War of the Adjustables!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Which Adjustable Razor Do You Prefer?

1. Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Other

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Merkur Progress

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Parker Variant

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. PAA Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus/Crusader/Meiji

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Other (Comment Below)

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Well, okay, not a war at all, but a poll and a discussion (I hope) about your adjustable razor preference, why you prefer it, or just discuss the pros and cons of various adjustable razors and what you like and dislike and why.

I even included a poll with multiple options in case you have a hard time deciding between two or more of the ones listed. I hope this will be an ongoing thread that ends up with something like a thousand pages or more, ha ha!

2. Michael_W

I suppose I should start off this discussion with the two razors I like and why I hold them above some of the others.

For me, it was a tie between the Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant. Although I also have an Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb and a Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus, as well as a Gillette Fatboy and a vintage Wizamet W-11, these two are my go-to razors. I feel that their weight and balance are best on my sensitive middle-aged face, and for performance, they're so close as to be virtually indistinguishable from one another. Of course, that's because the Variant was designed as a Progress clone, so that oughtn't be surprising. But in terms of overall design, the knurling on the Variant wins out between the two.

Now, if we're talking about sheer aggressiveness, the Emperor Augustus and the AOC are, hands down, the fiercest razors in my collection. Even on their mildest setting, they're still competitive with the medium range shaving tools presently on the market. And it's because they are so aggressive that they're not used as often as the other two, though I do break them out for special occasions or holidays.

As for vintage adjustables, my W-11 and my Fatboy get used from time to time, but I plan to have them restored and re-plated to increase their resale value in the event I decide to sell them or just keep them in my collection to pass down to my son when he's old enough to start shaving.

Now, obviously there are other adjustable razors on the merket like the Q-Shave Parthenon and the Weishi Nostalgic adjustable, but I don't own either of them and so cannot make an evaluation thereof. But if any of you has tried either of them, please feel free to offer your thoughts below.

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

For me I agree that the Merkur Futur is my best modern adjustable. For the vintage choice I’m picking the Gillette Black Beauty Superadjustable 109 with metal base place (mine’s a 1969 model, my birth year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaT and Michael_W like this.
  4. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I prefer, by a long way, the Merkur Progress over all the others and I have tried several of them. The only other one that I do like and use on occasion, is the Viking.

Herm2502 and Michael_W like this.
  5. Michael_W

Yeah, Progress is one of my favorites, although I do have complaints about the lack of knurling on the handle and the plastic adjustment knob. It's definitely not a razor to use in the shower. Still, as retro styles go, it's a real work of art surpassing all others in beauty.

6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Don't think it's fair to lump the Gillette adjustables together. My Slim preforms and feels much better than my Fat Boy, or Super Adjustable (Black Beauty).

Michael_W likes this.
  7. Michael_W

Sorry! I was trying to keep the poll options in a reasonable category limit. A dozen or more specific ones, I think I'd have run out of poll options.

8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

There are a lot. Off the top you forgot the Rockwell Model T, Gibbs (and variants, Rex Ambassador, Personna, Heritage, etc), Berkeley, as well as the Single Edge adjustables...

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I’m shocked that the futur wasn’t categorized.
    I also would like to mention the Berkeley Custom Shaver as a nominee for use and function. And maybe one of the oldest.

Michael_W and Weasel640 like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Schick M adjustable should be on the list. It’s one of my favorite adjustable razors.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You beat me by about 45 minutes. The M is hands down the best. That being said an adjustable is more of a gimmick anyway. No real need for them. They look fun though and if not damaged they will all get the job done. My motto is “Turn it up... Leave it up.... and Turn it loose. “

wristwatchb, Jim99, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

Vintage - Gibbs 15/17
    Modern - Taiga OC
    You guys that know me - this should come as no surprise

Northstonehill, Jim99 and Michael_W like this.
  13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

My favorite is the FatBoy. It gives me a great shave, and has the right weight and length to feel good in my hand. YMMV.
    Honorable mentions go to the Slim and Progress.

In an absolute sense, no need for them, agreed, but there good reasons for them.

You could pick a non-adjustable razor and then search for a blade that has the right level of aggressiveness to match the razor, and then stick to that combo for life (or a reasonable facsimile).
    Alternatively, with an adjustable razor, you could mix your blade usage and then adjust the razor to suit.

Or you could set the adjustable to a low setting when you're shaving half-asleep or in a rush, and to a higher setting when you're alert and unrushed, ready to pay more attention and enjoy the moment.

Rayzor, wheatshocker, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

good for quick convenience in that sense..being i use gillettes 95% of the time i usually have 3 on the go,so i pick the tool for the job with it's matched blade,but that's just me..i sold all my adjustables..:)

Jim99, Lancre and Michael_W like this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Right. We all have different approaches to shaving and pick the tools that work for us. Room for all.

Michael_W and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

right..

Michael_W likes this.
  17. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I love my SUPER 84 BLACK BEAUTY

BamaT, José Santos and Michael_W like this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Of all the adjustable razors that I have used, the Progress is the best. Futur is too big, and Fatboy's are overrated, IMHO.

Adjustable razors aside, the 2011 R41 has been my daily driver for many years.

Rayzor and Michael_W like this.
  19. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Make love, not war!

No adjustable razors for me, thanks!
    Gillette NEW was long time invented, we do not have to downgrade from there.

brit, Michael_W and Herm2502 like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have the Gillette Fatboy, Regus Thinboy, Black Beauty, Parker Variant, and Schick M. I think I like the Schick M best of all.
    Schick_adj11.JPG