so often from European countries.

GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  19. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim.

GAW9576 likes this.
  20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The DE-Vette has landed safely. Report coming tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk