Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Seemingly No 52a (aluminum? anniversary?) sets were Anniversary sets while No 52 had no specific name. As seemingly the No 52 was still available in 1955 (or even 1962 in Germany), I guess the only difference is the case (dispenser behind or under the razor).
    The interesting part is that aluminum razors in No 54 sets are not that uncommon.

So in theory:
    No 52a: Anniversary with anodised or plain aluminum razor, dispenser in back of the case
    No 52: Same case as 52a, razor is brass or part aluminum?
    No 54: Rocket set with part aluminum or brass razor, dispenser in bottom of the case
    No 54a: Rocket set with "Parat" type razor, smaller case than the 54
    No 52: Same case as 52a, razor is a "Parat"
    No 55: Yellow No 54 type case, "Monobloc" razor

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    brit likes this.
  2. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

This thread was how I originally found this website, looking for info on my daily driver (a thrift store patent-pending rocket HD), nice to see new info being posted still

brit likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is my take on the aluminum razors and no54 sets. It could be possible they sold the sets with an aluminum razor but no solid proof outside of I seen one with a no 54 Rocket case for sale or bought one with the case. Solid proof would be to show an advert that either says the razor is light weight like the No52a ad I posted for a no 54 or a price sheet showing the no 54 set priced with multiple prices which would imply either different plating or material of razor or amount of blades offered in the set.

brit likes this.
  4. romsitsa

"Lightweight", afaik, was only used in 1953. These were Anniversary and No 66 sets. As there are several iterations of part brass, part aluminum thick handle "Rockets" (all except door assembly, only handle, handle an knob) it's pretty hard to tell, imho, what was "lightweight".
    On the other hand, I never met a "lightweight" No 58, No 24 or Aristocrat Jr. ad, which exist.

brit likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You can for sure with a distributor price sheet. They always priced the razors differently when they formally offered the razor in a set in different materials or plating. If that doesn't exist then we are back to either they only did them for the 52a anniversary sets or they mixed in left over parts in the early run of no 54 sets in 1954. It is still an open question at the moment.

brit likes this.
  6. romsitsa

I think all (mostly) aluminum razors were drawn back pretty fast (as they rot together) and spares were used up later.

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

weren't most 1953 #58"lightweights" coronation sets? at least in England..

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The No 58 set and razor was commisioned specifically for the Queen's coronation in 53. That razor doesn't exist prior. All coronation sets regardless of razor were not solid brass razors, they were either aluminum or aluminum with some brass parts and only sold in 53 far as I know. The non coronation set was issued later in 53 and was the one sold from 53 - 60.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

thats what i thought.there was a tech and aristocat in the coronation series as well as the #58..

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The actual introduction of the no 54 Rocket set is late 53 not 1954 as I originally stated.

This ad is dated to Sept. of 1953
    C 1953 Rocket HD England.jpg

The same razor in the 52a set is still being sold in Feb of 1953 so sometime between Feb. and Sept. the anniversary set was discontinued and replaced with the No 54 Rocket set.
    g1953ad.jpg

brit likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Correct only 3 sets were commisioned for the coronation and all the coronation sets had a crown on the case to differentiate them from the other standard sets.

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

and as far as i know ,England only,not the commonwealth countries..:)

13. brit

brit in a box

1965 k-4 brit made canadian market flare tip rocket type..slim head ,very efficient smooth shaver..
    [​IMG]

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beauty Gary.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

thank you Douglas..:)

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

ust arrived.k-4 1965 brit slim head 1 piece..no patent #inside blade tray like the "s" stamped ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    ajc347 likes this.
  17. romsitsa

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  18. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

EEK!

I've just come back to this thread after a couple of years and all the original pics are gone :(

This was SUCH a resource - what has happened to them? Are they saved somewhere?

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  19. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing the story back to life, this was such a good thread and sad to see historical data gone. I was here about 2 years ago and you could still enjoy the photos because they are so important to the history. Something strange happened with the server? This thread has had close to 250,000 views of people wanting to learn about their Gillette rocket razors!