October 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Will you be focusing on an Open Comb razor?

1. Absolutely, I have them all shined up and ready for shaving.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I will mix it up, closed and open comb razors.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I haven't used a comb for many years.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am a straight razor shaver, you open comb shavers don't know what you're missing.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I use an open comb razor, will I finally get some cookies?

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Marvelous photo and shave lineup, Jim!

Trigger, clint64, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Angelo,cool red ring..:cool:

Trigger, clint64, Angelo85 and 2 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Gary!
    Good morning..

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Trigger, clint64, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That is a very good question, Jeff. That depends on what is available to you.
    First, a little background is probably necessary. The terms Canadian Whisky and Rye Whisky are interchangeable here, and are in fact legal terms. To be called such, the Whisky must contain at least 10% Rye grain, be sold at at least 40% alcohol per volume, casked in Canada in wooden barrels and aged for at least 3 years. It does not, however, have to be bottled here. It is casked at 180-190 proof and then sent wherever. You can buy Canadian Whiskies that are labelled as such but bottled in the US and diluted with whatever the bottler decides to use to get it down to 40% or so. A lot of the different flavours come from what it was casked in, as historically recycled barrels were often used- bourbon barrels, etc. There isn’t multi grain mashes, per se, but rather are ‘blended’ after aging. As such, there are many brands here that will alter the finished blend %s between rye/ corn/ wheats for different flavours (plus all the usual flavour adds).
    We are in a golden age of Canadian Whisky for a simple economic reason. In the 80s and 90s, other spirits like vodka became more popular and many large Canadian distillers simply had their casks sit and age further as they weren’t selling as much. They have lots of very long casked Barrels to sell. Many big brands here have 7 year Whiskies that are just ok, but 15-18 yr Whiskies that are outstanding. Many are rebranded with historical brands, others are sold to Craft Distillers who make their own blends from buying these well aged barrels. There are far too many of those small distillers to list.
    So, when you go a specialty store to see what they’ve got, avoid anything that says Imported on the bottle, as it will be bottled and altered by the US bottler. Look for something that has been aged for at least 7 years, but a 10-18 yr aging is better. Some big brands that I suspect you might have there are Forty Creek Barrell Reserve, Lot 40, Pikes and Gooderham&Worts. Well known brands such as Wisers, Crown Royal and Gibsons are really just mixing spirits for hi balls here, but their 15-18 yr aged Whiskies are all good. A reputable dealer/store should be able to articulate all of this to you.
    You do get what you pay for, generally. Cheap plonk like Canadian Club, Black Velvet, etc, is best left for Clubman to use for splashes...

dvdhviid, Keithmax, JACarbone and 9 others like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great Old Spice Auto Strop shave! It’s funny how our razors grab our attention if we lose our focus. I’ve had the same experience with my Valets. I sold my A and B models. I have five of the 6 C models, but expect I’ll be selling my VC1, VC2, and VC3 in my upcoming den reduction.

Keithmax, jtspartan, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  6. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Stellar shave lineup, Evan! Gorgeous razor.

Trigger, clint64, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    OCtober Focus
    [​IMG]
    D.R. Harris Marlborough~~Simpson D3~~RazoRock GC .84 OC/Wizamet SI
    Well, since my soon-to-arrive OC hasn't, I went with the Game Changer.
    Shave three with the Wizamet and still going strong.
    The DRH sample had...ZERO...scent. ZERO, Nada, null, nothing, zip, zilch.
    Tossed the remainder.
    HOWEVER, the cream, itself was amazing. Uber-slick.
    ATG neck shave and here's something I never thought I would say.
    I got more success riding the bar with the ATG pass than I normally get riding the cap.
    Who'd have thunk?
    Finished with another Old Spice
    relative, Burley.

8. brit

brit in a box

awesome valet shave and pic Andrew..glad you made it home safe..:cool:

9. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Great shave lineup, Angelo!

Trigger, clint64, Angelo85 and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Joseph..love that brush handle color..:cool:

Trigger, Primotenore, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Andrew!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Trigger, clint64, Droo78 and 2 others like this.
  12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks much for the Canadian Whisky education, Jason. Here in the Quaker State we have a State Store system that’s quite limited, but Delaware is just around the corner. Thanks for the info! I really enjoy aged whiskeys and have a healthy Single Malt and Bourbon collection. I’ll definitely check out your recommendations! Thanks again!

dvdhviid, Keithmax, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome..:happy097:..wiser's deluxe made for good boilermakers back in the day..:D

Keithmax, Trigger, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

You, Andrew, and I would pass the Piggly Wiggly test. @Trigger should just stick to straight shaving and chemistry. Please pass me a couple 'o cans of VYE-EENA's, a sleeve of crackers, and a cold Coke. :D

Keithmax, MrDaniel's, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  15. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jeff! This is a comfortable razor to use, but I do have to watch the speed of the passes to avoid mishaps.
    I have been watching for an A1 and A2 in good shape to buy, but they don't show up as often.

Keithmax, Trigger, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Scotches and Bourbons are popular here as well, Jeff. Although there are more high end Scotches available here than Bourbons, I think. Brands like Bulleit, Knob Creek, Makers Mark etc are readily available.

dvdhviid, Keithmax, JACarbone and 6 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

saturday shave
    sheraton
    platinum
    semogue
    extro
    pinaud special reserve
    [​IMG]
    good morning gents,fine shave today with the senator's golden twin brother the sheraton.fabulous extro vanilla lather built by the SOC boar.bbs in 2+ smooth passes.decanted clubman special reserve to finish..awesome..have a fine saturday everyone..:cool:

18. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Marvelous shave lineup, Joseph! I really like the razor base.
    DRH Marlborough is a great scent and I enjoy using the hard soap puck.

Trigger, Primotenore, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  19. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Gary!

Trigger, clint64, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the bottle of hot sauce. :happy088:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.