The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I like the shoulderless design and the fancy scales. Hope it cleans up nice.

Keithmax, esvh, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Me too! I was thinking of sending it to Glen! Just wondering whether it’s worth it. With my tremors I’m hesitant about trying to clean up the razor myself.

Karl G, esvh, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  3. jgreenepa

Thanks, Gary!

esvh, Karl G, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Wick's Special
    Sole bidder on this Barber Supply beauty.
    Very minty with a coppery patina.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, brit, Steve56 and 8 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Congrats! It looks to be a cousin of the straight I inherited from my Grandfather. It’s a great razor. I had it honed by @gssixgun some time ago and it is one of my favorites. I hope yours is the same :happy093:

EDIT: Scott @DaltonGang recently picked up one very similar as well - waiting to see yours and his make the SOTD :)

Nielsen’s Never Fail 5-8 AOS MNSBS SM AOS.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    battle.munky, Keithmax, brit and 6 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ahhh, the Winova.

7. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Leresche is known for it's frameback straight razors. But there are also leresche coupe choux évide.

This is a 'Radieux'.

It has a lot of patina, but no rust. I will not sand it down. Just a clean and polish. I want to keep the text.

[​IMG]

battle.munky, Keithmax, brit and 7 others like this.
  8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Opportunities seem to be presenting themselves... another W&B FBU.

17/16” with what appeared to be an intact edge. Seller’s photo:
    37ACAC12-FFB6-491B-8FBD-23D3F3CF4493.jpeg
    Some hone wear near the toe, but a very nice example. Took 20 minutes with Flitz and steel wool to see what I have.
    9D5B8285-5253-44BB-858E-EEE66D803B7F.jpeg
    The scales are just what I like... solid and preserves its history, so leaning towards just some more steel wool elbow grease. I’m not sure if I will hit the hone wear with some sanding yet. Overall, very pleased.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Rodgers 7/8 ‘Refined Steel’, interesting acquisition. First, note the scales and the box (the box is very pretty BTW) Both appear to be cut by machine tools. The scales are closed at the bottom making it difficult to adjust the blade tension, and although they are no where near original, They are made quite well, as is the box.

The seller described it as sharpened to shave ready, but there was no spine wear and the bevel was very steep and looked like around 1k grit scratch pattern. I’m guessing that he sharpened it with a knife sharpening tool of some kind.

But it is a lovely unrestored blade, that surprisingly has not been abused by the seller, no rust erasers, no buff job, and no ham-handed effort at patina/pitting removal. It’s prime beef for restoration.

AC56BD85-8843-4181-9A20-2BB2CEEC349D.jpeg

10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Beautiful NOS Factory Fresh Dorko Solingen 7/8th Arriving from Germany..Got Dorko Fever at the Moment.Had My Name Written All Over it..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

11. jgreenepa

Just acquired! On its way to me! Looking forward to shaving with it! Can’t wait to get it on the stones!
    5FA49A56-30E9-4AB8-8C8C-C22382877ED3.jpeg 3D508BB3-E3DD-4CF1-B197-2CD7BD2FF3D8.jpeg 096F7BFB-FB9F-447C-A433-D8C3E4CEACC9.jpeg

12. jgreenepa

Great score, Tom!

esvh, Karl G, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  13. jgreenepa

Now that’s almost too pretty to shave with! Great score, Billy!

ischiapp, esvh, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s a beauty Billy!

esvh, Karl G, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

brit, esvh, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff! And beautiful C-Mon you found.

17. jgreenepa

Found this in a local antique store under a rusted Pearl Duck with a cracked blade and other assorted old barbering supplies from the estate of a recently deceased local barber. Guy cut my hair for thirty years before I started shaving my head. Had been out of touch. It's a Frederick Reynolds with bovine horn scales. Got it for $10. The marking on the tang is Rex Victoria which tells me it was manufactured during her reign (1837 - 1901). The blade was wavy as all get-out and needed a bevel set. I probably should have sent it out, but after spending the entire afternoon, I was able to achieve a bevel set which did extend throughout the length of the blade, although the width of the bevel on the inner part of the wave near the heel was nowhere near as wide as the other side. It’s popping hairs along the length of the blade. Went from a DMT coarse plate to remove many old chips along the blades edge. Then a Synthetic progression 1000-6000-10000-12000 to the ILR and finished on the Jasper stone. My son worked with me on the bevel set. I guess I find out tomorrow how it’ll shave. I’m hopefully optimistic, but will send it out to Glen if the shave fails tomorrow. The picture is the before shot. You can see some of the chipping.
    EF538219-4B59-40C8-ABFB-4501F1C614F8.jpeg
    After bevel set and some basic cleanup
    A498344B-FD42-4F83-AE54-4BB3EB173735.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I can’t see the stamp, but ‘Rex’ is ‘king’ in Latin, ‘Regina’ is ‘queen’. So I hope that the stamp is ‘V crown R’, which is ‘Queen Victoria’.

And a beautiful razor, congrats!

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

schwing...:D

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  20. jgreenepa

Thanks, Steve, the stamp is RV. I'll be shaving with it tomorrow.