October 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Will you be focusing on an Open Comb razor?

1. Absolutely, I have them all shined up and ready for shaving.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I will mix it up, closed and open comb razors.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I haven't used a comb for many years.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am a straight razor shaver, you open comb shavers don't know what you're missing.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I use an open comb razor, will I finally get some cookies?

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Charlie and I will leave your last comment between you and Joseph. :D

jgreenepa, wristwatchb, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :happy096:

jgreenepa, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  3. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

A lot of people find feathers to be too sharp for their liking, but i have to say, i got beautiful shaves out of one of them over the last month, and they're my favourite blades for sure! They pair super well with a mild razor, so i paired them with my UK made super speed flare tip.

I ended up getting 18 uses from the blade, and used the same setup for the first 15 before switching the brush and soap for the last 3. It provided tug free shaves up until the last 3, these blades never cease to amaze me for sure.

I also decided to use my stick of Arko as much as possible so that i can finally say i finished a soap, and as you can see, I'm getting pretty close. This stick has 1.5 years of use on it, being used on average at least once a week during that time, so it offers near unbeatable performance and value at the price for sure.

The second soap I used was rooi Afrikaner, which is my local arko alternative, with a beautiful artisan worthy scent, and a price that puts it in about the same category as arko. Performance wise they're near identical, with plenty of slickness.

The aftershave is a real special one, i inherited this one from my dad, who as far as i know got it from my grandfather, so a very sentimental aftershave.

Shave 1-15:
    Razor: Gillette super speed flare tip (UK)
    Brush: Omega 49
    Soap: arko shave stick
    Blade: feather hi-stainless
    Aftershave: ego, Bahama mist

Shave 16-18
    Razor: Gillette super speed flare tip (UK)
    Brush: Wilkinson sword classic shave
    Soap: bundubeard Rooi Afrikaner
    Blade: feather hi-stainless
    Aftershave: ego, Bahama mist[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sorry to hear you’re having a rough week. Take care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Daniel.

6. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

3931B06B-0A40-4C28-99A2-CBCA66D13A84.jpeg
    SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 8, 2020

Another beautiful day here in the Philadelphia suburbs, and time for the comparison shave between my Gold Dollar (Black) and the Crescent City (Blue) Gold Monkey. Slash McCoy (@Slash McCoy), honemeister and practitioner of the “Method” - a lapping films honing approach he references on his Crescent City Razors site - purchases Gold Dollar razors in bulk and hones them for resale so they are truly ‘shave ready‘. Slash has a great reputation for the stellar shaves his rehoned razors deliver. I purchased a $5 Gold Dollar razor on Alibaba and reset the bevel on a Shapton 1k and then finished the edge on my jasper stone and a pasted strop followed by a leather strop. Being retired, I spent a fair amount of time going back and forth between the jasper finishing stone and my USB microscope to ensure I arrived at the smoothest edge I could.

I then decided to shave each side of my face with a different razor. The result was a simply splendid shave. I was unable to determine which razor was preferred. They did shave differently. I was able to determine that Slash’s reputation is well earned. His razor shaved cleanly on my favored dominant (left) side. I will say that on the sharp continuum his razor was a harder Sharp than mine, but I’m sure he didn’t spend anywhere near the amount of time I did going back and forth between the USB microscope and the jasper stone until my edge was gleaming. The shave on the right (non-dominant) side of my mug felt just a tad smoother, but that may also reflect wish fulfillment on my part. In any case, I have no problem wholeheartedly endorsing Crescent City razors! They’re well worth the price and a great starter razor for the new straight razor shaver looking for a cost-effective dependable starter/learning straight razor.

For this morning’s dome shave I selected one of my two 1905 Gillette Single Ring silver plated Old Types (OT). The MrEE Monster Synth generated a thick, slick, yogurty MWF dome lather for the shave. I shave my dome with three types of SE razor - DE, SE, and AC which is an SE variant, but I find the AC shaves distinctively superior to my injectors and Gem razors, due most likely to my exclusive use of the Feather Super blade in them. All safety razors are really just blade holders each of which is designed to present the enclosed blade to the shaving surface. DE and SE blades may be torqued in a variety of ways dependent upon head design and blade gap all of which is irrelevant to the task at hand. The Gillette OT is the second model of Gillette DE safety razor following on the highly sought after Double Ring. Neither shaves as well or as closely for me as my favorite Gillette DE, the New LC. The razor was selected because it is an OC. The shave was close, and left me with a smooth noggin, but just didn’t feel as satisfying as my Feather Super shaves despite my use of a Feather DE blade. In any case, I do feel clean, smooth and refreshed. Enjoy your day!

RAZOR: Gold Dollar and Gold Monkey 5/8 Razors (Mug), Gillette Single Ring Old Type (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE Monster Tuxedo Synthetic
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with PAA Frost Byte AS Splash.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    See post #2295

jgreenepa, Hembree, jluc and 4 others like this.
  8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Marvelous shave, pic and post Barry!

9. Trigger

Superb shaves Keith!

jgreenepa, Hembree, jluc and 2 others like this.
  10. Trigger

:)

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fabulous work Danny. You resurrected that razor from the dead.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and shave recap Daniel

13. Trigger

Nice, nice, nice Jim!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew.

jgreenepa, Hembree, jluc and 3 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Oh. I fell off the wagon. I ordered the LEA shave soap in a wooden bowl and the matching aftershave

16. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Patrick..:cool:..

9nein9, jgreenepa, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Glad you got it figured out and fixed.

b1hart, jgreenepa, jluc and 3 others like this.
  18. Trigger

Excellent MWF shave Clint.

19. brit

brit in a box

awesome Pierpaolo..:cool:.cool razor..

20. brit

brit in a box

awesome shaves and pics Keith:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.