Beehive trouble

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have a small storage box on my deck, where I keep the Dura-flame logs for the patio fireplace. I’ve had it for years, without a problem. For some reason, this year, a colony of bees has made it theirs.

We opened it up overnight, when they were dormant, hoping today’s pouring rains will kill them off. If that doesn’t work, I welcome any suggestions.

Terry, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

At night time sprinkle some 7Dust on the hive. They will have to walk or Fly thru it and will carry it into the Hive.
    I have done it Successfully. May take a week or so.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Droo78 likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What is 7Dust?

cliffb599 likes this.
  4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have used Sevin. Make sure you go in after dark. Wish there was a way to relocate rather than exterminate...

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Don't kill them! Contact your local ag center and ask about beekeepers in your area. The beekeepers will be glad to come out and rescue them

BTW, this would be what's called a swarm and they are usually pretty gentle and, if left alone, won't cause a problem till they can be rescued

7. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Sevin Dust reminds me of my childhood. My Great Grandfather used it on everything outside in the yard and garden.
    He used one of the pump sprayers like this:
    [​IMG]

cliffb599 and brit like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You might try putting a couple pots of marigolds or chrysanthemums near them. They supposedly don't like the smell. And if I remember correctly one of the chemicals in one of them is used in natural bug killer.

brit and cliffb599 like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

wasps or hornets -fry em..bees-try and save them..:)

steve207, Enrico and cliffb599 like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don’t have any potted marigolds and it’s kind of hard to find beekeepers in NYC. BTW, what I’ve got are yellow jackets.

brit, Enrico, cliffb599 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    They need to go Buh-Bye.

brit and Sara-s like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Sevin powder is your best bet. Wait until they’re fast asleep and sprinkle liberally at the hive entrance. They’ll track it in and they’ll be dead in a few days.

brit and Sara-s like this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Yellow jackets? If you are sure, nuke those (^(&*&!

brit likes this.
  14. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

If they are honey bees, I would treat them well and perhaps you will end up with some honey comb. If anything else, dust them or spray them with a potent killer. I have successfully used Spectracide Pro on hornets. I absolutely hate yellow jackets and hornets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Yellow jackets ....... Kill them dead!

We use a shopvac with a flash lite duct taped to the end of the rigid extension section and waited till dark to suck them all up sprayed a little bug spray in the hose to top them off.

BTW clean the shopvac (including hose) in a day or two or it'll smell like rotting hamburger.

:eatdrink013:

lightcs1776, brit and cliffb599 like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

If they are wasps, honets, or yellow jackets, be careful. I normally take them out work two cans of wasps spray.
    Very early in the morning, when the sun is just coming up is when I do it.

Take the cans of spray cans on in each hand and spray the first one into the nest, from afar. As you get closer spray the second one into the nest.
    You don't need to be to close, say 7 or 8 feet is the closets you need to get.
    Use gogles, old clothes and other protective clothing and gear.
    By the afternoon all will be dead.
    Use dish soap and water to clean up the spray residue.

That's how I get rid of the nasty things.
    I have kids that go to the hospital if stung, so I show no mercy.

tp

Enrico and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

yellow jackets.=
    X15-Featured-Image.jpg there are a few wasp nest products on the market plus some mentioned already..:)

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

That was me last season with a nest of ground hornets. Actually, I may have used enough spray to contaminate the groundwater for the rest of the season. But that's just a rumor.

cliffb599, brit and Enrico like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

:D

cliffb599 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Totally thought this would be a hairdo question.

brit and cliffb599 like this.