Why a Travel Set-Up Rant

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by poppi, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Closed up. 16018629490436544702075971105396.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jake,nice work..:cool:

Jake Gibson likes this.
  3. Jake Gibson

Thanks it's going to be cool when it's done and I've already gotten the ok for it to stay on the bathroom counter because my wife likes the way it looks opened and closed so that's a bonus!

4. brit

brit in a box

most important..:)

Jake Gibson likes this.
  5. Jake Gibson

Right?!?! I mean I tend to joke around about her giving me a hard time about my new obsession and I'm fairly certain she doesn't actually care about 5/8 or 6/8 or having a barbers notch or not like she says she does but she's definitely been my rock and some good natured ribbing really keeps me in check....and from spending way too much money online ;)

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

my wife likes my hobby as i am not spending thousands on restoring old cars any more..careful with the vintage straights and honing supplies..the nice stuff gets pricey i bet..does for gillettes as well..;)

Jake Gibson likes this.
  7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

When traveling I pack with me a Saiver travelers razor. It gives me a decent shave and it is easy to replace it if it would get lost. They can be had for about 10$ including shipping. So the reason for me: I am afraid of losing my favorite razor during the travel.

Enrico likes this.
  8. Jake Gibson

Definitely for Gillettes! When I first started I was buying almost everything I saw that I thought I had to have in my collection!

9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else but I don't use "marginal" stuff for my dedicated travel set up. When I was working I taveled about 25% of the time. I'm on the East Coast of the US so most of my travel was down south to Florida or out west to California. Because I was traveling a fair amount and was pretty busy with the job, family and other life stuff, I felt I would benefit from having a bag permanently packed for travel. My kit I put together consists of an inexpensive and mild yet quality razor, RazoRock Mission head on a Edwin Jagger DE89 chrome handle, RazoRock Plissoft synthetic brush, an inexpensive stainless covered lather bowl that weighs next to nothing, and a bag containing a tube of cream and containers of witch hazel, two aftershaves and some alum. My choices for stuff was first to be inexpensive so that if they were lost or stolen I would not care too much but they also needed to provide me with a a good quality shave. I went with a mild razor so if I happened to have a bad day, I wouldn't rip my face to shreads. I will add that since I usually carry my bags on the plane as I don't want to risk losing my bags on a business trip, I take a Mach 3 with me along with the rest of my normal stuff. But when I check bags or drive, I'm taking my double edge. And all I need to do when I get home and unpack is check the kit to make sure I'm fully stocked and put it away until the next trip. Saves time and aggravation and I take the same stuff that I would normally use at home. No marginal stuff for me.

Droo78 likes this.