The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Labeled Escher Thuringian Stone..They Go for Crazy Money in the USA..The Label is in Crap Nick..But the Escher Cup Can be Seen. I Am Not a Collector of Mint Labels..Only Good Stones..It Went for a Decent Buy it Now Price Job that was Just Listed..If it Looks Near My Own Escher that Pumps Out a 16 K + Edge I Will Be Surprised But Hey Ya Never Know..:D

Miracles Happen..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    My Newly Required Labeled Escher Branded Thuringian Stone Arrived this Morning..I Lapped it to 1000 Grit..Its as Smooth as My Surgical Black Arkansas Stone Goimg by the Feel of it..Its an Exceptionally Fine Stone thats Been Intended for Honing Razors for Sure..:D

Its a Sort of Grey/Green in Shade with Purple Grains (Multiple Shades) that the Photo Doesn't Quite Show..I Chamfered the Edges..Its a Small Stone Just Over a 1/2 Inch Thick & Just Over an Inch Wide..Without Any Use by the Looks of it..Never Came Across a Thuringian as Fine to the Touch as this One...;)

My Own Escher Thuri has a Finishing Capacity of 17 K..Easy.Not as Fine to the Touch as this One Here..It Will All Come Out in the Washing when I Put it to the Test..I will be Using it Purely as a Finisher..Putting Down a 16 K Synthetic Edge..My Own Stone Picks Up a 16 K Synthetic Edge & Improves it..Hopefully this Wee Stone will Perform as Good if Not Better..Who Knows..The One thing for Sure is that a Good Escher is a High Grit Finisher..No Bones about it..:)

Hard to Find Em Mind..A Lot of Thuringians are Just Unimpressive at Best & Crap Hones to be Blunt about it.. Not Mine..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Karl, thank you for sharing the info.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Seven Engstroms, not sure if they’re engraved with the days, but the price was right and the steel is in good condition. The scales on a couple are going to need some TLC though.I’ve always been partial to Swedish and French framebacks, so these are a nice score for me. They can be a royal pain to hone though, if the steel is super hard.

8B110FAD-D297-4948-ABF9-DD0E93193319.jpeg 2F029E4F-630A-49FF-AC9E-E1FB75398939.jpeg 9334632E-6621-4972-B3B6-7BB6EF1805AB.jpeg

MelC, battle.munky, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Very cool in so many ways, including the pouch :happy088:

Congrats!

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Beautiful set, Steve!

TestDepth, Billyfergie and esvh like this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Absolutely, you’re welcome - I think it says a lot about his love of his craft, his knowledge, and his willing transparency. :happy088:

8. jgreenepa

Look what turned up today! A C-Mon Special with a gold washed tang. It’s in pretty good nick. A few very minor chips in the blade easily taken care of! Honed right up and ready for tomorrow morning’s shave! The only issue is the tip not centering between base pins. Need to adjust the blade centering. I could just send it off to Glen, but would anyone have any quick fix suggestions that a ham-handed clod like me might try?

E0EAA24A-FAE8-41F1-8D89-EDB8ECB6BCD1.jpeg

9. brit

brit in a box

that's a beauty Jeff,nice score..:cool:

Karl G, Billyfergie, esvh and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I love CMON blades.

Billyfergie and jgreenepa like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Thanks! Any thoughts on quick fixes for blade centering issues?

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Jeff, if you want to try some minor peening you can “push” the tip by tapping the front of the pin on the opposite side you want the tip to go and/or tap the back side of the pin on the side you want to “pull” the tip towards.

I saved this picture a while back. Sorry that I can’t give credit to the creator.
    0DE0C78E-DFAE-47E2-AF3F-42735D030351.png
    A small ball peen hammer or even a tablespoon could work.
    Tom

13. jgreenepa

Thanks a lot, Tom; I’ll give that a try after my shave tomorrow!

Jeff

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  14. TestDepth

Steve, the etchings on those Engstroms are incredible... they look like they rolled right out of the shop. I just don’t see that many with the blade face that well preserved - great find. :eatdrink047:

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Are the scales warped? Is the blade loose?
    If the scales are not warped, and the blade is slightly loose, then the @TestDepth peening method should work. Soometimes the pin is bent, and it just needs a new pin. Lots of variables.

16. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Picture of the seller.

The dorko has to be cleaned. The middle one does look like a Herder (Dutch cutlery shops often sold Solingen razors with their name on the tang). The top one has the name Kretz on the box.

I'm fond of shoulderless razor so I'm happy.
    [​IMG]

17. TestDepth

The shoulderless design really is a beautiful look... congratulations on the purchases! :eatdrink047:
    Tom

esvh, battle.munky, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I’m waiting on a Dovo Bismarck 2 with the white pearlex scales. I’ll post up pics when I get off the road and actually see it myself.

esvh, Karl G, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

Not sure what the odds are for this one...

I acquired a Mastro Livi in July and it came off the bay from an antique dealer. Had the box and razor but no Certificate of Origin. No big deal, but the cert is a cool part of documenting the build.

Fast forward a month and I come across a listing for a 7 day Sheffield set and a Mastro Livi Certificate of Origin. I was interested in the razors so I clicked the listing, which had an older style, folded Livi certificate (pics from listing).
    383DC20A-3FB7-4835-87F3-535B24460751.jpeg
    Didn’t think too much of it, as the razors were gorgeous. Then towards the end, I see this picture:
    8960110E-2659-4D0B-989F-B1DB42C77174.jpeg
    Hey, I know that razor!!! :)

Different seller than who I purchased the razor from, but in the same state. I asked if they would separate the auction, as I actually own the razor, and would love to have the C of O. We talked a little about the value of the 7 day - very nice people. They then removed it from the listing and just sent me the certificate.

So here they are, reunited.
    CE1F41D9-8434-4D0A-B22E-3FBD9B935A28.jpeg
    Talking about luck... this seems pretty crazy to me. I’ll take it.
    40F668BE-6250-4AA1-9064-C31DB4D2B87D.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

Jake Gibson, Keithmax, esvh and 4 others like this.
  20. TestDepth

Buck Knives 039 Salient

Released back in 2017 as part of a 3 piece “Legacy” collection, it was the one straight razor option along side the 2 Legacy knives.
    28D0E090-E51F-45E8-AA7B-CBD96B44CA52.jpeg
    I remember this coming out, and there was mixed reaction as to whether Buck could produce a quality razor. They did a nice job with the presentation, as you got the box, a cloth sheath, a certificate & the razor.
    19DEAD0A-37E0-4F1D-B8C8-D269AA4DC3CF.jpeg
    It was a limited edition run of 250 numbered pieces communicated at the time. I think this run was all a pretty unique carbon fiber scale option, but I have also seen wood and currently there is a G10 option, but that doesn’t seem to be part of the initial run.
    F44ED899-C9B4-4460-9C46-7D1A148CB2D3.jpeg
    I really like the “ CNC contoured” carbon fiber. The tip was controversial, as the sweep backwards throws off the aesthetics for me, but it is different.. and it is growing on me.

The wedge end is also unique, and the grind looks like a 1/4 hollow.
    798E0FA9-FAC2-4BBB-A36F-4BE00D69D686.jpeg
    The price was pretty high initially - in the $250-300 range, but I am sure there were deals to be had.
    42392192-D316-4369-9675-2F630FAB677D.jpeg
    I couldn’t pass up the deal for this razor, so 025/250 has been added to the collection. :)
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

Jake Gibson, Keithmax, esvh and 6 others like this.