Things I've Learned From This Forum

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jayjacque, Sep 26, 2020.

1. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

Only been wet shaving a couple years so don't laugh. But here's a few things I learned right from you guys:
    1. Matching up the after shave with the shave soap enhances the whole experience (pretty basic I know, but I'm just admitting I didn't know that til I read about it here and other forums a few years ago)
    2. 2nd pass of the shave should go in a different direction than the first pass (again basic, but something I wouldn't have known til I read about it right here)
    3. When using high quality soaps, you can spread on the face what's left over in the brush after the shave, for after shave healing qualities (that one blew my mind - now find myself doing it almost every time)
    4. Keeping the lid off the soap for an hour or more to dry out after shaving will help keep it from going bad (don't know exactly which kinds of soaps this is more important than others, but I'm trying to do it with all of them now to be safe)

If you want to add to my learning list, share/throw it out there.

BigD, canoeroller, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

All good points, although on number 4, and specific to MWF, it has its own micro-climate, so keep it covered.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You have some good basic knowledge and you like to learn like myself.
    Everyone has their methods of prep and applying shaving products so you should get a lot of folks chiming in.
    I think the best thing for any newbie learning traditional wet shaving or any form of razor shaving is understanding your beard grain direction. You will enjoy your shave more and should get less irritation with better results. No one seems to mention this very often so I will emphasize it. I will leave a beard map for folks who want to learn some thing new..............................print one off! FullSizeRender.jpg
    I like to use a lather bowl 95% of the time for all my soaps and this protects the source soap in its pristine condition all time because you are not adding water to mother source and it works, a little slower possibly but its more enjoyable for myself. Lots of folks load off the puck with no issues and hard soaps are the best for this IMO. Some fellows like to face lather from stick soap also, I have tried that and it works also but not as enjoyable experience for myself. Nice thing about a lather bowl is when you get a nice scented soap I will leave the suds in for day and evening to fragrance my bathroom, cheapest and best air freshener, so do not always flush the suds down the drain.
    Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I learned how to shave correctly.
    Not to do the things, I was doing so wrong, for so long.
    To many things to list here.
    Bad habits are sometimes hard to break.

tp

brit, Ron R, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

for me,learned proper technique with gillette de razors after using carts for 35+ years .improved brush lathering skills as well. fabulous shaves..:)

6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Learned that experimenting with products, blades, razors, soaps, etc. Can make the difference between a great shave and a disaster. If the razor/blade combo (say for instance a Tiger Blade with any razor) does not work well then no amount of technique can help.

We all learn as we go and most of us still make mistakes from time to time.

Plus there are some wonderful people involved with this hobby that are willing to help and give advice and not look down at the gear one uses. We are all different and prefer different soaps, blades, razors, etc. And Not all fourms are created equal as far as being friendly and wanting to help the noobs.

BamaT, brit, Ron R and 3 others like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you have sensitive skin, or think you have sensitive skin (a subtle difference), multiple passes with the grain can be as effective, and less irritating, than a single against the grain pass.
    True. This is one of the more "comfortable" forums. A warm welcome for anyone not trying to stir up :kngt:

BamaT, brit, SHAVEWIZARD420 and 7 others like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Skin stretching.

9. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I learned that if you are prone to any sort of acquisition disorder (soap is mine) that these forums will only add fuel to that fire!

SHAVEWIZARD420, BamaT, Sara-s and 7 others like this.
  10. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

And I eventually learned that once you hit that sweet spot in gear and technique, to remember it and stop experimenting 90% of the time. Switch from 90/10 to 10/90.

11. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

Trade you your soap disorder for my SS razor disorder.
    Actually I found a couple razors I like so much I may be cured,... until the next time.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

5. Shaving isn't rocket science, there's just people with a pathological urge to overcomplicate simple things.

13. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Some great wisdom in this thread haha.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.