What's you're experience with Gillette Sputnik Teflon Coated blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I actually found them to be quite similar to the Gillette silver-blue blades.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

At first long ago on my second tour of wet shaving, it didn't seem to shave nice, felt tugging. I put the rest away and much later on tried one again. It actually shaved pretty good and smooth.

3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t bloody bother with that old bullshitter old time stropper/sharpener, just flip the bloody blade over after every 2nd or 3rd shave, keep pushing the blade edge as far as you can get to the maximum shave per blade.

Make sure you’re lather is nice and slick throughout your whole shave, otherwise, you’ll may not be able to achieve your maximum shaves per blade.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Somebody woke up on their avatar's side of the bed today. I could make it easy on myself, and just not use the bloody blades. Which is why I still have so many of the bloody things.

And I'm not quite sure which "bullshitter" stopper you thought I was going to use. I recently received a Stag sharpener that I'm eager to test, though it was clearly designed to take SE, wedge and the thick three hole blades of the era, and loading a thin modern DE blade is not easy. It uses any barber's hone or strop. The Stanford 5 second sharpener is more of a sharpening steel, and might work for getting the teflon off, but it doesn't do modern stainless blades any favors. Again, designed for three hole blades.

Or I could use a shake sharp razor. The design has been proven to work with both vintage carbon and modern stainless blades, it was designed for the modern "butterfly" DE blade designs, and has the benefit of being regarded as a decent shaver as well. While the diamond impregnated hone does very little to modern stainless blades, it ought to clear away the coating quite easily.

5. SpeedyPC

Just flip the blade over during per shave which ever comfortable as possible, not per pass, otherwise, stop bloody whinging and wasting your time over a bullshitter old time stropper/sharpener and have an extra thick baby pork chop.

[​IMG]

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't know... The baby looks a wee bit undercooked.

ksmith56 and SpeedyPC like this.
  7. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

I'll describe them in one word: dull

8. SpeedyPC

Are you telling us that you’ve been a bloody dole-bludger during the pandemic.