The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Beautiful addition to your collection. Well done. :happy088::happy088:

esvh, jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:thanks:..Scott..:eatdrink047:

Billy..:chores016:

jgreenepa, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:eek: :smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect: :eatdrink047:

In homage I will use my Dorko blade tomorrow.

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My new Riga razor just arrived. 1/4 hollow 7/8. It’s made from Tungsten Steel. Does that mean stainless? Sorry for the ignorant question, but I’m still new at this.
    3AE9B838-2124-4D1B-A8BE-50E27FCD37BA.jpeg

battle.munky, esvh, ischiapp and 6 others like this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

That is gorgeous Jeff! And that scale finish looks like a mirror. :eatdrink047:

Karl G, jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  6. jgreenepa

Thanks, Tom! Is Tungsten steel stainless? Sorry for the ignorant question, but I am new at this.

brit, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's not stainless. B ut, Very hard, and holds a good edge.

brit, Karl G, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Nice! My Riga razors take the sharpest edges and hold them a long time. The only other razors in my den with similar edge hold capabilities are my Mike Martinez and Filarmonica.

esvh, brit, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  9. jgreenepa

Here’s a better shot of the new Riga Razor. I really can’t wait to shave with it.

1C06E7B6-4BA3-4931-9762-248C27AAE5E3.jpeg

Keithmax, esvh, DaltonGang and 6 others like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Maybe more than you’d ever want to know (and more than I can understand) but here’s the lowdown on the steel used in the Riga Razor. This is from some eBay messages I traded with Sergej:

Hello Karl ,

The second razor is honed already , it's sharp enought , but not overhoned , i believe .

I can't compare the Bohler R100 steel blade with some vintage razor , for me it's better than " Silver steel ". In my opinin , of course .
    The bohler R100 steel is 100Cr6 steel , or 52100 in US classification .

If to compare with " Silver steel " - I made composite analysis of Friedr Herder ABR.SOHN straigt rasor - the " Silver steel " is 100Cr2 steel .
    The difference in Chromium content only , in " Silver steel " is 0,5 % of Chromium , in Bohler R100 - 1,5% of Chromium .
    I believe that the Bohler R100 steel is better , than classic " Silver steel " , because the addition of Chromium helps to reduce the carbide size. Smaller carbides means better toughness and resistance to fracture . For example - the 52100 ( same steel as 100Cr6 or Bohler R100 ) is known for its very small carbide size and high density of carbides, even when compared to other carbon and alloy steels .

Best Regards .
    Sergej .

Keithmax, esvh, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I picked up this little beauty off eBay as a target of opportunity, no one wanted it at $26 and the ivory scales are lovely and wide enough for an 11/16-6/8 if I wanted to do a swap sometime. It’s an Albert Stille Stockholm, and Albert Stille is a manufacturer of surgical instruments founded in 1841 and is stille (sorry, couldn’t resist) in business today. Hard steel, light wear, 5/8 width, was maybe an 11/16 at one time. Based on the stamps and lack of a ‘Sweden’ stamp, I’d guess made between 1876 and 1891. No doubt made by a major Eskilstuna maker, I’m working on the identity.

Sold as shave ready - yeah right. And it was, pretty much. I can and now have done better with it, but it did shave and not badly at all.

E8410C28-7E3B-4AA1-BE2B-1FCE25E1CB96.jpeg

12. jgreenepa

Thanks, Karl! That's great information. Keith (@Keithmax) said the only razors with comparably hard steel blades are his Mike Martinez and Filarmonica. I appreciate this information. I really can't wait to shave with it. Unfortunately, can't do so until the current 30DC focus is complete in five more days.

Keithmax, esvh, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

Beautiful pickup Steve. Cool scales and blade, with a name I don’t see often.

14. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this Wade & Butcher online for $25 plus shipping, actually I got this, a Boker and a Norvell-Shapleigh. I've never heard of the last one, if anyone has any experience with that company please let me know. I'm most excited about the W&B I want to get it restored because I've heard nothing but good things about them. Any W&B aficionados out there??

Keithmax, jgreenepa, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  15. Jake Gibson

16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Here is a Thread on Norvell-Shapleigh Cutlery Company..They were Well Known in their Day it Would Seem..;)
    https://sharprazorpalace.com/show-tell/118109-shapleigh-hardware-diamond-edge-de-17-a.html

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, jgreenepa, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  17. Jake Gibson

jgreenepa, TestDepth, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  18. TestDepth

Very nice Wade & Butcher... looks like it will make a smooth shaver. And for a great price! :eatdrink047:
    Tom

19. jgreenepa

I really like vintage safety razors which make up the bulk of my collection. I’ve been on the lookout for a cast steel straight razor in decent condition, came across this one from a seller Ben, my son has bought from before on the Bay. I slowed it to my son, who said it looked good. So I put in a lowball bid and won it. What are your thoughts?
    D0440072-E9EC-4AA2-9D76-18003C0E724D.jpeg E218BC7C-9813-4435-A59F-B55B4160B7E8.jpeg ED66260B-3CC7-4B28-98FF-DA78B92CEC65.jpeg D9AB0E62-092B-49AD-8D0C-7E8EA6939FB6.jpeg

Keithmax, battle.munky, esvh and 6 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

cool razor Jeff.nice score..:cool:

Jake Gibson, esvh, TestDepth and 3 others like this.