Comprehensive guide to the Gillette Aristocrat Junior razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, May 12, 2016.

1. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

One more for our Club.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Aristocrat Jr Gold (72g)

PLANofMAN, tonich and brit like this.
  2. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, the No 51 and 53 were nickel plated, silver was not used after ww2. That Australian No 58 ad is most likely a single mistake, caused by the model change in that year. This is the only ad, even in Australian newspapers, calling it an Aristocrat jr. all others call it "one piece razor".

Adam

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

here is another Ryan..check out the date,lower corner.. b11c4f4aef95f92ffd187e3d412634e3_edited.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    PLANofMAN and José Santos like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

there may be others..

5. José Santos

Some weeks ago I got some blade banks in xmas package, I have to share a picture when I arrive home. Inside they have these Gillette blue blades.

brit likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes as you already know there is another Skywalker.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

notice the near one year difference between the 2 australian christmas ads..they maybe aristocrat jr's in australia only..
    Qa1ZGxj.jpg djYL1rn.jpg b11c4f4aef95f92ffd187e3d412634e3_edited.jpg
    b11c4f4aef95f92ffd187e3d412634e3_edited_edited.jpg

José Santos likes this.
  8. José Santos

Sorry for the off topic

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  9. romsitsa

1954. November (Australia), someone didn't get the memo and reused the ad.
    54_nov.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  10. romsitsa

Christmas of 1953 in Australia is the only season. In 1954 quick action and Aristocrat Jr. co-existed, then the later vanished. So a No 58 marketed in 1953 in Australia, can be an A. Jr.

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And 55 and not just for Christmas this ad is for Father's day. Looks like 56 onward the razor is just referred to as a one piece in the Australian market so 53 - 55 the No 58 set razor was officially an Aristocrat Jr razor in the Australian market.

1955 - still an Aristocrat Jr
    aj1955ad1.jpg The_Age_Wed__Aug_31__1955_rs.jpg

1956 - now a quick action razor
    aj1956ad.jpg The_Sydney_Morning_Herald_Tue__Nov_27__1956_rs.jpg

brit likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To follow up on the No 58 set and sometimes Aristocrat Jr razor, by 1960 it was referred to as just a one piece razor in the Australian market. This is also the last year I found it still being offered for sale.
    1960no8ad.jpg The_Age_Wed__Nov_23__1960_rs.jpg

Interesting aside as can be seen in the ad the British Super Speed sets were No 68 sets regardless of the light, medium or heavy style of razor.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    brit likes this.
  13. romsitsa

I see your point, but with all due respect, don't accept it.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You don't have to but I doubt they ran a 3 year typo in the ads.

brit likes this.
  15. romsitsa

Technically 53 is the only year when the No 58 is a Jr. Later it's Jr or quick action. Whats the point of using two names for the same razor. And all of this only in Australia, where no TTO-s were made.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

yes ,but 4th gen aristocrats were nickel plated and not called aristocrats as well.flat plate regular rockets were only aristocrat jrs in england..there is controversy everywhere.:).seems a safe bet to call stuff as it is where it's from..the non looped cased pat pending razor #58 sets are aristocrat. jrs.this is what i just scored from Australia..my other set has a looped case and a brit patent # on the blade tray,and came from England.rockets are canadian..

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one more to stir the crap pot. We got another previously unknown Aristocrat Jr. courtesy of the Germans.
    1953 price list Germany.jpg

They call the 52a razor aka the one people like refer to as an LD Rocket since that would be the light weight aluminum one an Aristocrat Jr.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

lol awesome..:D..

19. brit

brit in a box

canada got u.s aristocrats in the late 40s,not english ones..:D

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is proof the British Super Speed sets were also sold in England. Also the known production dates are 1958 - 1960. That ad being quoted showing the 1960 date.

g1959ad.jpg

That no 68 set can only be referring to the British Super Speeds now that we know what set number they were sold as.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    brit likes this.