October 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Will you be focusing on an Open Comb razor?

1. Absolutely, I have them all shined up and ready for shaving.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I will mix it up, closed and open comb razors.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I haven't used a comb for many years.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am a straight razor shaver, you open comb shavers don't know what you're missing.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I use an open comb razor, will I finally get some cookies?

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Hey Jeff, I wasn't suggesting an FH day this OCtober (out of focus, technically as it itsn't an OC), I was just bugging/enabling/instigating with @b1hart by suggesting one when he said that the MonoBilt was the only vintage DE razor he still wanted to get...

clint64, Hembree, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  2. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent shave Jim. How do you like that brush?

clint64, Hembree, FaceScraper and 4 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Daniel..:cool:

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I appreciate hearing that, Jim. I've been looking at those and the Wolverine 1000 mile boots. I also looked at some of the non-work boots like Thursday Boots, Alden, Allen Edmonds, and even some of the handmade boots like Nicks. I need to find something for my wide feet, and I'd like to get a non-slip sole. I don't mind a break-in period...as long as they finally get comfortable. I assume your Iron Rangers see a lot of snow, ice, and cold weather. Are they warm enough, and do they provide good traction?

Droo78, clint64, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

fabulous shave and pic Joseph..very cool..:cool:

Primotenore, clint64, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

Yes, that is JR # 394. Bolivian Rosewood handle w/Cross medallion in base, inlaid Celtic Cross, and 26 mm Maggard's SHD two-band fan knot.

JACarbone, Droo78, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

fabulous fat friday shave and pic Clint..good morning..:cool:..the MWF will get there in its way..

clint64, Hembree, FaceScraper and 3 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Joe!

I like the brush a lot. I have all the PAA brushes and I enjoy them all. The Amber Aerolite is the latest addition and hasn't made it into the rotation yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JACarbone, Droo78, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

OCtober 2nd
    Canadian New Deluxe w PermaSharp
    Omega Pro/Resin
    Jeeves Apothecary SS
    Thayers
    CL Bon Vivant AS
    IMG_5564.jpg
    Another fine shave with the New Deluxe. 3 nice passes resulted in almost complete smoothness and no irritation. Love the Jeeves lather- still probably my favourite artisan 'soft soap' (not 3x milled) lather. Inspired by @JACarbone to pull out the Bon Vivant. It will be missed when it is gone.
    Have a great day all!

10. wristwatchb

1.jpg 2.jpg

JACarbone, Droo78, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Congrats, Danny.
    It looks very powerful.
    [​IMG]

Droo78, clint64, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

Excellent travel shave, Andrew. Hope you had a good visit with Mom and Step Dad. Praying today he is improving. Safe travels home.

13. wristwatchb

You're just tempting to post another cartoon. ;)

Droo78, jtspartan, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  14. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:happy108::happy108::happy108:

15. wristwatchb

Thanks Jeff. I hope you are well. Things are 110% good here. In my stack of packages I picked up from the PO this morning, I have one from some guy named Evan.. Once my heart stops racing, I'll open the box! I also have a package from a place called Fine Shaving...decided it was time to restock Plantium and L'Orange Noir aftershaves. I also picked up a couple of balms for my brother-in-law. I'm slowly leading him toward the rabbit hole.

All my errands are done, we've been out enjoying the sunshine, and my sister is coming over for a porch visit this afternoon. Got my shave in and will post shortly.

Have a great day in Philly, Jeff.

JACarbone, Droo78, MrEE and 8 others like this.
  16. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

751C1F68-EADB-4138-A49C-4B9C0814366F.jpeg
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 2, 2020

My Monster Tuxedo Synthetic arrived yesterday from the MrEE Brush Research Design Works, and I love it! It’s my second from that elite facility and it truly lives up to its name! It generated monstrous swathes of rich, slick lather from the recently replaced tub of Baume.Be shave cream. The original was a hardened orange paste that resisted lather building. but the replacement featured a pale yellow cream that generated a very respectable slick, rich lather. I’ll have to go easy with this new brush; it’s probably the best lather builder in my limited brush rotation.

My mug shave featured one of my favorite straights, the Dubl Duck Goldedge. It performed in its usual exemplary fashion delivering an extremely close three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) velveteen shave. My dome shave was also excellent with one of my favorite Gillette New models, the New Standard. The shave was a really luxurious two pass (ATG, ATG) that delivered that same exquisite velveteen result as the DD Goldedge did for my mug. I feel refreshed, smooth, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Dubl Duck Goldedge (Mug), 1928 Gillette New Standard (Dome)
    BLADE: Polsilver (2)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE Monster Tuxedo Synthetic
    CREAM: Baume.be
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Royal Lyme AS/Cologne.

JACarbone, Droo78, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  17. jtspartan

Yesterday I thought it was Blueberry soap, Pierpaolo, but is that the brand instead? Is it a grape/rum scent instead? Very original software for over here, regardless. Love that frankenrazor and the Astra SP is an oft-underappreciated quality blade.

18. jtspartan

You mentioned enjoying the software yesterday, Joe, but I was wondering what you thought of the Starling? Such an original looking razor, but one that seems to have a variety of opinions on it.

JACarbone, clint64, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I've been wearing Red Wing boots since the early 90's, they have all required a good amount of break-in. The Iron Rangers are no different. Once broken in they're awesome. Not everyone's cup of tea though. No hi-tech cushy insoles, just a leather footbed that'll conform to the shape of your feet with time. Traction is just ok, not great. Warm enough to wear all winter long but not a good choice for extended periods out in the cold.

I have a couple of pairs of Thursday Boots. They're dressier than the Iron Rangers so they don't see as much use. Very nice boots but not quite at the quality of the American made Red Wings. The price does reflect that though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Droo78, clint64, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

Yeah, same here. :p

clint64, Hembree, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.