The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

Steve56, jgreenepa, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

The stars seemed to be aligned for me on this one. Thank you Billy. :eatdrink047:

3. brit

brit in a box

awesome Tom,cool razor..:cool:

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Some guy is selling a bunch of them on Ebay, at $89.
    How does yours shave?? Is it worth the money??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Knive...3d680ec55a:g:-lIAAOSw~Q9bFpTM&redirect=mobile

5. TestDepth

I researched that before I purchased this one. They look like a legit Buck retailer, but I couldn’t tell if the G10 version was part of the initial numbered run. Here is the seller’s website, and I can’t see a number on the back side pic: https://copperandclad.com/product/b...or-by-caleb-cooper-matte-black-g10-exclusive/

Haven’t shaved yet, but mine was 1/2 that price. It was worth it for me, even if only for the scales. Can’t say I would have pulled the trigger at $90.
    Tom

Steve56, jgreenepa, esvh and 3 others like this.
  6. TestDepth

Thanks Gary.

jgreenepa, esvh, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. TestDepth

This shape with the swooping thumbnotch, heel point and hollow grind, all wrapped up in a hardware store razor... fun to acquire.

Shapleigh Hardware Diamond King No. 7
    90FCD078-5E32-4C44-A19E-9352E97D5BBA.jpeg
    Funny thing was the box and the card are what pushed me over the top.
    620F1267-F0D1-4EAB-8E83-66F2CF9D72E5.jpeg
    Cool longways opening for the box (don’t remember seeing this much) and the card does give quite the selling points... Black Diamond Steel. :)

And the spine has a pretty cool design also. All around cool hardware store blade.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool Tom,nice score..:cool:..there seems to be no end to cool straight sets..

jgreenepa, esvh, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  9. TestDepth

Thank you Gary. I do enjoy seeing all the various styles of razors and accessories in this thread.

10. TestDepth

Figured I’d double back after honing and shaving. Take this for what it is worth - just one guy’s experience with razor 25 of a limited production razor.

Not knowing it’s history, but knowing it wouldn’t shave arm hair after stropping, I took it to a couple of Coticules. They advertised a 14 degree bevel angle and the spine does look thin. You can probably see in the pics a wavy line where the spine would contact the hone, which gives a resulting uneven width bevel. I decided 2 layers of tape would adjust for that and get me into the sweet spot for bevel angle.

It also had a slight frown to hone around, or correct if you so desire. I had read others say the same, but it was very slight on this one. I killed the edge a few times, and my Coticules allow me to easily come on and off the hone to hit the entire edge.

All those negatives being said, I really enjoyed the honing and the shave tonight. It is well balanced and the look is growing on me. Now would I spend $90... actually yeah, if you can deal with the geometry and you like the looks. I liken it to an early Portland Razor Company blade and maybe a early Hart.

My two cents. :)
    Tom

jgreenepa, Keithmax, esvh and 4 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

As some of you know, I sent an early Cast Steel Boker to Glen Mercurio for restoration. Thought I'd share the before and after:

Before:
    320E09F2-ADF8-4D10-839C-518291A1E491_1_201_a.jpeg
    E9A6175B-672F-42E4-9E09-E56FF7E18DA1_1_201_a.jpeg

After:
    BCD0DE36-B000-444B-80C3-72A56DE964A5.jpeg

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

wow, what a story. It is fate and they CofA and razor be reunited.

esvh, jgreenepa, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

It definitely seemed to be the case. I know I’m happy. :)

14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Factory Fresh Mint ERN Solingen 5/8th Arriving from Italy..Looks Larger than a 5/8th to Me Mind..Its a Rare Bird Made in the 1930 s From a Kayser Ellison Sheffield Steel Blank & Ground in Germany..I Like Rare Birds in my Den..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Keithmax, esvh, lindyhopper66 and 8 others like this.
  15. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Daaaaaaammmmmmnnnnn Billy that is a stunning bird for sure! I've got a straight that says Krone U myself, but definitely not that nice. Happy Shaving my friend!

16. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

Edison Carter, esvh, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve been remiss in checking up on this thread, beautiful steel, and here’s some more, just arrived....

D8B33013-FB01-409C-B633-D36FE6DB0A67.jpeg 924DB8DE-42BF-4A60-A765-635D9CB857C4.jpeg

18. Billyfergie

19. TestDepth

Beautiful Steve. With a stunner like that, you sometimes throw it up as a pair... 1 or 2 with this? :)

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’d love to find another Tom, you don’t happen to have one in your razor stash do you? :)