This must be the elusive, one-of-a-kind Blue Tip...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, Sep 4, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is like they say on American Pickers what is the you don't want to sell it price but you priced to it to shut up your children or other half who is nagging you to get rid of your stuff so you can say see I was willing to sell it but no one wanted to buy it.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm a firm believer in the Gillette Fatboy. It is still my razor of choice when I dont use a straight razor. I bought several of them, years ago, for $10-$20 and tucked them away. Now they are going for $60-$85, for those in good shape.

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Karl G, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

:D

Karl G likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Karl G, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

you should..:D

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is another value priced razor. You think they would offer free shipping at that price.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gi...835119?hash=item469274be2f:g:BkEAAOSw07lbhnrX

My favorite line.

"...Please Look at my Ebay Store for Other Exciting Shaving and Personal Grooming Collectibles that are more reasonably priced! Sold As-Is, no returns accepted....."

That is what they would call an admission of guilt.

Ijustmissedthe50s, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

couldn't fathom paying anything close to that,it's just a gold fatboy with some fancy slim knurling..but i guess there are those out there that would..:)..

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

There's a current auction is which what appears to me to be a basic NEW LC with a tin box included that has garnered 12 bids and sits at $305. I see no date codes and the handle does not appear cracked. The included tin box is in horrible shape and to me doesnt seem original to the razor. I am NOT being facetious here or anything. I truly am trying to learn and remember specifics about razors and their rarity or details about them. Not even from a value or subjective value standpoint. My real question is...what is this razor and what makes it so special that to some it may have a high monetary value?

Edit: I'm actually asking a question here...is there something special or unusual about this razor? I'm not as familiar with details as a lot of you gents.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    brit and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Chris, quite honestly the way I look at it is some people with deep pocket (or they think they have) are willing to pay money (I find ridiculous) for things that will sit on their self till they die.

Then it will go to the trash or thrift store.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  12. Ijustmissedthe50s

I certainly agree. If you possibly took a look at the razor, is it a rare or unusual item?

brit and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I’d say yes.

It’s the tin that it came in that makes it rare.

:eatdrink013:

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's definitely the original box that's driving this auction. It's probably an ultra-rare item. I have never seen one before.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  15. Ijustmissedthe50s

Aha...now I get it. Thanks for the schooling, gentleman.

Enrico and brit like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

More like the Type F has already been fatboy'd. Until some people starting hyping them up on the forums you could almost never find one for sale and when you did they weren't going for $100+ until the first person tested the waters post hype (probably the same person chuming the water for the sharks by hyping it up before offloading their's). Now 2 to 3 of them show up for sale a month when it used to be 2 to 3 a year. It might even hit the $250 mark with the right buyer, I've seen a few break the $200 barrier since the prices shot up.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

they are quite rare i guess..the brit razors go for silly prices these days too..:)

20. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Just found a black handle Super Speed being sold by itself for $75!!! I paid $16 for a birth year black handle Super Speed from my birth year (1985) and about $20 for one from the late 60’s with the case. I find it extremely ridiculous the prices vintage Gillettes are going for. I mean come on! The black handle SS was made for over 20 years before being discontinued; there’s millions of them out there! 24913169-114F-4800-9AE0-1F00D64BB779.jpeg

Enrico and brit like this.