Adjustable Handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Aug 21, 2020.

1. brit

brit in a box

a routine clean and a dab of vaseline on the treads should keep it in order..

Karl G, GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It’s a little off topic, but is that a Lancaster bomber I see, Gary?

Karl G, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s a simple solution for when the time comes, or even before.

4. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,my grandad maintained and flew them during the war..:)

Karl G, GAW9576, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Wow! Very cool and noble!

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I attached my Phoenix Shaving SE open comb to the TAH this morning. I always felt that this razor was too light for me, but attaching the SE head onto the TAH took care of that issue. I feel that the razor cut through my stubble easier due to the additional weight. Also, I don’t think I mentioned it enough yet, but the grip I get with this handle is great.

I’m going to use the TAH one last time tomorrow and then it will be headed to @Karl G . This has been fun!

7D44CAEE-D93C-4414-9D9D-35F5132FF891.jpeg

PLANofMAN, Droo78, twhite and 4 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jim..:cool:

Karl G, Jim99 and GAW9576 like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Today was my last shave with Tom’s adjustable handle (TAH), and I opted to try it out with the Game Changer 84P head. As usual, the shave was outstanding and maybe then some. I adjusted the handle so it was a bit longer than RazoRock HD handle I normally use with that head. The TAH gave the Game Changer a proper balance and improved the control over the setup. It was a great shave from start to finish! Tom, you did a fantastic job! Thanks for the opportunity.

If you have a razor that you like, but you feel the handle is holding it back some, then this handle is for you. If handle length is an issue for you, then the TAH can be your answer!

@Karl G , it’s headed your way. Enjoy!

B433EB6D-C4AF-4CD6-9BA9-F750EB7790E4.jpeg

PLANofMAN, ischiapp, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Here’s an update to the pass around list.

1) @Jim99 - Done
    2) @Karl G - In Transit
    3) @GAW9576 - waiting
    4)

Don’t be shy, sign up already.

Karl G, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought the 1914 Ever-Ready is one of the finest shaving SEs out there but that handle is so small. I have an extra user grade one that jumped right out at me. Perfect choice for testing out how a different handle can make a difference. So, I decided to use if for my first test of the TAH - Tom’s Adjustable Handle. Here’s some pics comparing the weight and length:
    E540E94F-7512-45F0-A91F-90FB8C3D8972.jpeg

96A4476F-1725-48F9-843F-7A2CF3217E89.jpeg
    6E0DC7D3-F5C4-43DC-B6D0-02811C7F284D.jpeg
    I decided to put it at the shortest length but before shaving with it I tried holding it at different lengths. This is a very solid handle and well made. However, at some point the length allows a little play and is probably going to be counter-productive. But, this would be a very long handle at that point since you can see it’s a decent length even at it’s shortest.

Anyhow, I did the first pass on the right side with the traditional handle. Wow, I forgot how much I like the 1914. I then used the adaptor screw to attach the TAH for the left side. Wow and wow - even better. In fact, it was so good I forgot to try adjusting the length. It was as good as it gets. I think the added heft was part of that happy result and I know @twhite is working on a handle with adjustable weight so you can bet I’ll sign up for that should/when it sees the light of day. :happy088:

At this point I can only think of two suggestions - one, for purely aesthetic reasons make a version in stainless steel to match most of the older SEs out there. The other would be to include extra adaptor screws. I can see where I would want to have the heads pre-loaded with an adaptor screw to quickly accept a TAH. That would simplify things in the den for sure.

Net net, this is a very nice accessory and I can see how a lot of shavers would really appreciate it. I joined the pass-around mostly out of curiosity but now I’m sold on the utility! :happy036:

Happy shaving - Karl

Jim99, brit, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  11. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Quick update on my end. Depending on how long @Karl G has the handle I may be on vacation when he is done with it. Right now no one is in line behind me so it may not be a problem. If someone jumps in before he ships it out we may want to switch me later in the pass around.

Enrico, Karl G and twhite like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you like the handle, but feel it is too short, I recommend using a durham duplex handle with an adapter screw. It will keep the same look, but have extra length. It's solid brass, too, so it has some heft.
    [​IMG]
    It was also used on the few Wade & Butcher branded DE razors made. Those tend to command a premium.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    GAW9576, brit, twhite and 2 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

are they both W.&B or early or late durham?

Karl G and GAW9576 like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

We’ll keep an eye on the calendar.

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Who else wants to join up for the pass-around? It’s a good opportunity to try out a great handle.

:bounce015:

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I’l have the TAH ready to ship by Thursday. GAW9576 will be leaving for vacation so the next lucky person to sign up gets to skip ahead in line. Don’t wait :)

Jim99 and GAW9576 like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Karl, we’ll give it till tomorrow to decide what to do. We might have another member sign up. It’s a great handle that is certainly worth trying out.

Come on , guys! Time is running out on this once in a lifetime offer, so act now!

:cool:

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Today’s trial with the TAH was a fine Damaskeene that gets underused. It provided a most wonderful smooth shave that was deceptively mild in feel. Heaven... :love055: Oh yeah, the adjustable handle. Fortunately this time I remembered to try lengthening it and quickly found that my first instinct was right. I extended it out a quarter inch or so and found that length to be just right - about 3.25” total. That’s a good .75” longer than the standard Damaskeene handle. For whatever reason it just made the handle comfortable and something that no longer stood out or distracted from the shave - it just disappeared into the background.

There was, however, a little drama. As was seen in my experience with the Wabbit, I’m not particularly adept when it comes to small objects and I ended up chasing an adaptor screw down the sink drain. Yikes :shocked003: It’s a good thing that I have a little more time with Tom’s Adjustable Handle - hopefully I can lean on Tom’s goodwill and have some replacement ones sent so I can forward it on with all parts ready when the time comes. Please, pretty please :pri:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Barrister’s Reserve Waves
    GEM Damaskeene
    GEM Stainless Steel PTFE (2)
    Fergiebilly shim
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

F4AE9870-A68D-4A56-AC31-DD77CBC773CF.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

GAW9576, Jim99 and brit like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Hahahaha ol’ fumble fingers is at it. Jim actually has the bungs. So I believe you are sending it back to him. So no worries.

GAW9576, Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Karl, I have a couple more of the adapters, so no worries. I hope you didn’t take the sink apart yet.

:p

GAW9576, Karl G and twhite like this.